(Topic ID: 74100)

Maverick - Paddle wheel triggers ball search.

By the4horse

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by dendenjan
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2BE030F3-B0CB-44F2-9C22-272028C78F78 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4032 (resized).JPG
20141004_192845.jpg
20140312_191651 (1).jpeg
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

It runs on ac??

#52 10 years ago

The only setting on the mulitimeter that gave a reading was the one I had it on...as I said, I think I'll leave it to a technician to fix. Thanks for all your help and suggestions though.

#53 10 years ago

let us know how you go dude, all the best and hope it sorts out soon.

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

It runs on ac??

Yes, the motor runs on AC. It's turned on by a relay.

#55 10 years ago

Thanks guys, I will let you know when it gets sorted and what the problem was.

1 week later
#56 10 years ago

Any news Dude?

#57 10 years ago

Not yet. I've ordered a set of 6 roms for CPU, display etc so we'll see how that goes...after that, I guess I'll get someone out.

6 months later
#58 9 years ago

Had the technician look at the paddle wheel issue today...he went through everything but it was all good.
He believes that the new Maverick paddle wheel motor I purchased from Marco is the wrong one??
Apparently it runs at 6rpm when he tells me it should be 11 or 12 rpm to give it the correct speed so as not to trigger the ball search.
Can anyone confirm the rpm on the side of their Mav motor?
The part number of mine is the same as the one they still sell - 041-5036-00.

#59 9 years ago

even though this is a old post, it seems like everyone here has a maverick.
I just got a beautiful nos populated mav playfield. looks like plig and play, except one plastic is missing I believe. I haven't thought hard about what to do with it. I really dig the game, and I am hoping to find one with a bad pf, but nice cab and display (sounds easy right?), Then I can sell off the parts from the old pf to help pay for the project. I looked on marco and they didn't seem to have much for dedicated playfield parts. Couple questions, how much are mavericks selling for lately in the mich area? are the pf's usually trashed? (seems like they were all mylared) and lastly are the pf parts easy or hard to find? you can post or email me directly if you wish. I am interested to hear some opinions. really, the only thing I know is I like the game.
cheers, kruzman
[email protected]

#60 9 years ago

5 rpm in 1min 3 seconds

#61 9 years ago

Anyone know if you can get an oversized output pulley so I can speed that sucka up?
If the motor's okay then that's my only option...

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

5 rpm in 1min 3 seconds

The paddle wheel completes 3 revolutions in one minute...half what it should be doing??
All 3 opto's checked and good also.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

No, it is definitely too slow. And you can see in the video it struggles, stutters at points.
The4horse, did you check the motor voltage compared to my readings for 29VAC?

It sounds like you have the right motor.

Did you ever confirm you were getting the correct voltage to the motor? Earlier in this thread you said you measured "19.6 Volts". I measured 29VAC on mine. Doesn't sound quite right there.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It sounds like you have the right motor.

Did you ever confirm you were getting the correct voltage to the motor? Earlier in this thread you said you measured "19.6 Volts". I measured 29VAC on mine. Doesn't sound quite right there.

What would cause that? The technician went over it and couldn't find anything wrong but I guess he might not have known how many volts it should be getting.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

What would cause that? The technician went over it and couldn't find anything wrong but I guess he might not have known how many volts it should be getting.

Schematics are a bit fuzzy and hard to read. Looks like the source is indicated as "BR2". BR2 would be the bridge rectifier for the solenoids. I can only assume that the AC voltage for the motor is tapped off somewhere on the input side of the bridge, because I am not at my game. I could take a further look in detail to compare measurements along the motor supply voltage path for you. There really isn't anything indicated between the transformer secondary and the motor/relay. Could be an issue with relay contacts, soldering, wiring, connectors or transformer secondary.

What you would do to find out would be to first measure your source right at the transformer secondary. Measure AC across the white/red pair of wires from the transformer (CN1 pins 6 & 7). If it measures something significantly higher than what is measured across the motor, you've got a weak connection somewhere along that path. If it's low to begin with, you'd need to take a closer look at all the voltages in and out of the transformer to determine if the transformer is a problem, or something else.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Could be an issue with relay contacts, soldering, wiring, connectors or transformer secondary.

Thanks heaps Wayout440 for all the info...I'm not very tech savvy but I'll do what I can. At least I can pass this on to the technician who might now be able to fix it if I cant. It's been this way for a long time and I can't wait until it's working properly!

The technician suggested that perhaps the two pulleys had been reversed at some stage during it's life and that might be slowing the paddle wheel. Is that possible?

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Thanks heaps Wayout440 for all the info...I'm not very tech savvy but I'll do what I can. At least I can pass this on to the technician who might now be able to fix it if I cant. It's been this way for a long time and I can't wait until it's working properly!
The technician suggested that perhaps the two pulleys had been reversed at some stage during it's life and that might be slowing the paddle wheel. Is that possible?

