IMG_0601 (resized).JPG
IMG_0600 (resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Just got my pinbits blackout mod for my MB. Game works great, no GI issues. Plugged the blackout in last night according to the instructions and it didn't work. To recap:

Took out j105 connector and put blackout mod in place. Then reconnected j105 on top. Didn't work as it should. Just didn't blackout but everything else worked fine.

Then I swapped j105 and j106. Now part of the pf won't light as it should (one of frank's purple lights).

Swapped it back to the first way with blackout installed. Now the wrong characters in the backbox light up (Creature lights when should be Drac). Never noticed that before.

Sounds like the wrong connectors are in the wrong places but haven't noticed anything like that before. No connector pins are broken and nothing is burnt.

Here are some pics of the driver board.

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Hey AG
I have not seen one of these installed but in your pic the IDC connectors to J105 and J106 are reversed. The Br, O, Y, W-Br, W-O, W-Y connector should be connected to J105.
Double check how you installed the Pinbits board. Make sure all the pins line up. Are you off by one pin on the driver board? Almost looks like it should be plugged in more to the left.
Wally

#3 7 years ago

Switched them as you suggested and made sure all pins were in the right spot. Didn't do it.

The connectors themselves are keyed so you can't screw it up, but the blackout mod isn't.

I took the blackout mod off altogether and the backbox does the same by lighting up the wrong character.

J105 and 106 are replacement connectors from what I can see. Is it possible whoever did it lined up the wrong wires in the connectors?

#4 7 years ago

Hey AG
I looked at the Pinbits site and you did have the IDC connectors in the correct location with the backbox (insert panel GI) plugged into the Pinbits board. It looked like the Pinbits board was plugged in one pin off so if that is OK I'm out of ideas other than the board is bad.
Wally

3 months later
#5 7 years ago

Hey did you ever figure this out? I just got my blackout mod and it doesn't work. Not getting issues like you but the blackout mod isn't working.

5 months later
#6 7 years ago

I brought a Pinbits black out mod for my MB and I'm sure I installed it right, even though the instructions are a bit confusing IMO, but no luck getting it to work. I was going to try switching the 105 & 106 connectors but decided not to as know they were correct. I then started having weird issues with my sound then my color DMD had turned into lines, switches were not working. I disconnected it and the game went back to normal? IDK think I'm going to forget about it.

#7 7 years ago

Not sure whats going on with yours..... can u take some pics?it definitely sld not of messed with all that other stuff u mentioned since you just mess with the the 2 gi connections to install it. I just installed a few and its the easiest and best mod to install imo for wpc 95 pins....such a big difference especially in a dark room on mb and afm...

#8 7 years ago

Yes I can do that tomorrow, and thanks for the help, I had signed out and just checked back in before calling it a night, really was looking forward to this mod but didn't want to chance messing stuff up.

#9 7 years ago

Here are the pics. I attached the rear of the pinbits connector to the top J105 connector I never touched the bottom J106 as I didn't see any reason to as that controls PF GI

IMG_0600 (resized).JPGIMG_0600 (resized).JPG

IMG_0601 (resized).JPGIMG_0601 (resized).JPG

IMG_0602 (resized).JPGIMG_0602 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Here are the pics. I attached the rear of the pinbits connector to the top J105 connector I never touched the bottom J106 as I didn't see any reason to as that controls PF GI

Hmm somethings definitely different and i usually dont like to see wirenuts nack there also. My plug is wired very different so i believe that's your issue... pic on the way

#11 7 years ago

20170202_134157.jpg20170202_134157.jpg

#12 7 years ago

From comparing our pics yours backbox plug isnt wired the same and is probably why the mod isnt working properly and causing other issues

#13 7 years ago

Take a look at pic at J105 at the beginning of this post...your J105 has an extra white wire (not sure what that is) and purple is in the wrong place...let alone one of the white wires is in the wrong place...so you'll get power to those strings, but the control will not match from a blackout perspective....trace those wires and get ready to re-pin J105...hope you get to enjoy my mod soon!! Matt

