(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classicgamefan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#856 5 years ago

New Maverick owner!

Quoted from jitneystand1:

Hoping someone has some insight into my paddle wheel motor. It is VERY loud upon starting. After 3-4 minutes the noise goes down to what you’d expect (audible, but quiet). It seems to function fine at all times and other than the noise nothing seems wrong with it at all. Is there something that can be done other than dealing with it or replacing the motor?

I’m a new Maverick owner. I don’t have a solution, but I have exactly the same problem.

My wheel also runs continuously, but I’m afraid if I fix the entrance opto without a fix for the noise problem, it will be more annoying every time it starts.

Great game though!

4 months later
#990 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Glad to hear you are feeling better.
I figured the whole column wasn't working. At the top of the chart, it shows the column is driven by Q48. Test out this transistor and compare your results to Q49 or Q50. Likely you will see a big difference in how Q48 measures against Q49/Q50.
Set your meter to 2k ohms. Test the transistor outer pin to outer pin, then the middle to one of the outer pins and then middle to the other outer pin. One of these combinations is likely to show the transistor is shorted.

Hopefully obvious, but I just wanted to remind future readers of this thread that Ohming out transistors (or anything really) should be done with the power OFF.

7 months later
#1169 4 years ago
Quoted from dendenjan:

Hello. I just got a Maverick and it's missing the Lauren Belle. Does anybody know where I might be able to get one? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the club! Are you just talking about the cosmetic plastic cover or the entire mechanical assembly?

#1173 4 years ago

I got a NOS Lauren Belle on eBay a little over a year ago (no stickers applied). It wasn’t cheap, but as you can see above, there are still a few out there that come up once in a long while. Someone was also selling a 3D printed repro here on pinside a few years ago (maybe just a one off).

1 month later
#1208 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

...The hole gives you one chance to Raise or Fold each hand. Folding doesn't reset your winning streak. For me left and right banks are fold, everything else is raise. Double or nothing for chips.
Hole ... lol . . Shoot the VUK!

I didn’t realize this for a long time, but there is a third option: Stand. This leaves Raise/Fold lit at the VUK so you can still decide later. Ideally, it would be a double flip, but that doesn’t do anything. Instead, you just have to wait out the timer. It’s rare that I would use this option, but if I’m running a little low on discards (but at least 4) and already have 2 or 3 of the top left five bank down I sometimes use Stand since missing the top left drops often ends up in the VUK anyway and I can reevaluate my discard situation then.

1 month later
#1239 3 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

It's a crossover machine considered as a Data East, probably a lot of development was in progress at the time Data East chose to exit the pinball business and sold the factory to Sega in 1994. You'll notice that there's not much of anything in the way of branding on the cabinet. Should be a "DE" logo on the end of the shooter rod, and software credit to Sega on the display when it boots up - but that's about it.

Good points. I would add that there is a subtle Data East reference even in the final display code. If you don’t plunge than ball for long enough, there is a “Plunge the Ball” animation that clearly shows the plunger with the DE logo.

The flyer shows Data East on the display on the front:
https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=pinballdb&id=124&image=1

And has the Data East logo on the back (no mention of Sega):
https://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=pinballdb&id=124&image=2

Has anyone ever seen a Sega flyer for Maverick?

4 weeks later
#1264 3 years ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

You don't free the captive ball. You hit it and it scores a target behind it.

Actually, to my surprise, you can free the captive ball! It happened to me about a month ago. After many years, the post sleeves were pretty brittle. First one shattered and shortly thereafter the other gave way. The captive ball then rolled out onto the playfield and I knew it was time to shop the game.

BTW, thicker Williams/Bally post sleeves guarding the captive balls make them really hard to hit. My LAH, TFTC, and Maverick all had those bigger O.D. post sleeves installed. I'm not sure if that is what was originally installed, or just what whoever shopped it last had on hand [the I.D. is the same and the larger Bally/Williams ones seem much more common]. At any rate, I recommend trying the narrower "Sega/Stern" post sleeves for better captive ball action:
Color https://www.pinballlife.com/perfectplay-1-116-thin-stern-compatible-rubber-post-sleeve.html

Here are the Pinballlife pics giving an idea of OD difference:
597A78D9-6F87-4A82-8C7D-DF80D82A7780 (resized).jpeg597A78D9-6F87-4A82-8C7D-DF80D82A7780 (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#1293 3 years ago

I posted this to the movies in pinball thread, hopefully it’s not bad form to post it here as well:

My wife was watching a presumably low-budget movie on Amazon Prime called “Legal Action” and I just happened to walk through at the right time to hear some pinball sounds and catch a glimpse of a game. “I think that’s a Maverick”. She gives me the eye roll, but rewinds it anyway. Sure enough, there’s a close-up of the playfield around the flippers and later the wire ramps and a couple of wide shots. The side of the game is painted “County/Line”, the translite is removed showing bare bulbs, and the DMD is placed face-down over the playfield in maintenance pose even as the actor plays! They went through all that trouble/visual mess to obfuscate the copyright game/movie name, but use real sounds from the game (I guess they fear Warner Bros. and Mel Gibson more than Gary Stern). Time starts ~45:25.

