(Topic ID: 66358)

Maybe out on STLE due to VUK change, What else to get???

By QuarterGrabber

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which game to buy if I drop out of my STLE order:”

• AC/DC Premium 78 votes
    40%
  • Metallica Pro 23 votes
    12%
  • WOZ 62 votes
    32%
  • There are better games then the above out there get a nice used title. 30 votes
    16%

(193 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 10 years ago

After finding out about the redesign of the VUK I'm on the fence now about my STLE order. I was stoked to drive down and pick it up on release day, now I'll wait and see what reviews roll in. If I don't like what they did with the VUK what machine should I get instead?? I want a NIB and below is what is out there that interests me:

1) AC/DC Premium
2) Metallica Pro
3) WOZ - I saw a video review on this and it looked really cool and very well built although very feminine

Please vote above or tell me why one is better then the other.

#2 10 years ago

#1 smokes the others .

#3 10 years ago

Have to agree with McCune here

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

#1 smokes the others .

end of POLL...

#5 10 years ago

Wow non for Metallica so far. Didn't see that coming.

#6 10 years ago

Add an entry for keep the LE.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

Add an entry for keep the LE.

It won't let me change the poll?

#8 10 years ago

No question!! Everyone knows its ACDC. That is todays MM. Its a must have!

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I played the pro and wasn't into it that's why I put the premium down. I'm hoping the lower playfield really adds to the experience.

#10 10 years ago

I just saw this thread. As someone who has paid for his STLE, what exactly got changed?

And, as far as this poll....

I own a WOZECLE but just got back from a dude's house where I got to play an AC/DC premium for my first time. Now THAT is a lot of fun. I would say grab the AC/DC and hold off on the WOZ until the code is more complete. WOZ is fun as it is and I think it will have some very promising long-term appeal but as far as FUN goes, AC/DC has it beat for sure.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I played the pro and wasn't into it that's why I put the premium down. I'm hoping the lower playfield really adds to the experience.

Uh oh..

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Meh. ACDC is great and all, but it's no MM (for it's age). That honor may belong to WOZ too soon to say, but it's not ACDC from my view. It's well executed, but not to the level of something like MM where the theme, humor, toys were so far off the hook that it became legendary. ACDC as a music pin can never quite reach that height (especially with mono sound).

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I just saw this thread. As someone who has paid for his STLE, what exactly got changed?

They changed the VUK. It was suppose to shoot the ball into the warp ramp then you could loop it again and again, it would have been a really cool combo. Now it just kicks it up to the left wireform and then down to the left flipper, just like LOTR or BDK.

Although I have already paid for my STLE I'm sure I can make an argument to my distributor that when I paid for it the VUK was different, now that it has changed it is not the game I paid for. And also if I buy another NIB from them in place of it I don't think they will care.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Meh. ACDC is great and all, but it's no MM (for it's age). That honor may belong to WOZ too soon to say, but it's not ACDC from my view. It's well executed, but not to the level of something like MM where the theme, humor, toys were so far off the hook that it became legendary. ACDC as a music pin can never quite reach that height (especially with mono sound).

Your opinion, but its the minority. For most of us its without a doubt the game you play the most and just love. 80/20 rule. Your the 20 and entitled to that opinion but pretending that the 80% clearly feel that way would be silly.
And WOZ..not even out of the gate to make that statement.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Your opinion, but its the minority. For most of us its without a doubt the game you play the most and just love. 80/20 rule. Your the 20 and entitled to that opinion but pretending that the 80% clearly feel that way would be silly.
And WOZ..not even out of the gate to make that statement.

I've already seen local interest waning a bit. It's still too fresh to put in that rare pantheon with MM. I don't think it will stand the test of time (at the level of current enthusiasm), that's my main point. Time will tell.

#16 10 years ago

As owner of all these games, I sold my acdc premium. It's really not that great of a game. Too much cheap crap happens and not enough interesting shots. Ramps flow fantastic and so do orbits, but the new Star Trek has the exact same ramp and orbit feel but with a third flipper. Metallica is a lot more fun than acdc and the pro is a real winner in that one. Woz is just not a fast flowing game. It's a different experience and until more software is written for it, its not being played here.

#17 10 years ago

As of right now - AC/DC all day long....however, Metallica update should be coming soon so - you never know! I really love both games, though.

