(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 10 years ago

I own it and I think it's a cool machine. Love the theme, love the music. Can't go wrong with poker. Feels more sturdy than other DEs IMO (those pop bumpers seem way less lazy than on other machines I've seen, and machine has a general better feel I think).

I modified the settings to make it harder to lock balls so they don't go as often in the paddlewheel. I have to disagree with you about the modes though. It seems to me that they're all pretty much irrelevant besides the one that allows you to get free balls (forget the name, the one that makes you do the loops).
The scoring is unbalanced as making your poker hands pays a whole lot more than anything else (multiball included), unless you're good enough to hit that captive ball repeatedly.

Nonetheless, I still think this is a pretty cool game.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't know, I just played a game and on Lauren Belle, hit it 6 times, 210m in points, and the bonus for each of extra ball, infinite discard, laser kick, special lit, and an additional 50m and 20x bonus, which is a pretty good mode grab! I also did Angel's Revenge for 90m. Coops Cash is cool as well, and can be huge, as you can make that mode unlimited, as the timer resets if you hit all four shots and then the moving lit shot to cash out and reset the timer. The captive ball mode, as you mentioned, also starts at 100m, and grows a 100m per shot, but is hard.
You are right in winning a lot of straight hands, and raising each time gets big, but those shots are all risky, where most of the mode shots, other than the captive ball are all safe shots if you make them. I think the scoring is actually pretty good and balanced when you fully understand the rules, and the risk in going for drop targets opposed to the mode/jackpot shots.
Not to mention all the possibilities in the skill shot, and the mini mod super skill shot. I have never completed that, or been to the final.

Yep, the Lauren Belle - that's the one I meant. If you want to do a high score you have to go through that one. You're right that the Coop's Cash isn't too bad either. Multiball jackpots aren't worth going for though IMO.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Whaaa? I'll hold two balls on the right, and hit the ramps over and over for no risk points, not worth going for? Even the captive for the super jackpot can be hit with a rebound from the left side. I don't know, less points, but less risk builds pretty fast in this game.

Well, bad choice of words I guess, but I still think it's unbalanced when your poker hands are up in the 140 Millions and the jackpot pays 25.

#18 10 years ago

I like the artwork, and even the cabinet if you can believe that.
I own Fish Tales too and I hate the busy artwork, the Maverick cabinet is sleek and looks just nice in my fake wood paneling basement

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Ahh, but if you get the 4 ball skill shot, you can then up the jackpots to 2x or 3x, that is what I always shoot for, and it's not to tough to get. Then the JP's get much higher.

Makes sense... I barely get anymore multiballs though, since I thought they weren't worth it and to limit how often I go in the paddlewheel, I changed the settings.
Actually that is one way to solve that paddlewheel issue. Make ball locking harder in the settings - then you do go in there just often enough so that it's not annoying anymore.
It would have been nice if they had put the opto at the bottom of the wheel instead of the top to speed it up.

I guess that wheel is no crowd pleaser, but I certainly wouldn't call it a deal breaker to get the machine.

#30 10 years ago

You mean the cable modification helps prevent outgassing?

Well I think some people replaced it successfully with an LCD screen and I think it costs below 350$ in material to do that.
The Homepin guy was talking about making a replacement too at some point but I'm not sure what happened with that.

#49 10 years ago

I have the DE version.
I read about the widebody to regular conversion. I'm not a fan of widebodies, so I'm glad they did this, but that 3rd flipper and the captive ball always felt odd to me. Like it made more sense in the widebody version but they still found a way to make it work int the regular.
It's still fun to drop the three of a kind in one shot from there. Or just keep it up to have the ball gently bounce to your last card at the bottom left (I forget what hand this is... straight?)

4 months later
#78 9 years ago

I think it's some kind of conspiracy why this machine doesn't get any more love. Not sure who's behind it all, maybe ol' Mel would know.

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

He's aurium who now posts cards he makes. This is the link to the cards for Mav:
http://www.pinballcards.com/Pinball-Cards/Maverick
Remember to donate!

Nice!

#84 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I think the top reasons why it is not more of a crowd pleaser:
-Anti Mel folks. Me and the misses love his movies, Maverick included. We could care less about the gossip/politics etc..
-The large DMD failure scare. Sure they are expensive. Sure they can have problems. Do they all? No. Same goes for the optos. If you learn that these are just a different type of switch and they are repairable, they are no problem at all.
- Waiting for paddlewheel ("slows the flow"). I call this opportunity to drink, smoke, kick your opponent. Approximately the same wait time as Cyclone's ferris wheel.
For me, the theme of gambling on any pinball machine bears more investigation...and this one represents it quite nicely.

