(Topic ID: 258602)

maybe the robocallers will finally go away.

By cottonm4

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cottonm4
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Here is crossing my fingers that this will work.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/31/politics/trump-signs-robo-call-bill/index.html

"President Donald Trump signed a bill on Monday that increases fines on criminal robocall violations and cracks down on companies making the calls, as part of a federal push against telephone scammers..."

#3 4 years ago

They won’t. Just enjoy them. That’s all you can do.

#4 4 years ago

who doesnt hate these people? id love to know their actual success rate.

#5 4 years ago

They already don't comply with DNC listings, so unless they actually start prosecuting them, I don't hold out much hope. I actually enjoy trying to keep them on the phone as long as possible, and if I can get them to the point that they tell me to F-off, I've won. Sites like fakecreditcard, etc can generate all the creds on the fly, and between stalling (someone at the door/another call), and acting like you can't hear them / understand, etc., getting them exasperated is cheap entertainment.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from salbol1:

They already don't comply with DNC listings, so unless they actually start prosecuting them, I don't hold out much hope. I actually enjoy trying to keep them on the phone as long as possible, and if I can get them to the point that they tell me to F-off, I've won. Sites like fakecreditcard, etc can generate all the creds on the fly, and between stalling (someone at the door/another call), and acting like you can't hear them / understand, etc., getting them exasperated is cheap entertainment.

One day you will get tired of toying with them and see that are a waste of your time.

My new approach is answer the call and remain silent and see if the other side speaks. After 5 seconds the scammer will hang up.

I'll see if this works. Nothing has been working so far and, as you note, without any prosecution nothing will change.

#7 4 years ago

Not sure when it was added, but I noticed about two months ago Apple iPhones now have an option in settings to “Send unknown callers to voicemail”. If they’re not a contact, or in your recent placed call history they get the treatment. My phone has been quiet ever since, and I’m loving it.

#8 4 years ago

There have been many lame attempts at this by various politicos that are
    up for election. The bottom line is as long as the phone co's
    and other lobbyists are making money, nothing will really
    change.

Sure hope I'm wrong as we seem to be on someones
    sucker list and get several calls a day as early as 7:30AM and as late as 9 PM.
    If I have time enjoy screwing around with them to waste their time.
    Steve

#9 4 years ago

I know one thing, those guys in the Pakistan call-centers know every American cuss-word that there is. I’ve even picked up on a few of theirs......lol.

#10 4 years ago

The Pakistani IRS is threatening to send out the cops if I don’t comply with their demands!

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Not sure when it was added, but I noticed about two months ago Apple iPhones now have an option in settings to “Send unknown callers to voicemail”. If they’re not a contact, or in your recent placed call history they get the treatment. My phone has been quiet ever since, and I’m loving it.

Pro Move, I do this with my Android. Phone on Do Not Disturb set rule to allow contacts to ring. 100% of my calls are people I know. EZ Game

It amazes me the number of seemingly education folks that think playing along with scammers is a good use of their time.

#12 4 years ago

Will this cover the spoofing of numbers claiming to be credit card , gas company etc.

#13 4 years ago

For home line, ATT CL82207. Problem solved.

#14 4 years ago

Why would you answer the call? That confirms it’s a good number, ensuring repeat tries.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from salbol1:

They already don't comply with DNC listings

Seems like ever since I signed up I've been getting more calls.

I keep my phone on vibrate and in my pocket all day so I don't even notice anyone calling for the most part. And I won't answer anyway unless they're in my contact list.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Thank You sir! It is under Privacy/Phone/Silence You just made my day.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Why would you answer the call? That confirms it’s a good number, ensuring repeat tries.

That's a nice feature. Unfortunately, I do not have the option of not answering calls. Not everybody is in my contact list. There are some numbers that show the town/city the calls are "being made from" and when I recognize repeat calls from these towns I don't answer the call.

I don't even bother to physically block calls anymore because the scammers are spoofers, too, and blocking the number does no good because the next time they will call using a different spoof number.

I did have a list of blocked numbers that was as long as your arm, but somehow I managed to place my banker in my blocked numbers file. I had to unblock them all to rectify this situation.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wickerman2:

Not sure if you were responding to me, but the numbers are copied ( spoofed) to represent local numbers in each persons city , state.

