• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

013.JPG
015.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Went to turn on my maverick machine this morning and it's not working. When you turn it on, it makes a loud humming noise, the paddle wheel turns a bit and then stops. some of the lights come on, the DMD doesn't and for all intents and purposes the game is dead. I'm new to pinball, so I don't even know where to begin to try to troubleshoot. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Lou

#2 12 years ago

Look for any blown fuses... Do you have the instruction manual for the machine? It has the schematics and troubleshooting in it.

#3 12 years ago

First thing open up the back box and look to see if the pia light is on.

#4 12 years ago

I have the instruction manual and I'm looking at the fuses now...is it okay to have the machine powered on, or could it do more damage?

#5 12 years ago

Okay, the PIA light is on...i reseated all of the ribbon cables in the backbox, didn't help any...

#6 12 years ago

Do you have a copy of clay's guides? If not send me a pm. It might be easier for you to read through them.

#7 12 years ago

Any sign of battery corrosion on the MPU near or on the batteries?

#8 12 years ago

no sign on battery corrosion on the mpu or on the batteries, I'm replacing the batteries anyway...I found a blown fuse a 4 amp slow blow and replaced it, but the machine isn't working...I thought that would do the trick...do I have reset something once a fuse is replaced?

#9 12 years ago

Re-Seat cpu and display rom.

#10 12 years ago

i have clay's guides...thanks

how would I go about re-seating the cpu and display roms?

#11 12 years ago

Take them out and put them back in. Honestly if you have to ask you might not want to do it.

#12 12 years ago

i found a broken fuse clip on the power supply board (the one clip holding the fuse has 2 parts, the other side, it only has 1/2 a clip)...are these fuse clips difficult to replace...?

are the roms the boards?

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from louknees:

are the roms the boards?

Roms are on the boards. that's probably not it. If you have broken fuse parts, fix those first.

#14 12 years ago

are all three lights supposed to stay on when powered up? I was under the impression that they weren't...

015.JPG015.JPG

#15 12 years ago

2 are supposed to be on.

I sold my jp today, but if memory serves at startup you should have 5 volt and the pia should be lit briefly. Then it should shut off and the blanking should be on.

I would go through clays guides again as it should tell you why the pia light is on.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

If you have broken fuse parts, fix those first.

That's correct and this would be the best place to start,The most problematic thing on Data east/Stern boards are the fuse clips.They are cheap and split/break off very easily,This could be the problem why your game is not working.

Quoted from louknees:

i found a broken fuse clip on the power supply board (the one clip holding the fuse has 2 parts, the other side, it only has 1/2 a clip)

What's the location of that fuse on the board so we can narrow it down to see what it drives?

#17 12 years ago

it is the f5 fuse clip on the p/s board. here is a picture. I don't think it just broke, but I can't be certain of this. I looked on marco and ebay and I couldn't find these fuse clips for sale.

013.JPG013.JPG

#18 12 years ago

This is from Clay's Guides

"If there is a problem with the CPU when the game is turned on, the PIA LED will
usually stay on, and not turn off (and the Blanking LED will not turn on). Here is
what this means:
PIA LED turns ON (and stays on), blanking LED never turns on: EPROM at
location 5C and/or 5B is bad.
PIA LED turns ON, turns OFF (and stays off), blanking LED never turns on:
EPROM at location 5C and/or 5B is bad (this LED sequence is very rare).
PIA LED turns ON, turns OFF, then turns ON (and stays on), and blanking LED
never turns on: 6264 (28 pins) or 6116 (24 pins) RAM at location 5D is bad."

My problem is all 3 lights turn on (the pia, blanking and +5) and stay on when I turn the machine on.

#19 12 years ago

Louknees,Do you have a multimeter?

Test that bridge rectifier on the power supply board,It's the Big square thing and there's only one on that board.

Power off the game and it's easy to test in-circuit with the meter set to diode function. Red lead on the ‘”-” bridge lug, black leads on the lugs next to it. Should see .4 to .6 volts.

#20 12 years ago

http://www.greatplainselectronics.com/Category-32.asp

Top of the page. you want the high current

Product ID: 1A1907-03
Fuse Clip, 3AG, High Current, Tin Plated

#21 12 years ago

I read this thread title and thought James Garner had passed away. Wait, he's still alive right?

#22 12 years ago

PIA = pain in the ass

#23 12 years ago

james garner is still alive...booted the machine up again and left it on for a bit and watched it blow the F8 4 amp fuse that I replaced and then I smelled burning, so i believe this problem is out of my technical ability...

#24 12 years ago

Sounds like a coil may be locking on which would be a transistor issue maybe?

#25 12 years ago

F8 is on the PPB. It drives the high voltage coils if memory serves me correctly. The burning smell was probably the wrapper around the coil melting.

Do you have a good multi meter that can read ohms?
Does it have a diode setting?

You will need to figure out which coil locked on. Replace the melted fuse. Take the glass off and raise the playfield. Turn on the machine briefly and try to spot the coil that fires and stays on. If you cannot find it in a couple of seconds turn the machine off and let the coil and the fuse cool for a few minutes and try again.

Once you find the coil take the wires off the lugs. Put the multi meter on ohms and put connect one end to each lug. It should be above 4 ohms. If it is replace the diode on the coil, pay attention to which way the band is. Put the wires back on as they were.

Now you need to pull the popcorn popper board. Look in your manual for the coil chart. It will tell you what transistor drives that coil.You need to replace the large tip36c (someone correct me if I am wrong its been awhile) with a new one. Put the PBB board back in and pull the driverboard. Look in the manual again to figure out what transistor drives that coil. It should be a tip102 or tip122. Replace that one with a tip102 and its predriver if it has one.

