(Topic ID: 128921)

May buy a busted Early-SS game for 250...

By Burdy323

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by thedefog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979
#1 8 years ago

So,

I found an early Stern Meteor Pinball Machine on craigslist and have sent an email to the owner (no reply yet).. Basically everything is in fine condition, but when you start the game, it lights up but does not launch and the displays show nothing. The owner said that the game worked fine when he put it in storage three years ago but now it is bust.

So, this will be my second pin if this ends up going through. Is the deal worth it? What damage to look for? I have no idea what I am doing so hopefully it will be an easy fix.

#2 8 years ago

Probably a locked MPU. If you look at it, take off the back glass and open the light panel. There is an LED on the MPU (top left board). It should flash 7 times and then glow, if it lights solid when booted, it's locked. Likely from corrosion, but could be a couple other issues (dead transistors, etc.). Not a huge deal unless the board is really eaten, but if you aren't familiar with board work you will likely need to send out or buy a new board depending on the exact issue. If the board is clean and its locking, it usually isn't a big deal at all. Mild to moderate corrosion isn't huge either, only if it's badly corroded will it be in new board territory.

#3 8 years ago

I saw the same ad and was tempted, but I've already got enough projects on my hands. I've gotten games for similar prices in similar condition. For $250, I'm not too picky. It's rare to find something cheaper than that. Basically, if the cosmetics look decent, pretty much everything else can be repaired/replaced/substituted without too much trouble (with the exception of unobtainable parts, plastics, and backglass).

It could be anything. Fuses, loose wires, tarnishing, corrosion, damage from being moved, static electricity killing a chip, cold solder joints, battery damage, problems on the rectifier board, etc.

You're probably not going to be able to diagnose it in just a few minutes or through an email exchange with a seller who just wants to sell. If the problem was immediately obvious upon a visual inspection, the seller probably would've addressed it to get a higher asking price.

#4 8 years ago

If the Meteor is not blown out and complete at $250, buy it.

Likely problems besides cosmetic stuff would be battery damaged MPU, hacked up transformer/rectifier assembly, rusted out / water damage.

Meteor is a really fun classic stern game too.

#5 8 years ago

Like previous posters have said, if its cosmetically good buy it and go. Even if you had to replace the entire boardset with new (which you won't) you will still be fine if you want to sell down the road.

#6 8 years ago

Saw the ad. I'll race you.

#7 8 years ago

Meteor - great game,

250 if complete and in decent condition is a good price - even with MPU issues.

#8 8 years ago

Careful about the "worked before it went into storage" line. That is a classic cover your ass story because you know it doesn't work, and don't wanna be responsible for it. Regardless, I'd bite at $250. If you know how to repair boards, and the game is complete, it won't cost much to get going again unless it is an alkaline damage job.

It is an easy and inexpensive game to repair regardless, even if the MPU is rough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 44.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 199.95
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Slipstream Mod Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/may-buy-a-busted-early-ss-game-for-250 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.