Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

782D7B45-8F51-44C1-9036-C94C92C09293 (resized).jpeg
C6761EF4-9AE1-4A3A-817C-54669B48283F (resized).jpeg
A24D3810-90A0-4227-90EE-D72A53E66125 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hello all,

I just brought home a beautiful Maverick, but it was DOA. So I did a little digging, and found it had a blown F1 7a fuse and a burnt pin 1 on CN8. I also noticed that the MPU looked like the resistors had been burned up. So I replaced the fuse, cleaned up the connector, while I wait for a replacement part... and tested all the resistors. They all check out at 26-27 ohms. So, after replacing the fuse and cleaning the connector it powers up and plays.

However.... it was acting like a ball had drained, while it was still in play. I have narrowed it down to the 5 bank drop targets. If target 1 is activated, it also triggers the other four. Also, it doesn’t allow the other four switches to register on their own, when it is active.

The other four, only activate themselves. However, hitting one of them while the game it in play, triggers a ball drain. Even though none of them trigger a trough switch.

*Correction* It seems as if targets 5 and 3 in that same bank are triggering two unused switches. 9 and 10.

The diode on each switch tests fine, so I’m not really sure what I’m looking at here. Any thoughts?
782D7B45-8F51-44C1-9036-C94C92C09293 (resized).jpeg782D7B45-8F51-44C1-9036-C94C92C09293 (resized).jpegA24D3810-90A0-4227-90EE-D72A53E66125 (resized).jpegA24D3810-90A0-4227-90EE-D72A53E66125 (resized).jpegC6761EF4-9AE1-4A3A-817C-54669B48283F (resized).jpegC6761EF4-9AE1-4A3A-817C-54669B48283F (resized).jpeg

#2 4 years ago

The more I dig, the weirder this issue gets.

The problem seems to move around the switch matrix, row to row.
A little while ago, the upper 4 bank Drop Targets, Top target was triggering several switches at once.. It wasn't previously.
I took the switches out, checked them and soldered everything back in. Issue has now moved to the boat optos. The front opto is triggering the switches for the pop bumpers, right return lane.. everything on the CN8-7 row this time. And it isn't the opto itself. I can move the connectors to the other opto and the problem follows. So before it was CN8-3 being triggered, next it was CN8-4, now CN8-7. Each time all I have done is remove, check and reinstall.

I have tested numerous components on the board and everything checks out... Even those 27 ohm 3 watt resistors. It is OBVIOUS they have burned, But I get 26-27 ohms on every single one. None of this makes any sense to me at the moment.

I'm guessing at this point it is the MPU itself. But I am not sure where to check, with the issue moving around so much!

#3 4 years ago

Do a jumper test on the switch matrix of the MPU. Dont have the manual handy, but it should identify the row and column connectors on the board. Pull the two connectors, and using a small jumper wire, jumper pin 1 of the row to each pin of the column, one at a time on the board connector pins. Do this in switch edge test mode. Follow along and see if every row/column combo corresponds correctly to the matrix. Then move to pin 2 and repeat and so on, until you test all 64 combos.

If they show up correctly, then it's a wiring or diode issue in the playfield. If they dont, then board issue.

#4 4 years ago

I did that last night and the issue is definitely a board issue. The puzzling part is, the issue jumps around. I went ahead and ordered a Rottendog MPU, as I have two pins that both need the same MPU. So I can have a working one to test with.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I did that last night and the issue is definitely a board issue. The puzzling part is, the issue jumps around. I went ahead and ordered a Rottendog MPU, as I have two pins that both need the same MPU. So I can have a working one to test with.

For unusual behavior like that probably the data buffer IC took a hit. RD board is fine, but yours could be fixed relatively inexpensively, especially if you have the tools to do it yourself. If you want to sell the board as is, let me know, as I have a maverick also with an RD board, but wouldnt mind pitting an original back in.

