(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 38.
#1501 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Considering LEDS for the playfield inserts. For those of you who have LEDS under the inserts what do you use? I am thinking Comet 2SMD clear lenses...but which white would be best? Pics would be awesome too, especially of the white inserts.
Also, any ghosting issues? Thanks!

Yes for sure LEDs in Maverick ,I did all of my last year and looks great ,I used comet LEDs and matched the insert them self

#1502 2 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Yes for sure LEDs in Maverick ,I did all of my last year and looks great ,I used comet LEDs and matched the insert them self

What did you use for white inserts (which white)? Have pics?

#1503 2 years ago

Anyone happen to know how many 555s and how many 47s are needed for just the inserts? Would 50 of each be enough? Are these ok? They aren't non-ghosting.

Screenshot_20211127-171525_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211127-171525_Chrome (resized).jpg

#1504 2 years ago

Anyone happen to know how many 555s and how many 47s are needed for just the inserts? Would 50 of each be enough? Are these ok? They aren't non-ghosting.
[quoted image]

Ya 50 of each should be good ,I don't remember which ones are in my game though but they are comet for sure and the brighter white ones I can take pics when I can

#1505 2 years ago

[quoted image]

Here's some pic not the best pics but it's my iPad lol

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#1506 2 years ago

I have spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to figure out why the lock 2 light is lit solid when the Poker Championship light starts flashing. If you read my previously posted link to my thread you will see all the things I have tried and checked. I am starting to think this may actually just be a bug in the game. Since it is so damn hard to make it to the Poker Championship maybe it goes unnoticed mostly...
So I have a BIG FAVOR to ask. Can somebody pull the glass off their Maverick and keep knocking down the lit drop targets until the Poker Championship light starts flashing. This will happen once you advance through all 5 modes ( I usually just hit the inlane switch every 5 seconds or so during a mode to keep ball search from happening). Once the Poker Championship light starts flashing check to see if your lock 2 light (left orbit) is lit solid (not flashing).
If it does...would you please post or PM me a pic to calm my OCD mind? This is driving me crazy!
Thank you to whoever is willing to help me out!

Here is the issue replicated at 16 minute mark. Not my video. Also this may be the only Maverick video in existence showing the Poker Championship. This guy is a beast!

#1507 2 years ago

Here is the issue replicated at 16 minute mark. Not my video. Also this may be the only Maverick video in existence showing the Poker Championship. This guy is a beast!

Wow! I watched the last few minutes and it was really neat to see the Poker Championship. #goals

#1508 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Wow! I watched the last few minutes and it was really neat to see the Poker Championship. #goals

Yea I have got the Poker Championship a few times and it's great too get that ,I played for a hour and a bit hands get sore lol but great game all around

1 week later
#1509 2 years ago

Looking for a NOS pair of optos for the Lauren Belle entrance on Maverick. I can't find them in stock anywhere (in US). Thanks!

Screenshot_20211208-143658_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211208-143658_Chrome (resized).jpg
#1510 2 years ago

Looking for a NOS pair of optos for the Lauren Belle entrance on Maverick. I can't find them in stock anywhere (in US). Thank

They are on Ebay

#1511 2 years ago

Looking for a NOS pair of optos for the Lauren Belle entrance on Maverick. I can't find them in stock anywhere (in US). Thanks!
[quoted image]

I had issues with the front ones and reflowed solder on them and they worked fine after that.

#1512 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

They are on Ebay

Not anymore...

#1513 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I had issues with the front ones and reflowed solder on them and they worked fine after that.

This is the entrance opto. Which is a mf'n pain in the ass to get to. I reflowed the original optos several times before buying these replacement optos a few years back. Now these are crapping out. If I can't find new ones I will reflow them and cross my fingers.

#1514 2 years ago

This is the entrance opto. Which is a mf'n pain in the ass to get to. I reflowed the original optos several times before buying these replacement optos a few years back. Now these are crapping out. If I can't find new ones I will reflow them and cross my fingers.

Yeah, I tore my down for a shop job..honestly once I started it took like 20 minutes to remove all the wire form and ramps. Just take some pics of the plastics to speed up reassembly. Also reflow solder on everything not just the optos. Lastly if you're handy you can just replace the optos, they're like 2 bucks on mouser.

Infrared emitters: QED123
Infrared detectors: QSD124

#1515 2 years ago

[quoted image]

I think I got my on eBay

#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

I think I got my on eBay

That's where I bought the pair I currently have. They are no longer available on Ebay.

#1517 2 years ago

That's where I bought the pair I currently have. They are no longer available on Ebay.

