(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,495 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 47 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1697A0C3-BADA-4667-89E5-081C1DD1AE66 (resized).jpeg
0817C455-27E4-4D50-89B6-C371489BB965 (resized).jpeg
2A14A1F6-F706-4A04-88D9-C743B450CCBD (resized).jpeg
F44EC1E3-D346-43A4-9E98-157729B50E1A (resized).jpeg
4CADD574-ABD1-4ED3-9423-2ECEBAC8560F (resized).jpeg
579CE4E2-83BF-4F35-A91D-AE86CDFFCC0A (resized).jpeg
FC3090F7-ABF7-4093-981E-BD485AF9317D (resized).jpeg
maverick flipper harness (resized).png
IMG_20210213_150821_989 (resized).jpg
IMG_1105 (resized).jpg
IMG_1107a (resized).jpg
20201111_211755 (resized).jpg
20201111_212251 (resized).jpg
7AFAB99F-043D-424E-B4D9-70DFD1A518F0 (resized).jpeg
7824712D-4988-475B-BD71-CB66ACE9A2A4 (resized).jpeg
4DD1CE09-5163-4240-911C-D1A1D7E1209F (resized).jpeg

There are 1495 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 30.
#1451 6 months ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

The first thing I'd do is go into the Diagnostics switch test and check all of the switches in Column 8 to make sure they aren't cross-talking (possibly a bad / missing switch diode).

Thank you I will try your suggestions. All three flippers flip with either button.

#1452 6 months ago

I played my Maverick again and the right flipper button causes all 3 flippers to flip, while the left button activates the lower two flippers.

#1453 6 months ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I played my Maverick again and the right flipper button causes all 3 flippers to flip, while the left button activates the lower two flippers.

Have you inspected the flipper board on the inside left of the cabinet for physical damage? Supposedly, you can damage it if you have the playfield tilted at an angle when you raise the playfield.

I’m not suggesting you shotgun replace the flipper board, but just for reference:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5076-00

#1454 6 months ago
Quoted from classicgamefan:

Have you inspected the flipper board on the inside left of the cabinet for physical damage? Supposedly, you can damage it if you have the playfield tilted at an angle when you raise the playfield.
I’m not suggesting you shotgun replace the flipper board, but just for reference:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5076-00

Even if something is wrong with your flipper board, it will still probably be cheaper to get it repaired if you don’t have the skill set to do it yourself, but there’s also a Rottendog replacement available (I’ve never used one) that’s cheaper than the NOS Data East board:
https://www.pinballlife.com/rottendog-data-east-universal-flipper-board.html

I can’t envision how the flipper wiring could just go bad without something obvious (out of place) shorting across or the unlikely scenario where the insulation is damaged on two wires that are touching (possibly hidden in a wire bundle). However, if you want to eliminate the flipper wiring, you should be able to disconnect the flipper button connector from the flipper board and carefully jump across the two pins for either the left or right flipper. Refer to the Maverick manual, but if I recall correctly one of the flipper board diagrams in the manual is incorrect. If only one flipper flips then it’s the wiring. If both flippers flip, then it’s probably the flipper board. If you want to try this, I can look at the manual and tell you which pinoit I think is correct.

1 week later
#1455 5 months ago

I continue to have problems with my flippers:
Press the left flipper button: Left flipper holds, right flipper chatters , sometimes holds, Upper right flipper doesn't move
Press right flipper button, all three flippers hold
When selecting something like raise or fold sometimes the left flipper button chooses correctly and sometimes it is wrong. The right button chooses correctly.

This is what I have done so far. I have used the switch test to check all of the switches. I do not get any extra closures.
I ordered and installed a new Rottendog flipper board in Maverick. I continue to have the same problems.
I reconfigured and installed the new Rottendog board in my Bay Watch. It works correctly.

Please advise any additional suggestions. Thanks

#1456 5 months ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

I continue to have problems with my flippers:
Press the left flipper button: Left flipper holds, right flipper chatters , sometimes holds, Upper right flipper doesn't move
Press right flipper button, all three flippers hold
When selecting something like raise or fold sometimes the left flipper button chooses correctly and sometimes it is wrong. The right button chooses correctly.
This is what I have done so far. I have used the switch test to check all of the switches. I do not get any extra closures.
I ordered and installed a new Rottendog flipper board in Maverick. I continue to have the same problems.
I reconfigured and installed the new Rottendog board in my Bay Watch. It works correctly.
Please advise any additional suggestions. Thanks

Something else you could try is to pull the flipper button connector from the flipper board and jumper across the left flipper enable to ground:

From P. 92 of the manual:

This could help eliminated (or point to) the flipper and EOS switch wiring as the problem source.

maverick flipper harness (resized).png
1 month later
#1457 4 months ago

Does anyone know if anyone makes the decals that goes on the main ramp that says 1,2and 3 on the right side ?

