(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippermatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#269 9 years ago

Hello,

I´m in the club as well here.

My Maverick is in good condition but it has two problems.

1, Firing off the ball. There is no way the ball can make it past the skillshot holes and all the way up and around the ramp. I have installed a new plunger. Doesn´t work. I have tried to have a shy pitch on the playfield by raising the front two leg levelers all the way up and the two back ones all the way down. Every 7th,8th ball that I fire will barely barely make it around. This is annoying. From what I can tell the ball starts to rattle and loses momentum and speed just Before and after the dropholes. I cannot spot the problem though. I am starting to Believe the ball isn´t supposed to be able to go all the way around when fired with full Power... Anyone recognize this problem...? Could the whole shooter lane be offset or tilted ?

2, The Lauren Belle starts to make noices after approx 10 minutes. The gears that drive the belt start to cough, make sudden stops and don´t turn smooth. I have greased the gears, the axel and shafts. I am ruling out a mechanical problem here.. Capacitor, motor ? It runs fine till it starts to get warm after 10minutes.

3, Also have the OPTO problem pre entry to the Lauren Belle. The replacement that was recommended to be installed is there, but it wasn´t done right. It´s only attached on the left side with a plastic strip tightend and tied through a screw hole in the left plastic and hangs loose on the right side. Not sturdy at all. The VUK is located right next to it on the right and when there is action there the VUK will rock the magnet, tilt it down and actually hinder the ball making a clear roll into the Lauren Belle. I want to deal with this last but am thankfull for any tips that would explain how the replacement magnet/opto is supposed to be installed. My feeling is I am not alone with this issue.

Thanks for any support.

Matt in Sweden

1 month later
#327 9 years ago

HI,

I have now to turn to my Maverick friends... I am in dear need of assistance.

After my Maverick has been turned on it runs fine for 4-6 minutes. Then the Lauren Belle paddlewheel starts to go out of sync. It still works but rattles and makes noice that definatley tells me something in the game doesn´t feel well.

Checking the driver belt it goes to the motor. The motor is connected to some gears and wheels that looks like a simple gearbox that runs the belt. The gears and wheels rattle, stops, start and go very uneven. This leads me to think it has to do with the motor... I greased all gears and lubrication points but no help.... Is the motor solid ? Has anyone experienced the similiar problem ? Could it be something else besides the motor further up in the flow such as a bad capacitor or bad solder joints. I wouldn´t want starting off by getting a brand new motor if there is another "common problem" that comes with time that is easily fixed.

As the problem doesn´t start right away but after awhile is, I guess then heat-related.

Bottom line, is there a specific place where I am most likely to find the problem ?

Any input is hightly appreciated.

reg
Matt in Sweden

#333 9 years ago

HI Guys.

I mentioned I had a problem with the motor running the Belle... I have located the problem further up and need your advice now.

The relay before the motor is bad. That is the one making the rattling noise and subsequently let´s uneven power through to the motor. Thus the motor and gears rattle and shake. This happens only in attract mode. In attract mode the motor is supposed to be off. However the relay, weak as it is (due to time probably ?), cannot resist and hold back the voltage but it leaks through..

If i change the relay would that do it or wold there still be a problem higher up in the flow ? If my math is right there is constant voltage to the relay. Why put a relay inbetween and not have the motor CPU controlled and shut power off when the game is in attract mode ? Could the game be putting out higher voltage than the relay can handle ? If so, could there be a bad transistor involved further up ? I have to add also that the DMD goes black when the relay starts rattling.

Thanks for any advice if I´m on the right track.

reg
Matt in Sweden

#335 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I doubt the game putting out too much for the relay. I somewhat doubt the relay is bad based on description, but a bad relay is not out of the question I suppose. IMO more likely that something wrong upstream is turning on the relay, causing the chatter. Disconnect the relay coil and check with a voltmeter.

I have to add also that the problem seems to be heat related.... The game plays fine in the beginning. After anywhere between 8-15 minutes the relay starts going bananas.

Bad solder joint maybe ?

reg
Matt

3 months later
#407 8 years ago

A bit of a problem here with my Maverick. My metall habitrail ramp on the left side is leaning too much outwards to left meaning it is scraping and making ugly scars on the inside sidewall of the cabinett each time I raise the playfield. It is mostly the area of the ramp, topleft of the Lauren Bell. Is this common ? I can bend it carefully inwards by hand and it will go clear by 1/4th of an inch which could hardly be the tolerance engineered for. The game came this way and I haven't played it at all yet since it needs some other fixing.

Before I start tearing every thing apart I wanted to check if you guys have had this problem.

Thanks Matt

#410 8 years ago

My initial thought is that the ramp "wants" to go left but is held by some screw, secured with a locknut. Guessing that over time it gives way and the habitrail wanders off. The problem seams too common for mine to be an exception. Will check.

3 weeks later
#420 8 years ago

Regarding the now Classic opto problem...

I checked mine... I have the upgrade installed by the previous owner... It does NOT work very good.. Apparently the magnet is only ziptied on the leftside through the hole... As soon as the VUK on the right gets into business the magnet moves ever so little but it is still enough to hinder the ball and interupt the Lauren Belle ball count.

Has anyone figured this out yet...? I have yet to fully check thoroughly what is going on but I can almost say that the magnet needs to be secured on also the right side in order to stay put... Is this at all possible and is there room on the right ?

Thanks
Matt

#423 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't understand your question. By magnet, are you referring to the reed switch replacement idea for the opto at the paddle wheel entrance?

Yes, correct.. It is magnetized I understand it ...(?) The ball sticks to it.

4 months later
#476 8 years ago

Can you guys provide some tips how to led the backbox to really stand out. There isn't much variation other than some blue in the bottom right corner and the Maverick letters in red.

I need ideas. Please shoot some pics of your backbox both open and closed to get me going further. I'm stuck and not satisfied...

Thanks
Matt

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Flippermatt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all?tu=Flippermatt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.