Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by pinbob
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

My AFM's SOL ball popper is really nasty in that it kicks about half the time to the left outlane. Really kills me to start martian attack and have it end right right away without a single flip. I've gone underneath and loosened the screws and tried to rotate it within the slight amount of slack and retighten, but it does not help.

My MB will kick the ball out of the scoop STDM about 1 in 30 kicks, though it gets into patterns where it consistently does it and then it passes.

Not sure if there's an alignment method I'm missing? Any ideas or tips?

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

When I had a MB, I took a drill and made the holes oval shape so when mounting the bracket I could turn it in the direction I wanted to change the shot path.

LTG

#3 12 years ago

I have a AFM restoration and for the first 4 months it shot the ball down the middle. Eventually the diagnosis was a new scoop, even though it was a already a new scoop! Anyway since the new scoop it has behaved perfectly!

Does that make sense?

#4 12 years ago

LTG, yeah I thought about tweaking the holes to allow rotation.... Did it solve the problem with no issues down the road? I don't want to lift the playfield and adjust it every 5 games.

#5 12 years ago

Simonakapw, I have considered buying a new scoop but I would hate for it to have the same problem.... Thanks for the info though, interesting that even new ones can exhibit the issue. Make me think it might just be luck of the draw on how it's mounted.

#6 12 years ago

I'd bet your VUK is bent just enough to send the ball where you don't want it to go. You might have to get off the wallet and buy a new VUK.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Exejet:

I'd bet your VUK is bent just enough to send the ball where you don't want it to go. You might have to get off the wallet and buy a new VUK.

That may be the issue. Only problem is there is no real way to tell without getting a new VUK. I know this is a bit basic but are you sure the playfield is completely level pinbob?

Anyone else that owns an AFM have any thoughts on the issue?

#8 12 years ago

The first scoop I had was brand new. A friend twisted it to try and get it to work but it got worse. He sent it back and the guy confirmed it was faulty.

It was so good that the replacement works so well

#9 12 years ago

You do not need a new weld mount.My MB weld mount is broken it has shot the ball SDTM for years. I finely took out the screws and turned the scoop to the left just a bit and then remounted it.Works much better.

#10 12 years ago

I had the issue on my AFM and while restoring replaced with a new Mantis scoop. It solved the problem and the kickout is spot on 99%(made this number up but can't say for sure that is perfect every time) of the time.

If wanting to use your existing I would try bending the top of the scoop to see if it helps.
Also try Lloyds suggestion. Another is to make sure your coil is striking the ball straight on.

Good luck, annoying as sh#t when that scoop is inaccurate.

#11 12 years ago

Both games are level at 6.5 degree incline. Left to right leveling is also within .1 degrees.

I don't have a problem buying a replacement and mantis was the one I was looking to buy. Just wanted to know that is was necessary and was going to solve this issue.

I'll check the alignment of the coil and maybe even cleaning it (although it's plenty strong as it is).

Please keep sending the ideas!

#12 12 years ago

So I loosened the popper bracket on the underside and again tried to turn it as far away from the left outlane as possible. It is better, shooting to the left kicker or left flipper as it should. I only played a few games, but time will tell if it just slips back to drain shots.

#13 12 years ago

Thanks for posting what seemed to fix the problem pinbob, could be of some help to others in the future. Hope that fixes your issues for good!

Man on a side note, you have a pretty epic collection!!!

#14 12 years ago

Seems like the SOL VUK can be finicky on AFM. After my restore, it was kicking to the slingshot. I messed with it and it didn't seem to help much. Then all of a sudden it started kicking to the left flipper or maybe a little higher to the lane guide on occasion. Basically all was well and it was fine.

Then a couple weeks ago it started kicking up higher again. I messed with it again and it now seems okay. By "messing with it" I mean: 1) loosening the assembly and trying to orient it to the right, 2) Adjusting the orientation of the coil on the VUK, 3) Trying to tweak the scoop so that it shoots more to the right.

Sounds like you've tried all these. I guess a new assembly wouldn't hurt, but it may be one of those things that you just have to stay on top of and adjust occasionally.

#15 12 years ago

So on AFM I loosened all the screws and really held it tight to the right (clockwise, looking from underneath) and tightened the screws. I also re-adjusted the solenoid bolts. Visually it looked the same but this time the popper is throwing the ball to either the left slingshot or left flipper. This is how I believe it should work. I'm hoping it stays put this time. So finicky, haven't had another pin exhibit this (my ST:TNG has been rock solid for two years so I guess I shouldn't complain!).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.95
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 21.50
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 72.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mb-and-afm-popper-alignment-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.