IMG_1189_(resized).JPG
IMG_1190_(resized).JPG
opto_wires_(resized).jpg
paddle_wheel_entry_(resized).jpg
paddle_wheel_area.jpg
opto.png
mavsw.jpg
666_500_csupload_22556197_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 8 years ago

Nice to hear you got your opto prob fixed. I picked up a Maverick recently and it has not been working since day one. The ball will lock and register but then a bit later (randomly) the ball will release causing a 2 ball multiball (not correct).

I reflowed boat opto 1 on (receiver and transmitter). when putting it back together it did not work. it turns out that is was not aligned. so after much tweaking i got them aligned.

I thoroughly tested the boat optos (with balls). everything worked in switch test. fire up a game and shortly after locking ball one, during single ball play the boat released the ball again.

Maybe i still need to tweak the alignment of boat opto 1. Is there something else i should be looking at?

2 months later
#18 8 years ago

Well it turns out i was working on the boat optos when i should have been working on the boat entrance opto. turns out that the optos have been replaced with a read switch that does not work well. it seems to register randomly making my machine think that a ball has entered so it releases a 2nd ball into play.

I would like to put optos back in there. does anyone know where i can get a set that would work for this? is there a plug and play option?

I guess i should start with finding the part number and see anyone has them.

#21 8 years ago

So I wonder why optos were never a good solution in the first place? Why did they not work well for that application? (boat entrance)

I wonder if I swapped back to optos (if i can find them) if i will just encounter the same original problems?

My reed switch is essentially having the same problems that I imagine the optos were having.

Maybe there is some adjustment I can do to my reed switch that will solve the issue as you suggested.

Anyone have any experience with reed switch adjustments and any recommendations?

1 week later
#23 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Opto's are a fine solution - in principle. No moving parts to wear out and no friction with the ball. The problems are more with mounting, the execution of the design, than with the fact they are optical switches. With a better design from the start in regards to a rigid mount that keeps the opto aligned, and some better wiring attachment resistant to vibration, and nobody would be talking about "all the opto problems with Maverick". Mine work perfectly. Optical switches are used everywhere in modern technology, and there's no reason for them to not be able to work in a pinball machine.

Good info! Maybe I will revert to optos if I can find the boards!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider shenanigander.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-optos-problem-usally-fixes-not-helping?tu=shenanigander and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.