• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Maverick (resized).jpg
Maverick_PS (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Hi all!, first of all it's a pleasure to be here and thank you for your help in advance. (BTW, I'm from Spain/Europe)

I have a great Maverick 1994 at home (I love it), but it starts getting strange resets when I press any flipper button, or firing by hand the triangle near the flippers, loosing the sound and getting turning off the display, and when I release the flipper button, the system resets displaying the System Version, etc..

I think it's a power supply problem, probably a cap, bridge or similar. I have some electronic skills, but I'm not an expert. I was also doing some maintenance in my pinball for 3 years (when I bought it for 1500€ working), in this time I was replacing some lamps, an old coil and the paddle wheel rubber. So I'm learning a lot about my pinball lately

The point is, that I was trying to figure out why if I press the flippers buttons (even just only one), or any coil fires, then the pinball resets. I have some tools as a digital multimeter, solder and some replacement components as fuses, transistors, diodes, bridges, and caps, so I've bought them to have some replacements before starts repairing it.

Could you please guide me about what to check with a logical order?. I need a method to resolve the issue, from big things to specific ones if possible.

Here is what I did so far:

0) All boards seems to be originals and with no re-work (at least in soldering terms).
1) All fuses in all cards (even in cabinet), are OK.
2) If I don't start playing, everything seems to be ok. (music, lights, paddle wheel, etc.)
3) The 3 leds in the CPU board appears normal according the manual ON (Blank), ON (+5V), OFF (PIA) (I did not check leds when problem happens yet with some flipper pressed)
4) I was testing some diodes in the PS, and them seems to be ok. Except for the DB1 bridge, I have not tested it outside the board yet, I need to unsoldering it, but initially it does not seems to be bad.
5) All boards, except CPU one that I did not unmount it yet, seems have no visual defects or burns, I mean, all seems to be fine.
6) SSFB - Solid State Flipper Board components seems to be ok, diodes, etc. (without unsoldering)
7) PPB - Playfield Power Board components seems to be ok, diodes, etc. (without unsoldering) (here there is an axial cap 100uF 160V I have no idea if it's ok or not)
8) Backbox Bridges and big 30.000 uF seems to be ok, but not sure. (without unsoldering)
9) PSB - Power Supply Board, here diodes seems to be ok (without unsoldering), but I have no idea about caps.

Probably do I have first to focus in the PSB?

Thank you for your help!
Diego

#2 3 months ago

Does the whole game reset? Or does the display just reset and the game will let you continue playing? The DMD resetting is a pretty common issue on the large DMD games.

#4 3 months ago

If every board, sound, mpu, display, reset with the flippers check the 12v bridge. It is pretty common that one side of the bridge blows open circuit, then you are running on half wave and the filter cap can't keep the V up between the cycles when you flip or whatever. It happened in my Baywatch and seems to get posted here fairly often.

Go to the power board. DMM on diode test. Check the bridges and diodes, specially the 12v ones and see if any are blown open.

Fuse clips notoriously shit on these games too. Visual inspection goes a long way. You can sometimes "fix" these sega games just by squeezing the fuse clips back together. They are so thin, not much spring to them.

Your DMM can look for voltage drop across connectors. Check volts dc at different places.

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from grantopia:

Does the whole game reset? Or does the display just reset and the game will let you continue playing? The DMD resetting is a pretty common issue on the large DMD games.

No it does not. If I release the flipper button (or buttons left/right), the display turns on again showing the System Version, etc, plus sometimes background music stop, but I can continue playing I think, rest of coils continuing working, but under this condition some strange things happens, it's a bit confusing state.
Also when you launch a new ball, after it fell in the 1, 2, or 3 hole, it is fired by some electromechanical mechanism (some coil), and on this moment again the display turns off, etc..

I think the game try to continue after the issue, it's not the same state as if I start my pinball after turn on the whole power, where I cannot move the flippers for instance.