#1458 4 months ago

Or can anyone make them ,or any ideas

#1459 4 months ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Or can anyone make them ,or any ideas

Bump

#1460 4 months ago

Has anyone seen or know where I can get the three decals that goes on the main plastic ramp on the lower right side .
Thanks

1 month later
#1461 86 days ago

Hi everyone purchased this pin and love it but the other day was installing a small scale town mod (no wiring) put it back and I keep getting 4 missing balls after testing switches all the ones on the same matrix are dead.Question is "is my board fried" wires are fine but on my cu board there is a weird look of I guess capacitors that have discolored the green and if so who do I send it to?Im sorry I'm new to the hobby and probably sound like a idiot.I looked for a blown fuse but being switches I didn't see either or is it something stupid thanks guys any help would be great full

#1462 86 days ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Has anyone seen or know where I can get the three decals that goes on the main plastic ramp on the lower right side .
Thanks

I couldn't find these but I used mailbox stickers that are gold and looks better

2 weeks later
#1464 68 days ago
Quoted from Kyleman:

I couldn't find these but I used mailbox stickers that are gold and looks better

Good idea thanks

1 week later
#1465 57 days ago

Just joined the ranks of Maverick pinball owners! Really enjoy this machine. One of the drop targets has broken off, so I ordered a whole new set of targets and decals and hope to get those changed out soon. It'll be my first real foray into pinball repair, so hopefully all goes well. I have some local folks who know what they're doing, so I'm sure I can get them to help oversee the project so I don't mess anything up.

One possible issue I've noticed: I've seen people say that the game will select a random poker hand that you're supposed to complete, but mine always goes in the same order: 3 of a kind, straight, full house, 4 of a kind and then royal flush. I've ordered a manual that hasn't shown up yet and haven't look at one online yet, but I'm guessing this might be something that can be adjusted in the settings?

#1466 57 days ago
Quoted from kevster:

Just joined the ranks of Maverick pinball owners! Really enjoy this machine. One of the drop targets has broken off, so I ordered a whole new set of targets and decals and hope to get those changed out soon. It'll be my first real foray into pinball repair, so hopefully all goes well. I have some local folks who know what they're doing, so I'm sure I can get them to help oversee the project so I don't mess anything up.
One possible issue I've noticed: I've seen people say that the game will select a random poker hand that you're supposed to complete, but mine always goes in the same order: 3 of a kind, straight, full house, 4 of a kind and then royal flush. I've ordered a manual that hasn't shown up yet and haven't look at one online yet, but I'm guessing this might be something that can be adjusted in the settings?

The order of the Poker hands is not random. It is a set order like you stated. Pair of 2s is in there somewhere too.

#1467 56 days ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

The order of the Poker hands is not random. It is a set order like you stated. Pair of 2s is in there somewhere too.

Good to know. Thank you.

2 weeks later
#1468 39 days ago

Hi guys - just found this thread.. I recently finished a Maverick rebuild and have a fully working model now!

#1469 39 days ago

I have 2 data east games. A royal rumble and a maverick. Both work great and both just got a rebuild… Maverick now has an arduino motor to remove the really noisy motor and gearbox for the paddle Wheel.
Both got new power boards. Both instantly developed the dreaded hum from the speakers. For me unbearable…
I tried some of the fixes out there - and I know for the purists a sin. But I installed separate power supplies for the sound card in both today.
I now have 2 silent data east machines. Zero

I strongly recommend adding a separate power supply for the sound card. Night and day difference..

#1470 39 days ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

I have 2 data east games. A royal rumble and a maverick. Both work great and both just got a rebuild… Maverick now has an arduino motor to remove the really noisy motor and gearbox for the paddle Wheel.
Both got new power boards. Both instantly developed the dreaded hum from the speakers. For me unbearable…
I tried some of the fixes out there - and I know for the purists a sin. But I installed separate power supplies for the sound card in both today.
I now have 2 silent data east machines. Zero
I strongly recommend adding a separate power supply for the sound card. Night and day difference..

Can you tell me more about switching out the motor for the paddle Wheel, I have seen people talk about it, but nothing specific. How long does it take to do and what parts specifically are needed and is it a relatively easy swap for a newb like me or does it take legit pinball skills?

#1471 39 days ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Can you tell me more about switching out the motor for the paddle Wheel, I have seen people talk about it, but nothing specific. How long does it take to do and what parts specifically are needed and is it a relatively easy swap for a newb like me or does it take legit pinball skills?

Zero pinball skills… arduino skills and faith in metal drilling. I will take some photos. What is coo. Is you can change the speed with a dial and it is near silent.

It took a few hours.

#1472 39 days ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Zero pinball skills… arduino skills and faith in metal drilling. I will take some photos. What is coo. Is you can change the speed with a dial and it is near silent.
It took a few hours.

Quoted from Gingerbloke:

It took a few hours.

And if you need the arduino code I can happily share… it is pretty simple and a few cables

#1473 39 days ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

And if you need the arduino code I can happily share… it is pretty simple and a few cables

do i need to start googling Arduino, because I have no idea what that is and why I would need a code. But wow if I could make it completely silent like you are suggesting that would be amazing!!!!!! A few hours aint bad, does the whole thing need to be taken apart or are you able to do it with most stuff still intact?