Wow didn't know that now he should be making more ,they sell

#1518 2 years ago

These sold-out last week. I see he (seller vanwagnd112) sold 103 pairs so you could ask if he was going to make more. In post 853 I show how I used a standard switch to replace the entrance optos.

#1519 2 years ago

I have had a problem for a long time with my flippers where either switch activated all three flippers. I bought a replacement Rottendog board and continued to have the problem. I decided to try to fix my original DE Flipper board. I replaced Q2 (Tip32C), SR1 (IRFZ34N) and Q3 (Tip36C). Now the left flipper & right upper work correctly but the right lower flipper chatters. The upper right flipper does not have an end of stroke switch; is that correct? Any thoughts on other parts I may need to replace or potential fixes.

#1520 2 years ago

[quoted image]

My receiver went out also and I feel your pain trying to find them. I even contacted the seller
On eBay and he stated that the only transistors he can find were from China and they are junk.
Try contacting Automated Services in Milford Ct. The lady that answers the phone ( can’t Remember her name) is great!
Jim

#1521 2 years ago

[quoted image]

I don’t know if this helps but I read in a thread about people converting from opto‘s to a switch?
The only other option is trying to solder new optos to your old board?

I can try to find the thread again if it helps?

#1522 2 years ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

I don’t know if this helps but I read in a thread about people converting from opto‘s to a switch?
The only other option is trying to solder new optos to your old board?
I can try to find the thread again if it helps?

Ignore me - I see both of my great ideas were already posted by faster better contacts!!

#1523 2 years ago

Pulled optos tonight and reflowed solder at every point. Had it on for probably an hour at least afterwards with no issues...hoping that took care of it!

#1524 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I have had a problem for a long time with my flippers where either switch activated all three flippers. I bought a replacement Rottendog board and continued to have the problem. I decided to try to fix my original DE Flipper board. I replaced Q2 (Tip32C), SR1 (IRFZ34N) and Q3 (Tip36C). Now the left flipper & right upper work correctly but the right lower flipper chatters. The upper right flipper does not have an end of stroke switch; is that correct? Any thoughts on other parts I may need to replace or potential fixes.

Flipper chatter is usually caused by the leaf switch behind the flipper button. Some rare times the hold circuit of the coil that's on its way out may also cause it...meter it and check the solder work.

#1525 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Flipper chatter is usually caused by the leaf switch behind the flipper button. Some rare times the hold circuit of the coil that's on its way out may also cause it...meter it and check the solder work.

Thank you.

#1526 2 years ago

I recently bought a basket case Maverick. It is missing the DMD, and the display control board (520-5092-01.)
I want to put a color DMD into it. Will I need the display control board for a color DMD?
Also, any thoughts on what color DMD to get?

1 week later
#1527 2 years ago

Sorry, I don’t know anything about a color DMD. That would be a great addition to the machine.

My Maverick has a problem. The VUK switch isn’t working. The ball sits in the VUK and eventually the game cycles all the solenoids and it pops out.

I guess I’ll resolder the switch connections as a first step.

Then check the diode?

Anything else I should look for?

Thanks!

#1528 2 years ago

Looks like one end of the diode came unsoldered.

#1529 2 years ago

Machine - For Sale
Maverick Archived
Partially restored (almost original) - “Selling my Maverick pinball, very underrated Data East (or first Sega, depends on your POV). Game is in overall pretty good condition. PF is very nice, cab is decent, few scuffs...”
2022-01-31
Lodi, WI
2,800 (OBO)
Archived after: 5 days
Viewed: 1162 times

#1530 2 years ago

NEW Opto Board Pair for Sega Maverick - Parts 520-5102-00 and 520-5103-00 are back up on EBay ebay.com link: itm

#1531 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

NEW Opto Board Pair for Sega Maverick - Parts 520-5102-00 and 520-5103-00 are back up on EBay ebay.com link: itm

I fixed mine but glad to know he is still making them!

#1532 2 years ago

I fixed mine but glad to know he is still making them!

They are a great seller ,it's great he's making them still

#1533 2 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

Great news

#1534 2 years ago

This evening I removed the 4 opto sensors in the Lauren Belle and reflowed solder on them. I don’t think I messed anything up. Hopefully, they will work reliably now. Yesterday, it was not locking a second ball, but seems ok now.

Visually is there a way to look at the optos and tell they are working or aligned properly/improperly?

I didn’t really see any obvious cold solder cracks when I reflowed everything.

#1535 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

This evening I removed the 4 opto sensors in the Lauren Belle and reflowed solder on them. I don’t think I messed anything up. Hopefully, they will work reliably now. Yesterday, it was not locking a second ball, but seems ok now.
Visually is there a way to look at the optos and tell they are working or aligned properly/improperly?
I didn’t really see any obvious cold solder cracks when I reflowed everything.