#18 10 years ago

Rarehero, thumbs down on markmon's post just because he didn't love all over ACDC???? Talk about your Pinside group think behavior modification, geesh.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Metallica is a lot more fun than acdc

With the current code on Metallica ? Not even close, even with code, it will be a huge challenge to beat AC/DC

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Rarehero, thumbs down on markmon's post just because he didn't love all over ACDC???? Talk about your Pinside group think behavior modification, geesh.

Well markmon and Rarehero are both well know and respected collectors so I really value both their opinions and input. The only problem is that their opinions are exact opposites.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Too much cheap crap happens and not enough interesting shots.

This I will agree with on Ac/dc, but it is fun as hell and the music rocks despite the wtf moments! .....

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

As owner of all these games, I sold my acdc premium. It's really not that great of a game. Too much cheap crap happens and not enough interesting shots. Ramps flow fantastic and so do orbits, but the new Star Trek has the exact same ramp and orbit feel but with a third flipper. Metallica is a lot more fun than acdc and the pro is a real winner in that one. Woz is just not a fast flowing game. It's a different experience and until more software is written for it, its not being played here.

You're dead to me.
(But I still want those LED kits that I ordered from PinballBulbs!)

#23 10 years ago

Personally AcDc and Metallica are must haves anyway. ST is not in the same league. I would get both my only concern is you played the pro and it was not great for you. Have you played Met?

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You're dead to me.
(But I still want those LED kits that I ordered from PinballBulbs!)

#25 10 years ago

As for which one right now, as in today, its a no brainer, you get the Ac/dc with developed code......who knows when Met will be done and ST is way down the road and Woz has a ways to go as well......

Plus, there are a ton of Ac/dc premiums for sale and popping up all the time, due its popularity they sold thousands and keep cranking them out....

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Personally AcDc and Metallica are must haves anyway. ST is not in the same league. I would get both my only concern is you played the pro and it was not great for you. Have you played Met?

Yes I played both only once and both were routed pins that made their way back to the distributors showroom floor. So since I only played each one once I really haven't given them a fair chance. AC/DC pro felt really cheap to me and I hated the guys huge face on the playfield. Metallica felt like it was built way better with metal ramps and such but I didn't fall in love with either the way I did when I played Tron for the first time.

#27 10 years ago

It must just be me that thinks canceling a game order because of one feature is lame. It's not like they changed the play field to a totally different play field or something.

And yes I am awaiting my stle

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

With the current code on Metallica ? Not even close, even with code, it will be a huge challenge to beat AC/DC

The code on acdc is outstanding. But the layout is horrible. Lyman really carried that game. And as a huge Steve Ritchie fan, that says a lot coming from me. The layout is polished. I'm convinced its exact what Steve wanted from it. But its just not that exciting. I hate center targets as the center "toy".

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from magnoliarichj:

It must just be me that thinks canceling a game order because of one feature is lame. It's not like they changed the play field to a totally different play field or something.
And yes I am awaiting my stle

I can understand this though. I had the pro and ordered the LE for this feature. The fact that its now a VuK is a bummer for me and I may have kept my pro otherwise. The fact that it nicely fed the upper flipper was a big deal.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I can understand this though. I had the pro and ordered the LE for this feature. The fact that its now a VuK is a bummer for me and I may have kept my pro otherwise. The fact that it nicely fed the upper flipper was a big deal.

Exactly that was the main feature I was buying it for, it would have been such a cool combo. Take that away and what do you have, a kick back? The rest will come out as mods for the pro's. They already made the asteroid mod for the pro and the starfield projector won't be that hard to do as a mod. I mean man look at what Eli did for Tron, he made the ramp lights better then the LE's.

#31 10 years ago

Get your Next Gen. back .

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from trilogybeer:

Get your Next Gen. back .

I think I might try.

#33 10 years ago

Ramp lights from Eli are cool, but don't be dissin' the Tron LE man!

Seriously though, STLE looks alright, but man, not 8 grand alright. WOZ is a great choice I think.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Ramp lights from Eli are cool, but don't be dissin' the TRON LE man!
Seriously though, STLE looks alright, but man, not 8 grand alright. WOZ is a great choice I think.

I know WOZ looks so cool in the videos and the build quality far surpasses anything Stern has put out to date IMO. But it is so feminine. I would rather say hey do you guys want to come play AC/DC or Metallica, instead of saying, hey guys do you want to come over and play wizard of Oz. They would think I was some kind of cos play freak.