Yeah, my DMD is starting to outgas which has kept me from selling the machine as I'm such a good guy and don't want to sell somebody a dud. I'll do that poor man's color DMD fix somewhere down the line, but even though I'll probably have to downsize sooner than later ol' Maverick isn't too close to the chopping block.

The paddlewheel ain't so bad but I'm not a big fan. I don't know if that's a DE thing or not, but I think the multiball comes way too easy on both machines I own (this and TFTC) so I made it a little harder to qualify, so the ball doesn't go in there quite as often and it makes in pretty much a non-issue.

1 month later
#106 9 years ago

I was playing my Maverick for the first time in months as I was away from home and had been playing mostly newer Sterns in bars in the meantime - I had never noticed before, and it would make sense since it's one of the last (or the last) DE/Sega machines, but it really feels much like a newer Stern, much more so than other DEs I have played (I own TFTC as well, played Star Wars and WWF too).
The small slingshots, the flipper angle, the pop bumpers... I think it feels almost more like a Stern than it feels like other DEs.

2 months later
#139 9 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

i keep seeing this plastic where the heck does it go?
ebay.com link » Maverick Pinball Plastic Poker Hand

I think it goes on the topper. I'd need to double check at home, I think I have it.

#141 9 years ago

Here's how it looks on mine. Thats how it was when i got it but the holes do seem to match.

1414641171599420533383.jpg1414641171599420533383.jpg

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I just started aggressively pursuing the championship mode, I mean aggressively. I have played over a dozen games at the last few sessions and still only came very close to getting into the championship mode. Part of my strategy I have modified to hopefully obtain it soon. The last session I ignored shooting for points, ignored multiball, and even attempted catching and holding the ball during mode play to let the timer run out so that I am taking less risk at losing the ball. My focus is entirely on advancing poker hands and the start mode skill shot. It's still a difficult objective for me.
I will have to try again today,
it's gnawing at me to get to the championship mode

That's usually how I play too, although I do try to go through the modes even though I still think they're too risky for the reward, except of course the Lauren Belle mode which you have to do very good at to hope for a great game.
I'm not that good at consistently hitting the ramp though, so maybe for someone better than I am it does make sense to pursue the multiball.

My #1 focus is the poker hands. Atomic Boy, I've never been too sure about how many poker hands it takes to get the modes started, are you saying it's less and less each time?

3 weeks later
#223 9 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

switches fixed....paddle wheel seems to slip when weight of ball in it. Ordered new belt. Easy to swap? Looks like paddle wheel lowers under pf.

You could try first to clean it with windex or some other product and then use belt conditioner that you can get at an auto parts store.
I had a Hurricane with a slipping belt and that fixed it.

2 months later
#273 9 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

Hello,
I´m in the club as well here.
My Maverick is in good condition but it has two problems.
1, Firing off the ball. There is no way the ball can make it past the skillshot holes and all the way up and around the ramp. I have installed a new plunger. Doesn´t work. I have tried to have a shy pitch on the playfield by raising the front two leg levelers all the way up and the two back ones all the way down. Every 7th,8th ball that I fire will barely barely make it around. This is annoying. From what I can tell the ball starts to rattle and loses momentum and speed just Before and after the dropholes. I cannot spot the problem though. I am starting to Believe the ball isn´t supposed to be able to go all the way around when fired with full Power... Anyone recognize this problem...? Could the whole shooter lane be offset or tilted ?

I put in a stiffer spring and it works like a charm. I'd need to check what color it is when I get home.

#277 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I hit it off a direct shot, or sometimes an indirect rebound off the edge of the 3 target bank, but from the right LOWER flipper. I find it nearly impossible to hit with the upper right flipper because the ball is usually moving too fast. It's still a very difficult to shot for me, I don't hit it often enough.

When it trickles down from the pop bumpers into the third flippers it's a possible hit, but still pretty hard.
I love Maverick, but far from a perfect game, and this is one of the things that are a little off... I know it was supposed to be a widebody at first and there was supposed to a hole for the ball to go through here instead of a captive ball. Maybe that worked better, but as it is the third flipper doesn't have much use, and that captive ball is way too hard to hit.

