• Something Else 23 votes
    30%

(77 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

442424FE-0AC3-4D38-A9EF-654B3612BADE (resized).jpeg
91272B28-2549-4D60-A8F1-51151B1B77BE (resized).jpeg
20201023_172036 (resized).jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I'm getting the itch for another machine and interested in a DILE. I love my current lineup but since downsizing from eight, I feel the need for another to keep my interest. Even more now that winter is here and most of my time will be in the basement. JJPs and me haven't clicked, I've owned a WOZ and Wonka. While WOZ is a beautiful game, the code felt extremely repetitive and Wonka felt like a jumbled mess. The weak flippers, code, terrible reliability of WOZ and long ball times were a part of the eventual sale of the machines. My lineup is mostly quick ball time, brutal and faster games. I've only played DI twice in the past, about 2 years ago. Certainly not enough to understand the rules at all and get a good feel. How would it stand with other faster type games? Would there be a better newer game option?

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I'm getting the itch for another machine and interested in a DILE. I love my current lineup but since downsizing from eight, I feel the need for another to keep my interest. Even more now that winter is here and most of my time will be in the basement. JJPs and me haven't clicked, I've owned a WOZ and Wonka. While WOZ is a beautiful game, the code felt extremely repetitive and Wonka felt like a jumbled mess. The weak flippers, code, terrible reliability of WOZ and long ball times were a part of the eventual sale of the machines. My lineup is mostly quick ball time, brutal and faster games. I've only played DI twice in the past, about 2 years ago. Certainly not enough to understand the rules at all and get a good feel. How would it stand with other faster type games? Would there be a better newer game option?

You mentioned weak flippers and you're going to get more of the same with Dialed In. It's the #1 reason I sold mine. Dialed In is also not a fast game, but it does have decent flow with the ramps. I would certainly go LE to get the extra ramp lighting on this game. I liked it when I had it, but the saggy flippers annoyed me too much.

Rob

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

You mentioned weak flippers and you're going to get more of the same with Dialed In. It's the #1 reason I sold mine. Dialed In is also not a fast game, but it does have decent flow with the ramps. I would certainly go LE to get the extra ramp lighting on this game. I liked it when I had it, but the saggy flippers annoyed me too much.
Rob

Isn’t flipper coil strength an adjustable option?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Isn’t flipper coil strength an adjustable option?

It is, but they just weren't snappy, at least with WOZ and Wonka

#5 3 years ago

I hear you on the flippers man, I wish all manufacturers had Stern flippers

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I hear you on the flippers man, I wish all manufacturers had Stern flippers

Lol, it's like a drug

#7 3 years ago

Off topic, but curious why you got rid of JP?

#8 3 years ago

If you are going to get a DI may I suggest one with radcals.. love radcals.

#10 3 years ago

Are you wanting to stick with fast and brutal games? If so Hot Wheels might be an option that could save you some $ over DI

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from majicman110:

Are you wanting to stick with fast and brutal games? If so Hot Wheels might be an option that could save you some $ over DI

In no universe would I take a hot wheels over dialed in.

The flippers of jjp feel weird compared to stern. I do love how fsst and snappy they feel. I have to turn the power DOWN on dialed in, so it's not that they're not strong. They just feel.... weird. I love stern flipper snappiness, yet they still feel cheap at the same time. All manufacturers have their own feel that you get used to.

#12 3 years ago

Dialed In! Is great!!

Very fun and funny modes.

#13 3 years ago

Definitely Dialed In!Omg cell phone mom jeans and giant woman is what you heard from people who don’t own it.But almost 100% of people that do own it love it!I traded my bar life Addams Family and some cash for a lightly used one and I’ve never regretted it

#14 3 years ago

Must be contagious, as I’ve been mulling over getting a DI LE too. Fell in love with it instantly when I first played it.

#15 3 years ago

I'm on the same boat... sold my JP pro and debating between a DI and a Stranger Things premium.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

I'm on the same boat... sold my JP pro and debating between a DI and a Stranger Things premium.

What a weird coincidence, because for lunch I was debating between pizza or wet cat food!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

What a weird coincidence, because for lunch I was debating between pizza or wet cat food!

haha rough... have you played STH? Seems like an underrated game and the cleland soundtrack is probably the best ive ever heard in pinball.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Off topic, but curious why you got rid of JP?

The code got stale for me. The paddock progression was repetitive and felt like work. None of the shots felt satisfying either, probably because the shots had to be done again for the next paddock.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

The code got stale for me. The paddock progression was repetitive and felt like work. None of the shots felt satisfying either, probably because the shots had to be done again for the next paddock.