You're welcome. The whole assembly is not an easy animal to deal with, the gear box is a bit intimidating, at least to me it is. I suppose you could have wrong/reversed pullys. Without looking I would assume these are attached to the axles with set screws, the same as Cyclone. The smaller pully drives the larger. All I know about pullys is the size and torque relationship, and wondered if changing them around or to something different would help the speed.

If you really get desperate, I vote that you redesign it completely. I toyed with this idea, but at this time with my game completely working I am not ready to tear into it just yet.

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

If you really get desperate, I vote that you redesign it completely.

After a year, I'm getting pretty desperate, but I think I'll try a different sized pulley before anything else.

#69 9 years ago

I am going to add on to this discussion, hopefully someone can help me out. Kind of new to repairing pinball machines, so this may a simple question. The opto at the entrance to the paddle wheel is not working, so I tried to order a replacement from Pinball Resource. The opto has a transmitter and receiver, the transmitter is in stock but they said the receiver is no longer available from Stern. I haven't found them at any of the other pinball parts dealers sites either. Anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation, or is there any other place to get these new or used? Thanks!

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from sckurk:

I haven't found them at any of the other pinball parts dealers sites either. Anyone have any advice on what to do in this situation, or is there any other place to get these new or used? Thanks!

Marco sells a reed switch to replace the opto. I'm not sure if you want to go down that route or have it original...here's the link

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5145-XX

#71 9 years ago

If the board is ok (are you sure it's dead, and not just that a wire has cracked off the board?) You might just be able to replace the LED itself, and probably get that from an electronics distributor online. The Maverick Opto service bulletin has great detail of troubleshooting and part numbers for these visible spectrum opto pairs.
http://files.flipperspill.no/Support/Pinball/Serviceb/Stern/067_SB.PDF

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Marco sells a reed switch to replace the opto. I'm not sure if you want to go down that route or have it original...here's the link
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/180-5145-XX

Mine has it. I think it was put in before it was sold as a fix.

20141004_192845.jpg20141004_192845.jpg
#73 9 years ago

The fix is kind of a bandaid, and requires more work than actually fixing the optos correctly. Don't get me wrong - it's entirely acceptable to go that route, but if the optos are fixed correctly they are quite reliable. I had one in the boat that had a broken wire, soldered it and hot glued over it to prevent further vibration problems. The transmitter at the paddlewheel entrance had a dead LED, no problem with the board. I took an old LED camping headlight and stole an LED out of it - Maverick uses visible light spectrum LEDs, not infrared. I have never had a single opto problem with it since.

#74 9 years ago

Thanks so much for the quick responses! We will look at it again this weekend in light of your suggestions and see if we can figure out a way to fix it without having to replace the unavailable opto receiver.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

I answered my own question...no, they are totally different and aren't interchangeable.
I let the technician know, as this was his latest suggestion and his reply was;

"Okay then all is lost"

I feel so reassured!

I'm going to hunt down a larger pulley to add to the motor end and see what happens...

#76 9 years ago

Found the exact same type of u-groove pulley at my local hobby and engineering supplies...it's twice the diameter and has fixed the issue of the slow paddle wheel. Maverick now works perfectly!

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Found the exact same type of u-groove pulley at my local hobby and engineering supplies...it's twice the diameter and has fixed the issue of the slow paddle wheel. Maverick now works perfectly!

That's great. Works perfectly? Wow!
But it makes me wonder: What would happen if you changed it out on one that already works well? Could you post information on the part and supplier for the pulley you used?

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

That's great. Works perfectly? Wow!
But it makes me wonder: What would happen if you changed it out on one that already works well? Could you post information on the part and supplier for the pulley you used?

Sure, it might be a fun experiment. One day if someone works out what the issue was on mine, I'll find out how fast my paddle wheel can go too!

Here's the link to the supplier and the part;

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partscombined/ugroovebearingsandpulleys/ugroovebearingsandpulleys/a/41/

It's Part Number: PUF024-0635-064-AB - the two and a half inch 'outside diameter' one.

4 months later
#79 9 years ago

Hello The4hourse, i have exactly the same problem, my paddle wheel is very slow, i changed the motor for a new oje at marcos specialities, I have also the same issue with the music, suddenly in the middle of the game, the music goes off, how did you solve this issue with the music? For the wheel did you just change the pulley?

#80 9 years ago
Quoted from sebess:

Hello The4hourse, i have exactly the same problem, my paddle wheel is very slow, i changed the motor for a new oje at marcos specialities, I have also the same issue with the music, suddenly in the middle of the game, the music goes off, how did you solve this issue with the music? For the wheel did you just change the pulley?

