Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200124_093826 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
20200122_174825 (resized).jpg
20200122_174751 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Hello all, I have a 1966 Gottlieb mayfair I just got and I have everything working pretty much. I do have one issue I have not been able to figure out. The backbox GI lights will not work. All of the rest of the lights on the backbox works. If I ground to the coin door I get the same reading on both sides of the fuse for the backbox. The backbox fuse reads the same as the playfield light fuse reads. If I run a jumper wire from the coin door for ground and then touch both sides of the GI light socket in the backbox they both read the same like 4.68v. Does anyone know how these backbox GI lights are powered. Does the power or common/ground run through a relay or something? It almost has to because when I plug this machine in nothing comes on until I press the play button to start a game. Pressing the left flipper button does nothing which I do not know if it is suppose to. If it was a direct connection the GI lights would come on as soon as you plugged it in. Someone has replaced the transformer at some point. If you need anymore info please let me know. Thanks

I wouldnt use the coin door as your point of reference. It should be isolated. But yea, either the fuse (you could briefly jumper around the fuse) or the jones plug. Try slightly unseating/reseating the plugs in the head from the bottom board and see if they come alive. I have 5 foot alligator jumpers I use for issues like these, grabbing power off the fuse block and bringing it to the "hot" braid on the backboard.

Head GI lights are not controlled by a relay (pf gi is)

#4 4 years ago

On your transformer the white lead on the backside is one side of the 6v feed and then the nearest lead on the front side is the other. Solid white with a red? tracer

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#6 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Are you talking about the yellow wire coming off of the back side of the transformer that they have the 2 wires hooked to it with the big red wire nut? If so maybe one of those wires is not making contact inside the red wire nut. The machine came with another transformer that I think was the original. Both transformers have the same number on them. The weird thing is the other one that came with the machine does not have a lead coming out of the back of it. Unless it broke off maybe. Maybe that's why they replaced it. What do you think? Thanks

There are other model of transformers where both 6v leads are on the front rather than 1 back 1 front... put your volt meter across the leads and measure.

But yea check the wire nut. the "yellow" should be the return, the white red the fused lead.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Yeah the thing is this machine has no coin chute lights. I seen that on the schematics but there is no lights. No place for lights.

There may be a bulb on the underside of the pf up near this older style chute, but it will just be a part of the pf GI

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballman3:

Ok. I didn't have a lot of time to mess with it today. Should the backbox GI lights come on when the machine is plugged in? I did check voltage between the back lug and the lug that pinhead52 said was the other. When the machine is plugged in but a game is not started there is no voltage there. If I start a game there is 6.38 volts there. Thanks

These early machines had a hold relay, no nothing when its plugged in, no on/off power switch. It only comes to life when you hit the start switch (credits available) or adding a coin.

Lift the pf, and manually close the hold relay...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead52.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mayfair-backbox-gi-lights-not-working?tu=pinhead52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.