I thought the shots were all very very satisfying, my issue is that I just am not good enough to get deep into the game with any consistency. I basically just kept seeing 4 paddocks and over and over again.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

You'll bore of DI quickly. And the flippers feel like they do on all JJP games (some love them, most don't).

#21 3 years ago

I'd pass on Dialed In after seeing what type of game you like. Dialed In usually has long ball times especially if your a good player. Code will become repetitive and it has the usual weak JJP flippers.

#22 3 years ago

If your trying to loose weight di is a good choice because it shows you the obvious double triple chin and doesn’t lie . It’s a good Motivator

#23 3 years ago

Love Dialed In. Given a choice of any game in the last two decades it would be in the top three.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Love Dialed In. Given a choice of any game in the last two decades it would be in the top three.

Yes

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

It's JJP's best by far. All of JJP's games look gorgeous, but DI is the first JJP game I really enjoy playing. I'm a pretty good player and don't find it to be an easy game (as mentioned by others). Guess it depends on how you have it set up. I've never spelled Dialed In entirely...think the best I've done is "Dialed". SIM card shot is tough.

Really wanted to love the new GNR, but the PF/shot layout doesn't do anything for me. Might still get one down the road, but need to play it first.

#26 3 years ago

Dialed in is really fun, it truly feels like a classic B/W from the 90s with all the tech of today.

The modes are all different and require you to hit every shot on the game in some way or another, I doubt most players will be seeing the final mode of the game ever to be honest.

As for the weak flippers, I ended up getting them perfect by adjusting the flipper switch leafs, upping the power in the menu, and replacing the coil stops and sleeves.

Cheap and 30 min of work. I really do believe this game will be more desired as people get a chance on it, and it will go down as one of the best games in pinball.

#27 3 years ago

Only thing I don’t like is the crazy Bob modes. I wish there was more variety to them.

#28 3 years ago

DI is one of those games that got a lot of heat when it came out, and never quite fully recovered, but most of the complaining was due to the "cell phone and mom jeans". Who cares. The code is great, the shots are VERY smooth (except the SIM card shot, which is supposed to be challenging), and it's got some really innovative ideas, especially as you progress later in the game.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Thanks! Good to get this sort of feedback. Sorry for crashing the DI band wagon. We went to buy it twice. Both times played only 10 games but it just did not grab anyone in the family. I’m sure it’s an excellent game just did not give us any initial excitement. 2 Different mates got rid of it within weeks. Certainly seems to polarise people the old DI.

#30 3 years ago

DI is a great pin, Lawlors finest!
Family and friends here love it but hey it’s only pinball.

#31 3 years ago

My issue with Dialed in isn't the mom jeans or the cheesy modes. It is the bland callouts and the lack of energy overall. I can't put my finger on EXACTLY what it is, but it just doesn't get me excited like a great pinball machine should. Even when I am blowing up the game.

It is an old guys interpretation of what the world has turned into and the whole package is just odd.

#32 3 years ago

Its a fun game, I would personally avoid the LE as I think it's a waste of monies.

And yes the Sim card shot is a drag

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Thanks! Good to get this sort of feedback. Sorry for crashing the DI band wagon. We went to buy it twice. Both times played only 10 games but it just did not grab anyone in the family. I’m sure it’s an excellent game just did not give us any initial excitement. 2 Different mates got rid of it within weeks. Certainly seems to polarise people the old DI.

It took me a year playing it on location to get into Dialed In. Truth is if it wasn't the return of Lawlor's designs in a JJP pinball I would have given up already, but I was compelled to keep going thinking Lawlor can't get it wrong.

I had one long play, and that's where it all came up together, how everything is designed for the shots to flow, how the modes are very satisfying for how they make the ball flow, it's all flow, flow and flow. Before getting there, playing DI felt bland and pointless.

So I bought a DI, I'm getting it in 2 weeks, I think it's the one shooter that has a real depth to it with a rich ruleset for a single playfield game with 3 flippers.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

It took me a year playing it on location to get into Dialed In. Truth is if it wasn't the return of Lawlor's designs in a JJP pinball I would have given up already, but I was compelled to keep going thinking Lawlor can't get it wrong.
I had one long play, and that's where it all came up together, how everything is designed for the shots to flow, how the modes are very satisfying for how they make the ball flow, it's all flow, flow and flow. Before getting there, playing DI felt bland and pointless.
So I bought a DI, I'm getting it in 2 weeks, I think it's the one shooter that has a real depth to it with a rich ruleset for a single playfield game with 3 flippers.