#14 7 years ago

Really want the mod to work but not so sure I'm willing to switch wires around at this point. The game was restored over 5 years ago and some wires may have been moved to correct positions for functionality but incorrect to originality. I plan on getting an AFM at some point so I may just keep this for that game. thanks for help and info

#15 7 years ago

So taking a quick look at the manual - the answer is pretty clear...remember that J105 and J106 supply the same power in the same manner, but for the blackout mod to work, it must be tied to the correct wiring harness (i.e. playfield vs backbox GI) ...in BOTH of your pics, J105 should be where the backbox wiring ties to - this is the connector with 6 wires...this is where the blackout mod was designed to go..to blackout the backbox...what you BOTH have is the mod on 4 wire connector - traditionally at J106 which is GI to the playfield....it would appear that bigd1979 has the mod on the wrong connector...meaning the playfield GI goes out - not the backbox - same for bonzo442 - HOWEVER your wiring is clearly wrong - with an extra wire probably used to power some sort of mod ...anyway - it's in the manual pg 3-31.... simply put - if you both merely keep the mod at J105 and swap the connectors - your backbox, blackout mod will work as intended....at least in the way I invented it....

#16 7 years ago

In other words take my connector at J105 which was on top remove and place mod there.....then take out J106 connector and place into mod.....then take the other connector that was originally on top at J105 and place it on the bottom at J106? But before I do that I have to figure out and fix the wiring issue. I'm thinking of giving it a swap 1st without moving wires just to see what happens or is that to risky?

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Sonic:

So taking a quick look at the manual - the answer is pretty clear...remember that J105 and J106 supply the same power in the same manner, but for the blackout mod to work, it must be tied to the correct wiring harness (i.e. playfield vs backbox GI) ...in BOTH of your pics, J105 should be where the backbox wiring ties to - this is the connector with 6 wires...this is where the blackout mod was designed to go..to blackout the backbox...what you BOTH have is the mod on 4 wire connector - traditionally at J106 which is GI to the playfield....it would appear that bigd1979 has the mod on the wrong connector...meaning the playfield GI goes out - not the backbox - same for bonzo442 - HOWEVER your wiring is clearly wrong - with an extra wire probably used to power some sort of mod ...anyway - it's in the manual pg 3-31.... simply put - if you both merely keep the mod at J105 and swap the connectors - your backbox, blackout mod will work as intended....at least in the way I invented it....

Sorry but you are incorrect and the plugs are switched so you can hook up the the mod much eaiser . . J 105 and 106 on db are identical so it dont matter which gi plug goes where on the db. I have this mod on 3 wpc95 pins and used it on many others. The way my picture is fine as ive never had a issue. As long as the blackout is plugged into the backbox gi plug it will work. Thr op backbox gi wireing on the plug is incorrect and is why its not working.......

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

In other words take my connector at J105 which was on top remove and place mod there.....then take out J106 connector and place into mod.....then take the other connector that was originally on top at J105 and place it on the bottom at J106? But before I do that I have to figure out and fix the wiring issue. I'm thinking of giving it a swap 1st without moving wires just to see what happens or is that to risky?

You need to rewire your backbox plug like mine . It dont matter what place on the driver board the mod is as they are identical .

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Sorry but you are incorrect and the plugs are switched so you can hook up the the mod much eaiser . . J 105 and 106 on db are identical so it dont matter which gi plug goes where on the db. I have this mod on 3 wpc95 pins and used it on many others. The way my picture is fine as ive never had a issue. As long as the blackout is plugged into the backbox gi plug it will work. Thr op backbox gi wireing on the plug is incorrect and is why its not working.......

No, I'm not incorrect...(I created your mod, don't forget) in fact you reiterated what I said..J105/106 is the same on the driver board - but which connector goes to the backbox GI is the one the mod goes on...in the manual it shows the following (see attached) - I don't have a MB anymore to verify, but you can see it says the 6 wire connector (again doesn't matter where on the driver board it goes) predominately in white and orange is the to the insert panel - to me the backbox - while the 4 wire connector in violet and white is the playfield.....again, this is from the manual...so I can't verify...but where we do agree is that the backbox connector is where the mod goes - so all bonzo has to do is unplug to verify...then he needs to re-wire his backbox connector as well as figure out what the extra wire is for.....it's likely he has mods tied to this in some manner....