That *should* fix the locked on coil problem.

Have you replaced the broken fuse clip? If not make sure you replace both ends at the same time as they tend to fail one after the other. I would go around and check the other fuses. Firmly press down on each fuse. If the holder gives way it needs to be replaced.

#26 12 years ago

I'm going to disconnect the upper right flipper coil, the flipper's been giving me trouble for the past month, sticking and it probably got stuck open. Once I disconnect it I'll fire up the machine and see if the fuses still blow...

I have a multimeter that reads OHMS...I'll have to check to see if it has a diode setting.

I've never done sodering work before on machines, What should I lay down in the cabinet that can protect the machine from the soder? I was thinking cardboard.

I have not replaced the broken fuse clip. They are ordered. Just waiting for them to come in.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Take them out and put them back in. Honestly if you have to ask you might not want to do it.

Sounds like something you'd hear on RGP.

#28 12 years ago

If you are talking about soldering inside the cabinet, then don't worry about laying anything down. I just vacuum out the cab after a shop job and it comes up.

If this is your first time working on a board you need to decide what you will use to get the old solder off the board. Some use wick, some use a squeeze bulb, some use a spring loaded sucker (what I use) and the pros use a desoldering station which has a small vacuum attached to it.

You can pick up the wick, bulb, or spring loaded from radio shack. Taking those fuse clips out isn't too hard, just take it easy. I do recommend that you get a bit of practice before you move on to transistors, and get a lot of practice before you tackle a chip.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from BillinIndiana:

AkumaZeto said:Take them out and put them back in. Honestly if you have to ask you might not want to do it.

Its true though. Honestly better to not do it. Bent pins etc. We all had to be first but lots of risk of damage on that op if it goes bad. No time like the present disconnect the coil plugs forget which ones they are on the ppb and see if game fires up.

#30 12 years ago

I picked up a spring loaded sucker at radio shack the last time I was there

#31 12 years ago

TO the OP if you want someone (a tech) to walk you threw this pm me and i will be glad to call and help you.

#32 12 years ago

I'm just learning too, but I think once you find the coil that is locked on you can look it up in the manual. The manual will tell you what transistor fires it, Q-??. Once you know that, with the machine off, Set your DMM to Countinuity, place the Neg(Black) lead of your DMM on the Ground Braid of the back box and Pos(red) lead to the metal tab of transistor Q-?. If you have Continuity( buzz on my meter) then the transistor is shorted and needs to be replaced. I do believe that you should also replace the pre-driver to the shorted coil also as there's a chance it is damaged also.

Like I said I'm just learning, so I hope my little input helps, Bill in Indiana

#33 12 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

TO the OP if you want someone (a tech) to walk you threw this pm me and i will be glad to call and help you.</blockquote

BillinIndiana said:AkumaZeto said:Take them out and put them back in. Honestly if you have to ask you might not want to do it.
Its true though. Honestly better to not do it. Bent pins etc. We all had to be first but lots of risk of damage on that op if it goes bad. No time like the present disconnect the coil plugs forget which ones they are on the ppb and see if game fires up.

I guess I just believe " You have to start somewhere".

#34 12 years ago

AkumaZeto said:TO the OP if you want someone (a tech) to walk you threw this pm me and i will be glad to call and help you.</blockquote
AkumaZeto said:BillinIndiana said:AkumaZeto said:Take them out and put them back in. Honestly if you have to ask you might not want to do it.
I guess I just believe " You have to start somewhere".

Oh for sure. But if you dont have a chip puller and attempt to use a screw driver butter knife etc you can cause more harm than good. If its the fuse that controls 18volts that also is the same for the 5volt logic. Game wont boot if thats the case.

If it was me i would disconnect all psu and coil driver plugs. I would apply 5 volts to the test point and a ground and see if the cpu fires up. Same for the Display. A De display can be fire up and go into attract on its own without the need of the cpu. It has its own 6808. Lots of stuff he can do based on his skill level

#35 12 years ago

I'm just learning too, but I think once you find the coil that is locked on you can look it up in the manual. The manual will tell you what transistor fires it, Q-??. Once you know that, with the machine off, Set your DMM to Countinuity, place the Neg(Black) lead of your DMM on the Ground Braid of the back box and Pos(red) lead to the metal tab of transistor Q-?. If you have Continuity( buzz on my meter) then the transistor is shorted and needs to be replaced. I do believe that you should also replace the pre-driver to the shorted coil also as there's a chance it is damaged also.

Like I said I'm just learning, so I hope my little input helps, Bill in Indiana

It depends on the transistor each one tests differently. Some I still haven't found out how to test VN02's for example.

For most using the diode setting to read and compare will often point out the non-working ones. I would say 95 percent of the time, every once in awhile one will test good, but act bad.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from AkumaZeto:

Oh for sure. But if you dont have a chip puller and attempt to use a screw driver butter knife etc

I have to admit.. I need a chip puller, I just bent the leg of an 7402

Quoted from dung:

It depends on the transistor each one tests differently. Some I still haven't found out how to test VN02's for example.

I guess my suggestion is only good for a TIP 102 huh? I just assumed since my machine's coils are fired by an TIP 102 all coils would be on all machines. Probably not the case, now that you point it out.

#37 12 years ago

the coils are locking and staying on, the plunger coil, upkicker coils engage, the pop bumpers and flipper coils don't...thinking it's a problem with my 5 volts....the F5 keeps blowing on the ppb board...the bridge rectifier on the ppb board is fine...just stuck now with what to do next.

#38 12 years ago

all the tip36c are fine...and we are not booting, a 5 volt problem..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-is-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.