Thanks. Maybe I need to give it another go!! I think it was the call outs and the stupid photos that turned us off. It felt like having a pin designed by Siri.....

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

It is, but they just weren't snappy, at least with WOZ and Wonka

Once I moved my wonka flippers up to 20 they feel pretty close to stern. Im happy with them.

Dialed In is great! Add it!

#36 3 years ago

I hear a lot of complaints about the flippers but I never noticed a problem. I bumped them up one point each and then I noticed how better it was.

DI is Lawlors best game, no question. It’s the second coming of WMS.

#37 3 years ago

And Yes^^^^^^^^^^

#38 3 years ago

DI is challenging. I bought it and donated it to my local co-op new out of box. Only the good players were able to do anything decent on that game. You can't flail around and hit just anything like on some pins. There's nothing like starting a mode, hitting the big bang, and then having the ball fall into the sim card slot!

People are saying weak flippers and I get that, but they should be saying weak-ER, not weak. Just not snappy like Stern. Crank up the power on the flippers and you can easily hit every shot you need to. I think they work great.

I also didn't get the LE. Ramp lights & powder coating = $500-$1000 more. If you think that's worth it, go for it. I saved the money and bought pinstadium instead.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Its a fun game, I would personally avoid the LE as I think it's a waste of monies.
And yes the Sim card shot is a drag

You mean CE? LE has better lights, better looking quantum theatre, shaker, invisaglass, and powder coat!

Back to the "weak" flippers comment. They are NOT weak. I have to dial back the strength of my flippers or they do some crazy stuff in the machine. Far too strong. They feel odd compared to stern, but they certainly arent weak.

#40 3 years ago

LE has invisible glass too. But I didn’t pay the full rate something like $7900 iirc for a few month old HUO. I’m glad many people didn’t love it.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

DI is challenging. I bought it and donated it to my local co-op new out of box. Only the good players were able to do anything decent on that game. You can't flail around and hit just anything like on some pins. There's nothing like starting a mode, hitting the big bang, and then having the ball fall into the sim card slot!
People are saying weak flippers and I get that, but they should be saying weak-ER, not weak. Just not snappy like Stern. Crank up the power on the flippers and you can easily hit every shot you need to. I think they work great.
I also didn't get the LE. Ramp lights & powder coating = $500-$1000 more. If you think that's worth it, go for it. I saved the money and bought pinstadium instead.

The Le has Invisaglass,Powdercoat,Shaker motor,External volume control,Custom backboard lexan scenario and very cool ramp lighting.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

You mean CE? LE has better lights, better looking quantum theatre, shaker, invisaglass, and powder coat!

All versions have a shaker.

Correct, all those things I think are a waste of monies, but everyone's limit is diff'rent.
True all versions have taken a massive hit in the aftermarket so it's more doable getting them used.

#43 3 years ago

I love my DI, owned it for just under 2 years and never plan on selling.

It's one of my most played games, I just love the modes, however I'm biased to JJP pins, so take my comments as a grain of salt I have Woz owned about 5 years and just got Wonka and like that as well .

Good luck.

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

The Le has Invisaglass,Powdercoat,Shaker motor,External volume control,Custom backboard lexan scenario and very cool ramp lighting.

Standard has a shaker. It also has a flash for the camera. I forgot about the invisiglass!

Still, if those things aren't a deal breaker to a buyer, they can save $500-$1000 and still get the same game.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

LE ramp lighting > pinstadium

Rob

#46 3 years ago

Thanks to Kingpin games for hooking me up.

20201023_172036 (resized).jpg20201023_172036 (resized).jpg
#47 3 years ago

Nice!! Always fun when they get a hi score. Hope they love it!

#48 3 years ago

I got one too...

91272B28-2549-4D60-A8F1-51151B1B77BE (resized).jpeg91272B28-2549-4D60-A8F1-51151B1B77BE (resized).jpeg
#49 3 years ago

Ok you two, we're counting on you to keep the mom jeans, cell phone, weak flipper comments coming!

Seriously though, report back in 2 weeks with an honest review please.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Nice!! Always fun when they get a hi score.

My daughter is only 4 so no high scores, but she calls it "her game " and asks me not to play it when she's not there. She loves the "Mojis" and cartoons, and I love the gameplay & Rules; so it works out nice.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 22.50
Flipper Parts
FlipMods

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Martinez, GA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Led
Lermods

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maybe-a-dialed-in?hl=pokerjake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.