#35 10 years ago

Got both AC/DC Premium and Met Pro. Really think you have your choices right. AC/DC Pro is not in the same league and it's not about the lower playfield. Code is fully mature and might even get the final icing on the cake. This is a fact, the machine is there and it's my best pin ever. Since I bought Metallica Pro Refinery edition I cannot stop playing it. A fan layout that works and tons of things to do. Code is not finish yet, one or two updates left but still they are both winners in my book and aint going anywhere anytime soon. Never though of owning a Pro one day. I'm not being arrogant or snob but difference was huge, now with Metallica and Tron I do understand that sometimes Pro is the way to go.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Got both AC/DC Premium and Met Pro. Really think you have your choices right. AC/DC Pro is not in the same league and it's not about the lower playfield. Code is fully mature and might even get the final icing on the cake. This is a fact, the machine is there and it's my best pin ever. Since I bought Metallica Pro Refinery edition I cannot stop playing it. A fan layout that works and tons of things to do. Code is not finish yet, one or two updates left but still they are both winners in my book and aint going anywhere anytime soon. Never though of owning a Pro one day. I'm not being arrogant or snob but difference was huge, now with Metallica and Tron I do understand that sometimes Pro is the way to go.

Don't forget about Xmen. The pro is WAY better then the LE on that one.

#37 10 years ago

I know WOZ looks so cool in the videos and the build quality far surpasses anything Stern has put out to date IMO. But it is so feminine. I would rather say hey do you guys want to come play AC/DC or Metallica, instead of saying, hey guys do you want to come over and play wizard of Oz. They would think I was some kind of cos play freak.

My opinion exactly. Angry birds or Muppets or even little pony could be the best pin ever but dude the theme is important to me. AC/DC and Metallica makes me a cool dude

#38 10 years ago

Don't forget about Xmen. The pro is WAY better then the LE on that one.

Ah man we did not talk much but we should more. We think the same way. Right on with the X-Men too, faster game.

#39 10 years ago

Easy choice out of pins listed for me would be MET Pro.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Ah man we did not talk much but we should more. We think the same way. Right on with the X-Men too, faster game.

You can hit me up any time brother.

#41 10 years ago

Sorry for the ignorance. What is a VUK?
What is so good about it. I have heard of VUK on another Machine too.
Thanks

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from LitzDoc:

Sorry for the ignorance. What is a VUK?
What is so good about it. I have heard of VUK on another Machine too.
Thanks

Vertical Up Kicker. It kicks the ball up instead of out I guess.

#43 10 years ago

Quoted from Darth_Chris:

My opinion exactly. Angry birds or Muppets or even little pony could be the best pin ever but dude the theme is important to me. AC/DC and Metallica makes me a cool dude

Being confident in your masculinity makes you a cool dude, regardless of your tastes in pinball or anything else for that matter...

#44 10 years ago

And before you rake me over the coals for my last post, you should know I've seen every AC/DC tour since 1982, and I also was proud to see the 3D Imax Wizard of Oz a few weeks back as well. Neither made me more or less of a man.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I hate center targets as the center "toy".

Like Snake and Coffin hammer ?

#46 10 years ago

Good for you. Regardless there is some fun in typical guy stuff.
Many of us go to my friends house with a bar and sports theme while a few of us hang at the friends house who collects board game figures. He is a good guy but sorry guys like typical cool guy stuff.
Secure men could go see a show in broadway or a bunch of guys can hit Scores.Just the way it is. Secure or not does not equal a great guys night out.

#47 10 years ago

Where did Stern officially announce the VUK was gone or otherwise redesigned?

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Being confident in your masculinity makes you a cool dude, regardless of your tastes in pinball or anything else for that matter...

Quoted from beelzeboob:

And before you rake me over the coals for my last post, you should know I've seen every AC/DC tour since 1982, and I also was proud to see the 3D Imax Wizard of Oz a few weeks back as well. Neither made me more or less of a man.

Hey don't worry man it's all good at my age and with my past i'm very confortable with my masculine side. Maybe too much hehehe. We are just joking around but I like teasing a bit about themes.

#49 10 years ago

hey guys do you want to come over and play wizard of Oz.

Or, hey guys , what to play my Dirty Harry ?

#50 10 years ago

I'm a *huge* WMS snob but, AC/DC Premium runs circles around Metallica, Star Trek and virtually anything else currently out there right now.

Best game in *years* from Stern!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Machine - For Sale
Boulder, CO
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

There are 217 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-out-on-stle-what-else-to-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.