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#20 7 years ago

Now I'm really confused. The schematic shows pins 5 and 6 as the ones that don't have triacs to control them.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#21 7 years ago

Manual is wrong then i guess?.... bc my above picture is from mb and everything works as it sld...

#22 7 years ago

If he rewires his backbox plug like mine everything sld work fine.....

#23 7 years ago

Just checked alll 3 my wpc 95 pins and all have the exact wireing as the picture i posted above and all 3 have blackout mod and work as intended? I believe if op rewires that plug like the way mine is in the picture than everything sld work as intended....

#24 7 years ago

Playfield uses 3 gi sections /wires and backbox only 2 gi wires in all my wpc 95 pins. So the manual is incorrect ....and definitely has the colors wrong also for the backbox wires. Also labled backwards is the playfield and backbox wireing...

#25 7 years ago

Yep, the manual is amiss...sadly....but the main thing is Bonzo's wiring on the connector is wrong (like you noted) - he fixes that (well figure out what it goes to just in case something else is amiss) and he'll be good...should take a sec...

Herg you are correct...I take the triac control on those pins and use it to power the relay in the mod to take the backbox lights up/down that don't have triac control... you've now took the step I took 10 years ago with my newly purchased AFM!

#26 7 years ago

OK I'll try first to switch the connectors and keep the mod at J105, if that doesn't work I'll try and put my wires in the correct positions but of course I will still have to figure out what that extra white wire does.

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

OK I'll try first to switch the connectors and keep the mod at J105, if that doesn't work I'll try and put my wires in the correct positions but of course I will still have to figure out what that extra white wire does.

Ok but the other connector is for the playfield so it wont change anything. Im wondering if that wire capped white wire belongs to the extra one in backbox connector? Not sure who did the restore but sld not have wire caps and plugs wired incorrectly . Good luck with everything.....

#28 7 years ago

Ok so big you were right the capped white wire was the extra white wire so I took that out. Then I switched the white and the purple but unfortunately verticals white lines on my color DMD and everything screwed up. So I put the wires where they were without the capped wire and still vertical lines on DMD. WTF so I replaced the capped white wire and all is well again in MB land. IDK but want to thank you and sonic for the help. Other than this the game is mint I bought from a collector over 6 years ago and he did the work himself but I can't find him anywhere for last couple of years. He was an electrician by trade too?

#29 7 years ago

Wow, none of that makes sense....the white capped wire is a couple inches long and goes nowhere? But somehow it's tied to your ColorDMD? 10,11 and 5,6 are the only wires supposed to be on that plug.....I know everything works, but there is some sort of hack here....if it were me, I'd get to the bottom of it...theese are just GI strings in the backbox - you can do no harm by having one 'connected' at a time and see what each does...none of that should be tied to your DMD in anyway....

#30 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Fitted mine today - wrong initially.

Mine works by fitting mod into J105.

Putting J105 into mod.

J106 just stays in same place.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from bonzo442:

Ok so big you were right the capped white wire was the extra white wire so I took that out. Then I switched the white and the purple but unfortunately verticals white lines on my color DMD and everything screwed up. So I put the wires where they were without the capped wire and still vertical lines on DMD. WTF so I replaced the capped white wire and all is well again in MB land. IDK but want to thank you and sonic for the help. Other than this the game is mint I bought from a collector over 6 years ago and he did the work himself but I can't find him anywhere for last couple of years. He was an electrician by trade too?

Definitely need to fix whatever that hack is.....

#32 7 years ago

Yes very strange that a capped wire has to be there or else the game acts crazy not just the DMD but everything else too.......other than that the game plays like a champ all original boards and never any issues......IDK.......I'll get to the bottom of it someday but for now I'm going to leave it be.

#33 7 years ago

Do not go gentle into that good night! Keep at it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 75.00
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 12.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-blackout-mod-and-backbox-connector-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.