(Topic ID: 74701)

Maybe NAVL used to be good... be warned.

By adalogue

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-144.jpg
    image-415.jpg
    image-662.jpg
    image.jpg
    salt-ad.jpg
    8-13 024.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 10 years ago

You had to wait a few extra days for your toys. What were your other options? They are they ONLY shipper that both pays real insurance and doesn't require a pallet. Without NAVL, there are a bunch of us that wouldn't be able to buy or sell long distance without them. You'll have plenty of time to play your game, delays are frustrating, but keep it in perspective.

Quoted from adalogue:

$460 from WA to MO and six days late?

It is actually. I deal with people on a daily basis that make we wonder how they figure out how to tie their shoes let alone properly pack my multiple thousand dollar game that's going to get paid out at pennies on the pound if destroyed.

Quoted from Rush1169:

Properly packaging a game for shipment via an LTL carrier isn't very difficult.

#16 10 years ago

Sometimes NAVL flat out drops the ball and it sucks. But, in my experience, the grass isn't always greener. Delays can happen, and with NAVL probably happen more frequently. Damage can happen, with NAVL it happens about the same, maybe a little less.

It's how NAVL handles the claims. I've heard tons of people bitch about delays and a few about damage, but when it comes time to pay, very few complaints.

For me, and maybe someone else is different, I've sent and recieved 20+ games and never had a scratch, and the real insurance I've been luckily enough to only heard about makes me feel pretty good.

I can list a ton of complaints, like the time the shipper was sending a game to me and someone else, and they local guys swapped the tags. Or the time when they said it was a weekly pickup zone and it took them a month to pick up.

I care about that stuff that day, but having a game wrecked and not being compensated fairly would sting 100 times harder and 100 times longer.

Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

My NAVL shipment of a single pin from Florida to Missouri was 24 days past the estimated delivery.

LOL. I'll let you guys test out the "new shippers." Nobody is doubting that you can ship quicker and cheaper. It'll be interesting to see how the situation is handled when someone drives a forklift through the game. You might seriously regret trying to save a few bucks and few days. Maybe not, but I'll stick with Michelle for now.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

Well you guys can try
    Matthew Torgersen
    Office: (877) 331-5123 (x112)
    Fax: (801) 936-0962
    Email: [email protected]

He delivered my pin 500 miles with no issue and beat Michelle by $80 bucks.

#20 10 years ago

Let's take a step back. When you ship a pinball you have at least seven parties involved. You have Michelle / Judy, you have the local guys doing the pickup, you have the local dock, you have the truck driver, you have the remote dock (usually multiple docks and trucks along the way), then you have the destination dock, and then the local guys delivering the game.

Michelle is an agent for STI, then you have STI, then the local pickup, then local delivery.... You have so many hands in the pot, if one of them goes bad you get a bad taste in your mouth.

The local guys in Denver are better than great, I'd say fantastic/phenomenal. However, in your city, you might have a bad "NAVL" experience because a local guy screwed you.

I guess my point is, let's not be so quick to blame Michelle, someone who is probably bending over backwards and doing everything she can for you, when at the end of the day, the problem is out of her control / authority.

Quoted from burningman:

that I was the first delivery the next day, (8am) and they showed up at 12:45 in the afternoon on a work day. And that was the second time they were supposed to deliver.

I hope you find another shipper, competition is great and NAVL is expensive. Please be sure and let us know how it goes. But honestly, until you ship 100 games, and only 10-15 get dinged or damaged, and then they pay fairly every time, it's not worth saving $80 and a few days for me. Too much risk, I'd have one less pinball in my collection if a game I was responsible for got trashed and the shipper didn't pay.

#27 10 years ago

Lots of mis-information about how NAVL works. Michelle supervises nobody. STI has always taken financial responsibility when a game is damaged. Just so I understand, how much "financial responsibility" do you think they should take because your toy is a few days late?

Quoted from Frax:

Man, how do I get into this racket. Sounds like my dream job. I want to run this business where I supervise a bunch of people, but have no direct financial responsibility to make sure they do their job with any modicum of care. All I want to do is collect the money, shift the blame, and MAKE IT RAIN.

I don't ship much, I've only shipped / received about 20, never had a problem. I'm not sure what the actual number is, but a scuff on one game out of 10 seems realistic to me. What's realistic to you? Never? 1 in 100? Maybe I set the bar too low, maybe you too high, I don't know. I do think I've been a bit lucky I've never had an issue though.

Quoted from LesManley:

10-15 out of 100?!? So you are saying that 10-15% of your shipments have been damaged and you are happy with that? Wow. Those are some low expectations. If I dealt with any company and they screwed up 10-15% of the time, someone else would have had my business a long time ago.

#31 10 years ago

Call STI corporate 1-800-443-0940.

The largest window should have been 4 hours. Some local guys are great, some are horrible. If your local guys are constantly horrible, let them know. Give them a chance to fix the issue. Talk to the dock manager, talk to STI corprate and then see what happens. Again, maybe nothing, STI is far from perfect. Have you done everything you can do as a consumer as well? Maybe you have, I dunno, just asking.

Quoted from burningman:

TAF was to arrive on a Friday, but they could not give me a time. Wife took a day off, and they didn't show.
    TAF was to arrive on the following Friday first delivery, shows up at 12:45, I ended up having to take a day off.

#37 10 years ago

Maybe you know what you're doing, but there are two sides to every story. While STI will take your game, when you are shipping a game with a glass you need to be especially careful with the pack job.

Quoted from wayout440:

+1000.

I shipped a game one time in my life, with STI, and it arrived with a shattered backglass. Losing an easily replaceable glass on a common game is one thing, but on a rare game that is a good portion of the value right there, almost priceless. I will never ship a game again.

#51 10 years ago

So, what was wrong with it? Supposedly they bent your legs, and it never played right again? Do you play the legs?

Quoted from wishiwas:

The machine never played right again.

#58 10 years ago

Is this the same tech that couldn't fix your game so you had to sell it? I'm just trying to understand. I moved my DW 12 feet a couple weeks ago. When I went to boot it back up, I needed to replace a resistor on the CPU board to get the high powered solenoids working again.

Quoted from wishiwas:

My machine had a bunch of soldier joints get disconnected according to the tech.

Quoted from wishiwas:

I also want to mention, I had to sell that pin as having issues.

From what you've said so far, the game arrived non working with a $60 pair of legs being bent that they paid for. I'm not sure what game it is, but NIB or or System 11's, when you move pinball machines, they might not work when you turn them back on.

It doesn't seem like you got screwed in any way. Besides, you said you bought the pin from Ebay, it wouldn't be the first time someone bought a working pin from Ebay and it didn't show up exactly how the seller promised.

It absolutely could have been NAVLs fault. Or it could have been an Ebay seller who fudged the condition. Or, it could have been the normal wear and tear of moving the game that did it. I'm not sure why you are so quick to blame NAVL especially when they paid for the legs and an hour of tech time. IMO, that was very generous of them. I've had friends buy from Ebay and the games had parts switched out on them more than once.

#69 10 years ago

Ha! The seller doesn't fold the head down and it's STIs fault.

That's why you take everything on here with a grain of salt.

#74 10 years ago

You should take every word on the internet, this board especially with a grain of salt.

Quoted from Mantra:

Well I won't take all the complaints about STI as a grain of salt.

#91 10 years ago

Small business owners?

Quoted from markmon:

What sort of high salary jobs don't offer any paid time off or pay by the hour??

#98 10 years ago

I was referring to the owners themselves. Potentially high salary people with no vacation time. The owner never gets a break.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-navl-used-to-be-good-be-warned?tu=jalpert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.