#6 4 years ago

Will do. My plan is to fix mine though and eventually put the RD into the Batman Forever at my house, with major acid damage. And thank you! I will check out the buffer. I have been trying to make out the schematics, but the PDF on IPDB is less than great. Better than nothing though, for sure!

#7 4 years ago

Page 78 of the ipdb schematics....would be IC 8J or 8H.

#8 4 years ago

Thank you! I will check them out when I get home tonight!

#9 4 years ago

You can Pull the corresponding connector for the DT switches at the mpu and enter test to see if they’re still active. If they stop, you can rule out a short on the board, and focus on the playfield.

If it’s the lower left 5 DT bank, double check that none of the wires or switches on that bank are bent/shorting to something.. That area is tight and on the edge of the playfield. Tidy up the wiring as best as you can.

On the maverick project I’m finishing up; That bank was replaced by a previous owner. The original was most likely damaged from the playfield getting dropped inside the cabinet as both of my mdf strips on the inside of the cabinet were busted/gone. I pulled the old staples/nails so nothing was touching the underside of the playfield.

In my case, the drop target bank they replaced the original with was obviously from a different game. Double check the connector from your DT bank to the harness and make sure your wiring matches up to the rest of the main harness/schematic, reconfigure accordingly.

A couple of my switches were out of adjustment and closed as well as wired to whatever game the DT bank came out of. This caused all kinds of crazy switch problems for me.

#10 4 years ago

The RottenDog MPU was installed today. That solved MOST of the issues. But I am still having a random end of ball and a game reset. I have found the game reset, there seems to be a short on one of the riverboats Opto Sensors. If I smack it, the game reboots. So I will try to fix that tomorrow, by reflowing the solder joints.

The End of ball issue, I have not found yet. I thought it was in the upper right DTs, but none of them are firing off any other switches. I have tested every switch on the PF and they all only fire off themselves now.

#11 4 years ago

I stripped the playfield and cleaned it.. Looks new again! But, I have a lot more switch errors now. So I am suspecting I have some cracked wires somewhere. I hope to get some time this weekend to look further into the issue. I found one wire that was caught in a DT assembly and has gotten cut. I fixed it, but there seems to be more going on.

3 years later
#12 1 year ago

Mine recently started failing to launch the ball only on Skill shot 2 (start mode). Found if I bang it hard on the lock bar the ball with launch but launches in to the Lauren Belle, rolls down the wire an in play. Kills about 10 sec off the clock. All switch tests are ok.

Then this started: when new ball kicks out to shooter lane the games sounds off as though the ball launched and bypasses the skill shot thinking the ball is in play.

I have manually checked and ran the diagnostic on all switches. Can’t find anything out of sorts under the playfield.

#13 1 year ago

I'd be looking very carefully at the switches.

In particular, the shooter lane switch.

But also the ball trough switches, and the white microswitch that determines if a ball is stacked at the end of the ball trough.

Going into Lauren Belle is usually related to the Paddle Wheel/Left Orbit deflector. This seems to get a lot of vibration because I've resoldered wires to this coil a bunch of times. Of course, anything in the whole orbit that is a ball sense switch should be checked.

The most frequent problem by far with Maverick is broken targets, but after that...

Optos under the Lauren Belle. When these have the slightest problem they miscount the ball, and weird things happen. Solder joints here, but at this point I'm replacing the opto transmitter and receiver with a higher intensity LED.

For optos I've been using these:

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lite-On/LTL2F3VEKNT?qs=Sv%252BigzQKaoVYLcEZH8BKGw%3D%3D

For all my Data East / Sega / slightly older Stern pinball opto needs. They are bright. You replace both the transmitter and the receiver with the same part.

Of course, if you are sure your Lauren Belle optos are great, then there is no need to replace them.

The way you describe the problem, it sounds like the game believes that some switch (probably opto) is activated, and thus it thinks the ball is in play instead of where it is.

I'd spend some time in switch test mode and bang on the playfield a bit trying to find where the game is falsely triggering a switch.

Let us know what you find!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-switch-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.