Hi Sebess,
Sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on Pinside this week.
I purchase the larger pulley and it doubled the speed of my paddlewheel! The part is identical except for a larger diameter overall. It turns out the pulley I bought was sent from the USA so you might be able to access a different site for this. The sound problem was to do with the roms that I'd been sold...they were apparently mislabelled and sold to me by mistake.All the roms needed to be the updated ones for the sound to work properly. I replaced / updated the display, sound and cpu roms so that they were all compatible and that has fixed all the problems I'd been having. I hope this helps and good luck!

11 months later
#81 8 years ago

Another Aussie with a Maverick paddle wheel issue here. Thought I'd post here instead of creating a new thread. I'm fixing a Maverick for someone at the moment.

Optos seem to trigger fine. Noise goes off when I put finger in first beam. Also goes off when ball goes through beam.

First thing. The paddle wheel is going continuously from the time a game begins. Assuming this is normal? Secondly, the first two times a ball went through the opto beam, it loaded onto the wheel and made its way round fine and locked the ball or did what it had to do....from this point on, it was rather hit and miss.

Sometimes, the ball will load onto the wheel and the wheel will drop with the weight of the ball and get stuck/sit there indefinitely til the ball search is triggered and then I have to manually move the wheel around to get it going again.

Can someone please give me help on what needs to be done at this stage?

Cheers!
Adam.

#82 8 years ago

Reading on another forum and from around the web, people have replaced the complete motor and it still hasn't changed speed or fixed the wheel issue. One person said that they changed the black rubber belt to a brand new one and this worked. I am also going to replace the rubber belt, unless someone has some other suggestions?

#83 8 years ago

Answered my own question on this one.

Replaced the rubber pulley belt on the paddle wheel and also levelled the game to around 7 degrees. The wheel now picks the ball up every time and no annoying ball search issue. The motor must be spinning at a good speed and the Optos are working.

1 year later
#84 6 years ago

with pieces do you have to remove to change the belt ,,,running out of patience

1 year later
#85 5 years ago

i changed the belt on mine yesterday, you have to remove the metal wire shield under neath the wheel and then remove the main assembly itself. pretty straight forward its only held on with 4 screws and one main wire connector. The belt change has complete cured the slipping, i had the same problem as mentioned above with the wheel once loaded with a ball it was getting stuck and had to be manually free'd

ive been browsing the thread as i believe my entrance opto isnt working. Thanks for the tips guys , im going to take that opto out and see if i can repair prior to trying the reed switch option.

IMG_4032 (resized).JPGIMG_4032 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#86 5 years ago

You don’t have to remove anything at all to change the pulley on the paddle wheel EXCEPT for the plastic Lauren Bell and the long clear semi-teardrop shaped plastic along the side of the Lauren Bell.

Drop the new belt the new belt between the paddle wheel and the hole in the play field. I worked with a small hook type pick and wrapped that belt around the paddle wheel itself until I could pull it over to the other side of the paddle wheel where the paddle wheel pulley is. Then, you go under the PF and hook it around the pulley. I had to raise and lower the PF several times to pull and tug the belt into place, but the only time I ever stretched it at all was when I hooked it I onto both pulleys. After I had the new pulley in place, I cut the old dry rotted pulley out.

Also, I know that there have been people that have replaced the bottom pulley with a 2.5 inch pulley to speed up the paddle wheel. The Australian Small parts website no longer offers it. Has anyone been able to source one from somewhere else? I’m thinking of making one with some special order fender washers and then coating them in plasti-dip IF I can’t find one online.

1 year later
#87 4 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Sure, it might be a fun experiment. One day if someone works out what the issue was on mine, I'll find out how fast my paddle wheel can go too!
Here's the link to the supplier and the part;
http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/partscombined/ugroovebearingsandpulleys/ugroovebearingsandpulleys/a/41/
It's Part Number: PUF024-0635-064-AB - the two and a half inch 'outside diameter' one.

Yes. These are still obtainable, no longer promoting this range as pricing has increased. New price is $91.60 + GST each. 5 in stock in the factory, approx. 2-3 weeks delivery

#88 4 years ago

Hi. Newbee here. I'm replacing my wheel entrance optos since their acting up 30% of the time. I still play but turn the volume way down as the LB whistle blows constantly when not working correctly. Here's my question. Unlike the optos under the LB, the ones at the paddle wheele entrance are mounted with plastic rivits that seems I'll have to destroy to remove the old boards. How would you recommend I attach the new optos?

2BE030F3-B0CB-44F2-9C22-272028C78F78 (resized).jpeg2BE030F3-B0CB-44F2-9C22-272028C78F78 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 259.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-paddle-wheel-triggers-ball-search/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.