Most times it's one of the optos, but sometimes it's the connector with the 2 wires. But reflowing solder on all the connections is the right way to go.

#1536 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Most times it's one of the optos, but sometimes it's the connector with the 2 wires. But reflowing solder on all the connections is the right way to go.

Does anyone know what part number the connectors are for the entrance opto? My are soldered to the board

#1537 2 years ago
Quoted from Liftserv:

Does anyone know what part number the connectors are for the entrance opto? My are soldered to the board

There are 2 types...one is the IDC type then there is the Molex type....the molex is the preferred method but you need to get a crimper. The IDC you just use a tool and slam the wire down on the sharp contacts. But if it's working and solders to the board correctly just leave it.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-600-0334-00

you can always cut the connector to the size you need with an exacto kinfe or something similar.

#1538 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

There are 2 types...one is the IDC type then there is the Molex type....the molex is the preferred method but you need to get a crimper. The IDC you just use a tool and slam the wire down on the sharp contacts. But if it's working and solders to the board correctly just leave it.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-600-0334-00
you can always cut the connector to the size you need with an exacto kinfe or something similar.

Thanks for the reply kvan99 , .156 is to big this connection is very small

0155FCEA-0572-4653-8A78-BC9D322C8931 (resized).jpeg0155FCEA-0572-4653-8A78-BC9D322C8931 (resized).jpeg
#1539 2 years ago

Yep. .100 connectors.

#1540 2 years ago

Can someone show me what that opto board would look like with .100 molex connectors?
I think my optos have the original connectors, but I would like to upgrade to molex if it's easy.

#1541 2 years ago

I need a paddle wheel motor, if anyone has a spare they would sell, please pm me.
Thanks!

#1542 2 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I need a paddle wheel motor, if anyone has a spare they would sell, please pm me.
Thanks!

Here you go.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/041-5036-00

3 weeks later
#1543 2 years ago

I'm having some sound issues on my Maverick and it happens intermittently during game play. We've also had the pop bumpers stop. It's kinda like the voltage drops during the game and the sound will re-set with the Lauren Belle steam whistle sounding and the DMD display resetting briefly.

I have the back box open and it looks like the the power supply board is having some low voltages measured at the test points.

5 volt test point = 5.03 volts.
+12 volt test point = +8.25 volts.
-12 volt test point = -12.3 volts.

Any tips for what to dig into first on the power supply board?

Thanks,

Tom

#1544 2 years ago

I removed the power supply circuit board and reflowed all of the solder connections on the pins and headers on the back. I put it back in the machine and the +12 volts is now reading 9.9 volts. The machine plays fine right now with no rebooting of the display and it is fully functional. So that's at least a temporary fix. I'd like to get the 12 volts up, so I'm guessing I need to replace some capacitors, or do I need to look at the bridge rectifiers next?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

#1545 2 years ago

I have a Maverick Pinsound mix I made awhile back…if anyone ever wants it, feel free to ask

#1546 2 years ago
Quoted from Darkstar1234:

I have a Maverick Pinsound mix I made awhile back…if anyone ever wants it, feel free to ask

Darkstar1234, that's kinda neat. I'm not familiar with Pinsound. Were you able to modify the game so that it plays different music, instead of that Clint Black song and Amazing grace?

What's all involved in the modification?

#1547 2 years ago

I bought my Maverick 13 months ago, in BAAAAD shape. Over the last year I have replaced all the plastics, rebuilt everything and cleaned the hell out of it. Today was to be the day I finally get to play it. My last pieces came in yesterday. So today, as I buttoned it up, I was lowering the playfield and the ramp caught the edge of the cabinet.

Sadly, I am now looking for a new ramp. does anyone make them?
68DCF87E-4736-493F-8350-CA94C03969F6 (resized).jpeg68DCF87E-4736-493F-8350-CA94C03969F6 (resized).jpeg

#1548 2 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

I bought my Maverick 13 months ago, in BAAAAD shape. Over the last year I have replaced all the plastics, rebuilt everything and cleaned the hell out of it. Today was to be the day I finally get to play it. My last pieces came in yesterday. So today, as I buttoned it up, I was lowering the playfield and the ramp caught the edge of the cabinet.
[quoted image]

Rats! That's a major bummer. I think they might be out of stock at Marco.

#1549 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Rats! That's a major bummer. I think they might be out of stock at Marco.

Yea, there are a couple used one out there. But that seems to be it.

#1550 2 years ago
Quoted from RandyW:

[quoted image]

Damn man. I'm sorry, that sucks. Don't get too down though it can be replaced!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.