8 months later
#1443 3 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Maverick calls for 09-5050-30 upper flipper coil I can't seem to find any ? Or does anyone know what's a good replacement for that coil

I assume that's a typo and should be 090-5050-30.

Some Stern manuals have a coil list for all previous DE/Sega/Stern's in the back and TSPP manual lists 090-5032-00 as suitable for the Maverick Upper Right flipper. Both Marco and Pinball Life carry 090-5032-OT which might work?

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes that's right 090-5050-30 sorry about that ok thanks for the info bud

PinballMedic does list the 090-5032-OT as being compatible with Maverick:
https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html

1 month later
#1450 3 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

My Maverick started activating both flippers when I press either button. Sometimes the wrong flipper doesn't hold other times it does. Any thoughts on where to start?

There are three flippers. Is the upper right flipper flipping with the left flipper also or just the lower right?

The first thing I'd do is go into the Diagnostics switch test and check all of the switches in Column 8 to make sure they aren't cross-talking (possibly a bad / missing switch diode).

If the flipper switches aren't triggering together in diagnostics, then I would look at the flipper board (inside the cabinet on the left-hand side). If you have another Data East/Sega game around the same time you may be able to swap out the flipper board just to see if that's the problem.

1 week later
#1453 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I played my Maverick again and the right flipper button causes all 3 flippers to flip, while the left button activates the lower two flippers.

Have you inspected the flipper board on the inside left of the cabinet for physical damage? Supposedly, you can damage it if you have the playfield tilted at an angle when you raise the playfield.

I’m not suggesting you shotgun replace the flipper board, but just for reference:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5076-00

#1454 2 years ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

Have you inspected the flipper board on the inside left of the cabinet for physical damage? Supposedly, you can damage it if you have the playfield tilted at an angle when you raise the playfield.
I’m not suggesting you shotgun replace the flipper board, but just for reference:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5076-00

Even if something is wrong with your flipper board, it will still probably be cheaper to get it repaired if you don’t have the skill set to do it yourself, but there’s also a Rottendog replacement available (I’ve never used one) that’s cheaper than the NOS Data East board:
https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-data-east-universal-flipper-board.html

I can’t envision how the flipper wiring could just go bad without something obvious (out of place) shorting across or the unlikely scenario where the insulation is damaged on two wires that are touching (possibly hidden in a wire bundle). However, if you want to eliminate the flipper wiring, you should be able to disconnect the flipper button connector from the flipper board and carefully jump across the two pins for either the left or right flipper. Refer to the Maverick manual, but if I recall correctly one of the flipper board diagrams in the manual is incorrect. If only one flipper flips then it’s the wiring. If both flippers flip, then it’s probably the flipper board. If you want to try this, I can look at the manual and tell you which pinoit I think is correct.

1 week later
#1456 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I continue to have problems with my flippers:
Press the left flipper button: Left flipper holds, right flipper chatters , sometimes holds, Upper right flipper doesn't move
Press right flipper button, all three flippers hold
When selecting something like raise or fold sometimes the left flipper button chooses correctly and sometimes it is wrong. The right button chooses correctly.
This is what I have done so far. I have used the switch test to check all of the switches. I do not get any extra closures.
I ordered and installed a new Rottendog flipper board in Maverick. I continue to have the same problems.
I reconfigured and installed the new Rottendog board in my Bay Watch. It works correctly.
Please advise any additional suggestions. Thanks

Something else you could try is to pull the flipper button connector from the flipper board and jumper across the left flipper enable to ground:

From P. 92 of the manual:

This could help eliminated (or point to) the flipper and EOS switch wiring as the problem source.

maverick flipper harness (resized).pngmaverick flipper harness (resized).png
1 year later
#1683 1 year ago

Can anyone help identify if this bent wire piece is a part for my Maverick?

I’ve waited too long putting my Maverick back together and didn’t take enough teardown pics! Does this part go to Maverick? (I’m thinking part of the Lauren Belle assembly.). It’s also possible this has nothing to do with the game and just ended up next to my stack of parts.

Thanks!

F68C5D13-AFAC-48C0-A2BF-0ACA8469AA86 (resized).jpegF68C5D13-AFAC-48C0-A2BF-0ACA8469AA86 (resized).jpeg
#1685 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I have fully stripped 2 Mavericks and I do not recognize that piece.

Thanks for the response! I’ve got it all put back together and will rest easier knowing that I didn’t forget to put a part in.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 259.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider classicgamefan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all?tu=classicgamefan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.