#290 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

There are two drop targets, there are I believe 17 in total, 15 are regular style, and two are roll over style for the captive ball. I replaced all mine when I got it and bought new decals. Large drop target games need to be snappy, same with WPT.

By design, there is only supposed to be one black rubber on the rear post of the captive ball. I still find it anything but easy.

I've wrote in this thread about the captive ball before. Again, from the lowers, especially in MB when going for the super, just hold and launch balls towards the left side of the 3 bank. It happens more than you might think.
The problem with the upper shot is that the ball just doesn't come down a nice path down the right orbit guide, like in say STTNG or TZ, it can wobble around, and gets spit out of the pops in a strange way. I have thought about ordering and installing somehow a little mini one way gate like the one used on spiderman for the upper flippers. If possible, it would keep the ball over against the right orbit guide, and make shots more consistent. I'll post back when I get to it and see if I can rig it up.
Either way, across a PF for a captive ball is a hard shot, but keep in mind the code is good, in that for the mode that uses it, and the super, it's possible and comes with a lot of points for doing it.
I still believe this machine has one of the best rulesets in pinball, completely undiscovered, even by many that own it. Many that do own it still really don't understand how many aspects work.

I agree, but that third flipper still seems like an artifact of something that once was more useful, or an afterthought to qualify the game as a 3 flipper game to me. Much more so than, say, TFTC.

1 week later
#307 9 years ago

I was kidding. I'd help you out except that's what I did, I got a couple burnt bulbs back there...

1 week later
#318 9 years ago

Did you do a switch matrix test?
I don't think that the flippers go through the switch matrix, so the flippers could be working and a row/column be out.

6 months later
#427 8 years ago

You have to complete all the modes.

#429 8 years ago

Never could figure out the pattern either... Clearly more than one sometimes gets handed for a completed hand.

#431 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Your winning streak is also increased by one when you win a hand. This value can be increased in several ways, as follows.
Raise/Fold: If you shoot the VUK before completing the drop target bank, you are given a choice to raise or fold. If you raise, then the value of that hand is doubled. If you subsequently win the hand by hitting the flashing drop target bank before discards hits 0, then you score 10M times your current winning streak, and your winning streak is incremented by 2. If you fold, the game re-deals, resets the drop targets, and selects a different hand for you to complete. Note that if you fold, your winning streak count is not affected, and therefore it is advantageous to fold than to lose a hand.
Perfect: If you complete the flashing drop target bank without discarding (that is, without hitting any other drop target), you score a perfect hand, and the score for that hand is tripled. Therefore, if you did not raise, you score 15M times your current winning streak, and increase winning streak by one, and if you did raise, you score 30M times your current winning streak, and increase your winning streak by two.
Close Call: If you complete the flashing drop target bank with only one discard remaining, you get a close call, and the score for that hand is doubled. Therefore, if you did not raise, you score 10M times your current winning streak, and increase winning streak by one, and if you did raise, you score 20M times your current winning streak, and increase your winning streak by two.
more at:
http://pinball.org/rules/maverick.html

Oooooh so that's how it works...
So then you get a to start a mode each time your winning streak hits a multiple of 5? Is that how it goes?
Man I love that game even more now, such clever rules, truly captures the gambling theme.

1 month later
#456 8 years ago

If you're actively looking for something you have to expect to pay a little more. Plus, you're describing an hypothetical machine in great shape.
I'd say more like up to 2500 in this situation. I can't see a maverick going for more than that though.
BTW, still my favorite machine in my collection present and past. A great one player and also fun for multiplayer with the simplicity of the basic goals and moderate ball times.

#461 8 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

To piggyback on the dmd upgrades, I would suggest checking out Ingo's dmd extender board, too.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-savers-from-german-pinball-vids-review/page/2#post-2754480

Yep, second that. Easy to install, cheap, and still unsure about how much more life it helps you squeeze into your DMD but at the price point worth a shot.

11 months later
#582 7 years ago

My 3 year old wouldn't come down in the basement, she seemed scared of something...
I had to ask her a few times and she finally told me she was afraid of the man with the gun.

Now my Maverick doesn't have a translite anymore

7 months later
#660 6 years ago

Sounds like you should replace or clean the belt. I had a hurricane that had a hard time with its wheels too. I cleaned the belt with Windex then used "belt conditioner" which you get at Auto parts stores, and that fixed it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.00
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PhilGreg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all?tu=PhilGreg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.