Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG-20170724-WA0000 (resized).jpg
IMG_6664 (resized).JPG
IMG_6665 (resized).JPG
IMG_6663 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

This is my first time working on Fathom and I'm trying to figure out how to properly raise the playfield.
I'm rebuilding the flippers and want to orient the playfield so I have easy access to the underside.
The playfield has hooks that normally slide around a set of posts towards the rear of the cabinet.
I'm able to pull the playfield up and out to release the hooks, and then I can rest the hooks on a second set of pegs that are near the middle of the cabinet.
My hope was that this second set of posts would let me flip the playfield over and rest it on the backbox, but due to an interference with the brackets I can only flip it slightly past vertical and it doesn't feel particularly stable.
How am I supposed to do this?
I've attached some photos of the playfield resting on the posts near the middle of the cabinet and the gap between the playfield and the backbox.

IMG_6663 (resized).JPGIMG_6663 (resized).JPG

IMG_6665 (resized).JPGIMG_6665 (resized).JPG

IMG_6664 (resized).JPGIMG_6664 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

If all else fails. Lasso it to the head so it doesn't come down and hurt you.

#3 6 years ago

Yeah this game is a pain, along with Centaur and others. I use a piece of heavy string tie loops on each end and put one loop around the playfield hanger and up and over the top of the head and put a S hook on the other end of the string and hook it into the slots in the back side of the head. This way you can quickly disconnect it from the hanger and lower the playfield when you want and then reconnect it again.

John

#4 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I thought I was doing something wrong but it sounds like Bally designed it this way..

#5 6 years ago

For best underside acces you can tilt the playfield out of the hooks and swivel 180 degree and lay it upset down in the cabinet.
Maybe put a towel between the apron and lockbar receiver. This was a practice of the 80's when games were operational, not sure if it is still applicable for collector games like Fathom. Best done with two people on first try.
I have a pic of my ebd, it does not have the exact same playfield hooks but at least you see what i mean.

IMG-20170724-WA0000 (resized).jpgIMG-20170724-WA0000 (resized).jpg

Edit, i see you have the rubber grommet missing on your right side pivot. Maybe inspect if it is important for an inverted playfield to rest on before attempt.

3 weeks later
#6 6 years ago

Oh wow, I have not seen or tried this before. So you rotate it upside down by turning 180 degrees left or right and set it back down? I'll have to do a thorough survey of the playfield and make sure there isn't anything sticking up that would get knocked off but this seems like a nice approach.

I was able to find a replacement grommet for the pivot (Marco 545-5105-00) so that's fixed now.

I just played a few rounds of Eight Ball Deluxe last night, that is a very fun + addictive game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-silly-question-about-raising-playfield-on-fathom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.