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If every board, sound, mpu, display, reset with the flippers check the 12v bridge. It is pretty common that one side of the bridge blows open circuit, then you are running on half wave and the filter cap can't keep the V up between the cycles when you flip or whatever. It happened in my Baywatch and seems to get posted here fairly often.
Go to the power board. DMM on diode test. Check the bridges and diodes, specially the 12v ones and see if any are blown open.
Fuse clips notoriously shit on these games too. Visual inspection goes a long way. You can sometimes "fix" these sega games just by squeezing the fuse clips back together. They are so thin, not much spring to them.
Your DMM can look for voltage drop across connectors. Check volts dc at different places.

Thank you for your answer, I will verify it and come back with the results.

BTW I've tested all fuses by using my DMM too, and all of them are ok.

#7 3 months ago
Quoted from dpalmeira:

No it does not. If I release the flipper button (or buttons left/right), the display turns on again showing the System Version, etc, plus sometimes background music stop, but I can continue playing I think, rest of coils continuing working, but under this condition some strange things happens, it's a bit confusing state.
Also when you launch a new ball, after it fell in the 1, 2, or 3 hole, it is fired by some electromechanical mechanism (some coil), and on this moment again the display turns off, etc..
I think the game try to continue after the issue, it's not the same state as if I start my pinball after turn on the whole power, where I cannot move the flippers for instance.

The DMD board in those large DMD games is very sensitive to the 5v. Test your voltages at the power supply and the dmd board...I am betting your 5v is dropping and causing the DMD to constantly reset, it happened to my Baywatch once.

#8 3 months ago

Perform that service bulletin I linked to.

#9 3 months ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Perform that service bulletin I linked to.

Thank you for your advice, I will read it carefully to understand why do I need to add an extra cable instead of fix the original problem.

It's seems an official bulletin, but on the other hand, my pinball was probably working without this workaround from 1994 to 2022! so, I'm a bit confused about that. :S

I will give it a chance of course. In parallel I'll continue investigating the root cause.

Thank you

#10 3 months ago
Quoted from dpalmeira:

Thank you for your advice, I will read it carefully to understand why do I need to add an extra cable instead of fix the original problem.
It's seems an official bulletin, but on the other hand, my pinball was probably working without this workaround from 1994 to 2022! so, I'm a bit confused about that. :S
I will give it a chance of course. In parallel I'll continue investigating the root cause.
Thank you

DE power supplies are basically trash. They fail all the time, you rebuild them and they fail again, the parts just wear out over time. If the fix posted above doesn't work you could rebuild it, or just get a replacement. For about 100 bucks they are worth it to me vs the time and parts cost these days in a rebuild on a DE board.

The "original problem" is that the 5v to the dmd board is unreliable, so this fix bypasses that. It actually didn't fix the issueI had on my Baywatch, it made it happen less but didn't totally eliminate the issue. I put a new power supply in it and it was problem free since then.

Check your voltages first and go from there.

#11 3 months ago

Could fix your issue since it addresses the soft resets You were having. It is the dotmatrix that is resetting which is why your game keeps playing. I’ve had all the same goes with the large DMDs and had to do this on each one. It’s the easiest troubleshooting step anyway since it is just adding a length wire To the connectors.

Also check the Bridge rectifiers because I also had to replace one or two of those on the segas.

1 week later
#12 85 days ago

[FIXED] yeah!, after remove the Power Supply and verify main components, I've detected that the DB1 (diodes bridge) was bad. Basically the diode between (+) and (AC) was open (cut), so I replace it with a new one, and took this opportunity to replace the old 4x 4700uF x 25V too for a new a fresh ones.

Then, I mounted the PS again and everything works as expected!, no more display resets, or strange behavior when press the flippers, etc.

Thank you so much for your help and advices. Maybe this post helps to other people too.
Diego

Maverick (resized).jpgMaverick_PS (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 27.95
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
Phoenixville, PA
4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lake Park, GA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
Boards
PinSound
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!