IMG_1189_(resized).JPG
IMG_1190_(resized).JPG
opto_wires_(resized).jpg
paddle_wheel_entry_(resized).jpg
paddle_wheel_area.jpg
opto.png
mavsw.jpg
666_500_csupload_22556197_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

You said you performed steps 1-4 in the S.B. When you get to step 4, do you get a switch closure at jumpering? Read the responses in step #4 in bold. Remember you must be in switch test as indicated in step #1

#4 9 years ago

Yes, your ball is not being registered as a lock because switch #45 is not being recognized.
The instructions say to short the column (GRN-XXX, where XXX is the color of the wire stripe) to the row (WHT-XXX, where XXX is the color of the wire stripe for the row)

Both lock optos use the same column so both switch #45 and #46 receiver should have one green wire with a blue stripe. Each switch receiver should also have a white wire with a stripe. #45 switch wire row return is a white wire with blue stripe . ( #46 row is a white wire with green stripe)

Shorting the white wire with blue stripe to the the green wire with a blue stripe is the only way to activate switch #45. If this does not happen, then there is no way the opto can trigger it even if the switch is perfectly working. Until you can make that switch closure with the row and column manually, it's useless to troubleshoot the opto. Also, If the color of the wires are incorrect, you'll need to trace them back to the other switches to figure out why.

mavsw.jpgmavsw.jpg
3 weeks later
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from WesleyCowan:

In reading service update #67 it says the optos aren't infra red, i.e. like optos used in other pins. My tech doesn't believe other pinball optos will work as an alternative. It seems perhaps that we must find the rare optos the manual and service bulletin specify. Or a replacement opto board which I can't find anywhere. I'm wondering where to get the specific optos for these boards?

You don't need any that are special or "rare" - but definitely not infrared. I repaired one of mine by cannibalizing a camper's headlamp to steal a bright visible red spectrum LED from it. Works great!

#12 9 years ago

What's wrong with the receiver? There's not a lot of components there, so really the only reason to replace the board is if it is missing, or severely damaged. Remember too, that it is just a switch. You could even replace it with a suitable infrared pair or rebuild the receiver from scratch if you can't locate the exact part.

opto.pngopto.png
3 weeks later
#15 8 years ago

That's a great game, I'd be bumming if mine were down. Glad you got it going!

6 months later
#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

So I wonder why optos were never a good solution in the first place? Why did they not work well for that application? (boat entrance)

Opto's are a fine solution - in principle. No moving parts to wear out and no friction with the ball. The problems are more with mounting, the execution of the design, than with the fact they are optical switches. With a better design from the start in regards to a rigid mount that keeps the opto aligned, and some better wiring attachment resistant to vibration, and nobody would be talking about "all the opto problems with Maverick". Mine work perfectly. Optical switches are used everywhere in modern technology, and there's no reason for them to not be able to work in a pinball machine.

1 month later
#25 8 years ago

I don't see anything missing, although tough to see under the metal lip of the bracket. This assembly is all you need. I replaced my LED on this transmitter board with an LED from a camping headlamp (Maverick uses visible light LEDs, not infrared) and has been perfect ever since. All you have to do is make certain the assembly doesn't move and can aim the light through the hole to the other opto.

#26 8 years ago

666_500_csupload_22556197_(resized).jpg666_500_csupload_22556197_(resized).jpg

3 months later
#34 8 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

Thanks Harvs. I may need to go with the reed switch option but first I'll see if I can figure out the optos.
I found some black and gray wires under the playfield that are probably the ones I need but there are two grays and two blacks fused together into a connector. Not sure how to correct that.

20160409_092035_(resized).jpg

The black and gray are opto transmitter ground and +5VDC power, there isn't anything to correct there. The reason they are "fused" together, is the transmitting optos (the one that lights up red) all get the same power and this is daisy chained from one transmitter opto to the next. The RECIEVER optos that pick up the light beam have the corresponding switch row and column colors (wht/xxx and grn/xxx) When the light beam is broken by the ball, the row and column become connected, just like a mechanical switch.

6 years later
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-optos-problem-usally-fixes-not-helping?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.