(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_gonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1651 1 year ago

Ante up pardners, got a new club member today! I picked up a project game today at a good price. It needs a lot but should clean up nice. It's been home use for the last 25 years, and appears to have had very few plays as well as very little maintenance. Upper flipper not working, broken drop target, etc. It all seems fairly minor though. Any must have mods? I mean like functional ones, like the saucer mod for AFM that looks like it could have been factory. I see Comet doesn't have a kit, I guess I will have to build one. Maybe they can use it on their site in the future to help others. Also, the DMD on the left side has sort of a rough semicircle shape that isn't as bright as the rest. I've never seen that before, has anyone else? I'll check the cables and such when I get it set up, however I don't think that will fix it. Very odd. Too tired to haul it downstairs tonight but I'll post a pic soon.

#1653 1 year ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Welcome too the club great game all around when u get it set up and go though it all and see what it needs too get it all working again enjoy

Thanks, it's playing rough right now but it's still actually fun. I think it will be great when finished. So here's a couple things I've never seen, however I've also never owned a large DMD game. You can see in the pics the left side is dim. I reseated the cables and no change. Anyone seen this before? I'm almost certain it's a sign of failure and there's no fix. Also, there's some strange dust on the board. It seems something has failed or is in the process of dying.

20220710_164124 (resized).jpg20220710_164124 (resized).jpg20220710_164409 (resized).jpg20220710_164409 (resized).jpg20220710_185440 (resized).jpg20220710_185440 (resized).jpg
#1656 1 year ago

And sometimes I was told if they are in bad shape should be changed but I would just clean it all and see what happens from there ,the board doesn't look that bad at all

Yeah the board seems fine. I'll wipe it down. I guess I'll live with the display for now and eventually go with color DMD. This cracked me up today, I guess they called this flasher close enough

20220711_122357 (resized).jpg20220711_122357 (resized).jpg
#1662 1 year ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

The board is fine, just clean it - that spot gets pretty hot and that is years of dust being pilled across by convection.
The DMD is degassing - leave it and see if it Get’s better if it is left on and has regular use. If not - they are hard to find ago go the upgrade route to Pinled or similar - not cheap so I would live with the dim screen.
Summary - check and fxt the rest, these 2 are not an issue.

Good to know, thanks. I'll just keep with the display for now.

#1663 1 year ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I have good used large displays available for $220 (each) shipped. I replaced both my Maverick & Baywatch displays with Color XLEDs

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. The color DMD is still unavailable, and I plan on putting this game on location after it's shopped. If the display holds up I'll let it earn for a bit to absorb the part of the color DMD cost. If it fails and color DMD isn't back you'll be hearing from me.

#1665 1 year ago

Are there supposed to be diodes on the flipper coils? I just looked and mine have none. I haven't owned a DE in a long time so maybe they don't. I don't see it shown in the manual either

#1667 1 year ago

Yes I just looked on my

Well, that's a problem. Not sure why they would have been removed but thanks

#1670 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Definitely fix that. No diodes on the coils will blow all kinds of stuff.

They're there, it was dark when I looked. I didn't realize they are small and hard to see. I'm waiting on rubber and LED's before shopping it, and played it a lot last night. What a fun game! I really like it. My captive ball target isn't working, so it sucks playing Bank Heist. I was going to pull it out and check it, then I realized with the field up the ball would roll to the end and it might be a pain to get the target back in. I guess that can wait until I strip the topside.

Does anyone know the ROM differences from 2.0 to 4.0? I need to upgrade.

Also, has anyone found the secrets the manual mentions?

As players become more
experienced, they may
discover Maverick's "tells" hidden features
and/or undocumented rules which may
give players an even greater advantage
when playing the game!

#1672 1 year ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

It takes a strong hit to score Bank Heist. The first thing to try is to clean & wax under the captive ball and the trail to the target. If this area is dirty the captive ball won't hit the target hard enough.

My mistake, the switch itself is not registering. I think I will have to remove the captive ball before I can pull it and check it.

#1674 1 year ago

I got some parts in and started getting it cleaned up. So, the when they drilled the playfield it seems they missed a GI lamp? Certainly looks like it, I assume everyone's is like this? Both sides are missing a hole and a lamp.

20220716_235214 (resized).jpg20220716_235214 (resized).jpg20220716_235301 (resized).jpg20220716_235301 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#1676 1 year ago

So, new drop targets are on order and I'm looking to put on new decals. The guy I bought it from included a new decal sheet he said he bought about 10 years ago. For the straight flush, it has a 5 of diamonds mixed in with spades. The manual shows it's a 5 of diamonds and Marco has a decal sheet for sale that has diamonds as well. What the hell? If I was in a poker game and claimed I had a straight flush with the 3, 4, 6, 7, of spades and a 5 of diamonds I'd get my ass kicked. I looked at some pics and I saw some that had a correct 5 of spades. Was this just an error or was there a reason? It is the target under the captive ball which is the jackpot. Maybe that has something to do with it? Or a mode? I haven't played it much, so maybe I'm missing something.

#1678 1 year ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

The hand is a straight not a straight flush.

Ha, my mistake thanks. I was looking at the decal sheet and not the game.

3 weeks later
#1679 1 year ago

Well after a month of cleaning and rebuilding mechs I finally got to play today. Such a fun game, just need to tweak a couple switches. Couple issues though. Before I tore it down I noticed the auto launch was inconsistent. Sometimes into the pops, sometimes into boat, sometimes through the orbit. I put a new sleeve and spring in when it was apart. I also had found the coil bracket was broken. I had tested it and it seemed to have a strong launch. I made sure to get the wires from the skill shot lights out of the way since they are nearby. Maybe the ball is hopping occasionally and bouncing off a wire. Anyone have an idea? I assume it always should always fire strong to the lock or orbit.

Also, is the playfield GI supposed to go completely out at end of ball? My lower GI is staying on. May have a bad SCR but wanted to check what the proper operation should be first.

#1680 1 year ago
Quoted from Dr_Gonzo:

Also, is the playfield GI supposed to go completely out at end of ball? My lower GI is staying on as well as the pop bumpers. May have a bad SCR but wanted to check what the proper operation should be first.

Bump on the GI issue. I found a wire hanging near the autolaunch, it didn't look like it was in the way but I tucked it under a plastic and the launch is more consistent now.

#1682 1 year ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

My lower GI stays on at the end of a ball. (kickers & return lanes)

That's what mine does as well, seems normal then. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dr_gonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all?tu=dr_gonzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.