For me it started in late 2016 missed called , and dialed back they said they had not called. Picture texted the number and they said that was their number. So I have to answer and if a prerecorded message starts I hang up and delete number.

#19 4 years ago

I can block wildcard strings of numbers on my home voip line. I actually send them to a local movie line. It included any number that calls with my first 3 digits,l toll free and unknowns. They try to make look like a neighbour. Doesn't even ring anymore. I see it on my call list.

People need to stop falling for these clowns and don't bother answering. If you ignore them, they eventually go away. I have been using the iphone block feature for months. I see the call that was missed and can call it back, but I usually google it first. Most come up as scams or someone else's name. Also if you call a number, iphone will not block it if they call you back even if they are not in your contact list. Put in a voice mail greeting to say my phone blocks unknown numbers, please leave a vm and I will call you right back. If they need to speak to you, they will leave a message.

These scam calls are next to never for me now.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from boscokid:

It amazes me the number of seemingly education folks that think playing along with scammers is a good use of their time.

Well not talkin' bout me, I aint edjumacated !! If I screw with them, it's kinda if I feel like it, not like this is the path always taken....

2 weeks later
    #21 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

One day you will get tired of toying with them and see that are a waste of your time.
    My new approach is answer the call and remain silent and see if the other side speaks. After 5 seconds the scammer will hang up.
    I'll see if this works. Nothing has been working so far and, as you note, without any prosecution nothing will change.

This is a great approach, if you noticed there’s a ticking/tapping sounds when you answer scam calls and then it suddenly kicks over to the Hindi/Paki call center.
    They use robo-callers to call literally every number, then when answered it listens for your response. If there is silence it usually strikes your number off the list. There’s a certain way they figure out if it’s a business or a private residence, and it will mark that number as active.
    The silence method works the best. By far. Ignoring does nothing, they already know the line is a legit number because it rings through.
    I’ve had my phone number for over 8 years now, and it was a good one thankfully that never had any baggage tied to it. I NEVER got spam calls. About 2 years ago they started, and that was when I used to give my number to stores and other bullshit like that. After using the silence method for several months, I have gotten fantastic results.
    I’ve gotten a single spam call last month, and 2 the month before.
    Also I automatically decline or block any number that is similar to my own. That’s a different trick they use to make you think “that number is familiar to me, better answer it”
    Yeah it’s familiar because it’s your own number but mixed up! If your number is 321-4123 you’ll get a call from 432-3125 or some crap.

It was awful at my old job, we were required to answer all calls and greet them. The amount of spam calls we got was horrendous. If it’s a business then you’re gonna have a rough time. Maybe pay for truecaller or send them to voicemail and have the instructions to leave a message if you need something and you’ll immediately call them back.

#22 4 years ago

I've noticed a marked decrease in them on my home landline recently. I used to get at least two or three every day.
    I've gotten a few of the scam Social Security Administration calls recently on my cell phone though.
    They do go to voice mail and leave a recorded message.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I've gotten a few of the scam Social Security Administration calls recently on my cell phone though.
    They do go to voice mail and leave a recorded message.

Those are funny. I must be extremely lucky that I haven’t been arrested and thrown in jail since I’ve haven't responded once

#24 4 years ago

maybe someone mentioned this already, but if you dont answer the calls, eventually your number will drop off their call list. After you dont answer it, just block it anyway. If you do both of these things your number of calls will drop to near zero within a few months. Super easy to do.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from tscottn:

maybe someone mentioned this already, but if you dont answer the calls, eventually your number will drop off their call list. After you dont answer it, just block it anyway. If you do both of these things your number of calls will drop to near zero within a few months. Super easy to do.

I found that it is a waste of time to bother with blocking the numbers anymore. The perps keep calling with spoof numbers.

I also had a recent situation where my banker person called me and could not get through. That number had tried to call me earlier, I did not answer, and blocked the number after the ringing stopped. Turned out I had blocked my banker. So, I unblocked everything.

But since I quit answering or answer and give them the wall of silence the calls are getting less and less. Maybe that is due to the new law or my new way of dealing with them, but the calls seem to be going away.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-the-robocallers-will-finally-go-away- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.