You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27CA69E1-90B7-46EF-99C7-43275D1696B3 (resized).png
BB3CD0A7-70A7-4C9A-A592-FEE0A9CE15E7 (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hi
I’m a pinball newbie and have my first machine: Maverick. There have been a number of small issues so I’m getting to grips with how it all works.
The paddle wheel opto switch has stopped working which is very annoying. I’ve had a play around with it but thought it would be easier to replace as the transmitter doesn’t look as bright as the two ball lock optos. I have the new little pcbs with leds on but am slightly struggling to see how to actually replace them. I’ve taken off all the easy bits but the pcbs are quite well protected in some metal housing. If anyone has any advice on what I need to do to replace these two pcbs it would be great. Do I need to remove the housing? Does that need to be done from underneath? (As that seems very inaccessible)
Thanks v much

#2 2 years ago

That paddle wheel opto is a nightmare and never seems to work right. I tried replacing both receiver and transmitter and that didn’t fix it. Also tried moving them a bit closer but still didn’t make it reliable. Those are also $40 to replace and you need to remove a pile of stuff from the top of the playfield.

I decided to replace it with a cherry switch and wired gate to trip the switch. Took a little bit of work but now works perfectly

Mike V

#3 2 years ago

Here is a photo of the assembly. You can wire it directly into the switch matrix. You wont need the opto power anymore

Mike V

BB3CD0A7-70A7-4C9A-A592-FEE0A9CE15E7 (resized).pngBB3CD0A7-70A7-4C9A-A592-FEE0A9CE15E7 (resized).png

#4 2 years ago

Very cool RacingPin. Any sort of tutorial about how to make that modification?

#5 2 years ago

Here is the back shot showing the wires

27CA69E1-90B7-46EF-99C7-43275D1696B3 (resized).png27CA69E1-90B7-46EF-99C7-43275D1696B3 (resized).png

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Very cool RacingPin. Any sort of tutorial about how to make that modification?

Basically what I did was twist the existing wire gate end up so it can trip a switch. Put in a small cherry switch with an extension bent to get hit by the wire gate end. The trick is to position/bend everything so it is not to hard to trap the ball and not to light that the switch doesn’t get tripped long enough. When I got everything right I screwed down the switch. If you want to make this mod completely reversible you can double stick tape the switch in place and use new white/green wires that lead to the disconnect underneath.

Mike V

#7 2 years ago

Thanks MikeV, I'm getting the idea more now. You are using the existing gate and adding a switch to it and disabling the original opto and using one wire sets to the original optio.

What is the function of that original gate? It doesn't look like anything is hooked up to it.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks MikeV, I'm getting the idea more now. You are using the existing gate and adding a switch to it and disabling the original opto and using one wire sets to the original optio.
What is the function of that original gate? It doesn't look like anything is hooked up to it.

Excellent question! I’m guessing it it is to stop the ball from accidently bouncing out of ferry queue. And indeed the opto power is not needed anymore.

Mike V

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Mouldy:

Hi
I’m a pinball newbie and have my first machine: Maverick. There have been a number of small issues so I’m getting to grips with how it all works.
The paddle wheel opto switch has stopped working which is very annoying. I’ve had a play around with it but thought it would be easier to replace as the transmitter doesn’t look as bright as the two ball lock optos. I have the new little pcbs with leds on but am slightly struggling to see how to actually replace them. I’ve taken off all the easy bits but the pcbs are quite well protected in some metal housing. If anyone has any advice on what I need to do to replace these two pcbs it would be great. Do I need to remove the housing? Does that need to be done from underneath? (As that seems very inaccessible)

Thanks v much

Yes I changed both of my same thing didn't work at all but most things from the topside have too come off its not easy too do but it's the only way too do this and after I did my they worked great now

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-help-with-paddle-wheel-opto and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.