#1474 39 days ago

Some images..
Bridge rectifier and step down Converter - you need both to go from 32v AC to 12V DC
0817C455-27E4-4D50-89B6-C371489BB965 (resized).jpeg

Inside the black box is a arduino mini and a motor driver board. AMD a dial to change the speed…
2A14A1F6-F706-4A04-88D9-C743B450CCBD (resized).jpeg4CADD574-ABD1-4ED3-9423-2ECEBAC8560F (resized).jpeg
Motor is on the original bracket - plastic pulley replaced with a metal one.
579CE4E2-83BF-4F35-A91D-AE86CDFFCC0A (resized).jpegF44EC1E3-D346-43A4-9E98-157729B50E1A (resized).jpegFC3090F7-ABF7-4093-981E-BD485AF9317D (resized).jpeg

#1475 39 days ago

So to change the motor - yes you need to.google!!!

You need 8 components.
1. A DC stepper motor - from 3d printers.
2. A stepper motor driver - this takes 12v and uses it to drive the motor and the controller in the black.box on the bottom of my cabinet
3. An Arduino Mini. This is a small controller that contains the programming to drive the motor - industry standard very robust thing. It runs on 5v and the stepper motor driver luckily also converts 12v to 5v to drive it. Also in the black box. You program it via USB from a laptop - very easy.
4 A rotary dial to control the speed
5. The old maverick motor is 32v AC. We need 12v DC. So you need a bridge rectifier to convert to dc - that's the big thing on the side of the cabinet in.my photos
6. And a step down converter to take this to 12v
7 cable to connect it all that's the small circuit board with a light on the side of the cabinet
8 the right size pulley for the motor
I added a black metal box to hold the Arduino and driver board...

Electric wise - this is very simple... Cost for all components - $100 tops.it looks hard but - if you can screws cables together - not hard at all.
The only complex part is drilling 4 holes in the original bracket for the new motor..

#1476 39 days ago

Couple of movies…
Gameplay - phone close to the Paddelboat - in reality it’s almost inaudible as a hum:

And I quickly did a movie of turning the dial to change the speed - it appears slow but it was flying… too fast to pick up the ball down to snail pace…

#1477 39 days ago

Sorry about the strobing… I am not a filmmaker…

#1478 34 days ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Sorry about the strobing… I am not a filmmaker…

WOW this is amazing but wow also very intimidating. My goal is to copy you here, but im scared and I lack time, but once I get over the fear and my kids start to entertain themselves I am all over this. thank you so much for the in depth pics and info!!!!

#1479 34 days ago
Quoted from Gingerbloke:

Couple of movies…
Gameplay - phone close to the Paddelboat - in reality it’s almost inaudible as a hum:

And I quickly did a movie of turning the dial to change the speed - it appears slow but it was flying… too fast to pick up the ball down to snail pace…

paddle wheel is flying, nice upgrade

#1480 34 days ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

WOW this is amazing but wow also very intimidating. My goal is to copy you here, but im scared and I lack time, but once I get over the fear and my kids start to entertain themselves I am all over this. thank you so much for the in depth pics and info!!!!

Take your time - shout or PM me if you get stuck!

2 weeks later
#1481 16 days ago

I just joined the Maverick fan club. Thanks to Pete, I picked one up at the York show. This is my first DMD machine and so different than my Solid State Stern Flight 2000.

Things seem to be working properly. I need to figure out how multi ball and locking balls is supposed to work inside the paddle wheel ship.

#1482 16 days ago

Looks like a Lauren Belle opto switch needs help! Haha.
Is there a best way to access it? Switch 46 is the bottom one closest to the flippers, right?

1697A0C3-BADA-4667-89E5-081C1DD1AE66 (resized).jpeg
#1483 16 days ago

I took off the #46 opto board on the right side. Man, those boards are small. I reflowed the solder on it and reseated the connector. It seems to be working fine for the moment.
Is there a consensus on different connectors that might work better to hold the pins?

Thanks,
This game is difficult.

#1484 15 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I took off the #46 opto board on the right side. Man, those boards are small. I reflowed the solder on it and reseated the connector. It seems to be working fine for the moment.
Is there a consensus on different connectors that might work better to hold the pins?
Thanks,
This game is difficult.

I have no advice other than to say if it acts up again just replace the pair of optos (transmitter and receiver) and be done with it. Yes...this game is TOUGH!

#1485 15 days ago

The best way to get them out, is with everything taken apart. You need to do it for a DEEP cleaning and waxing anyway, plus to replace all the rubber back there.

They almost always just need to be resoldered..

#1486 15 days ago

Today the game seems to be having sound problems. The sound keeps cutting in and out and sometimes the background music disappears.

Looks like a challenging machine, once I get it working all the way.

#1487 15 days ago

Sorry for all the posts. I reseated the soundboard connectors and that seems to have corrected the sound problems. The sound board was also not fully tightened down in the backbox.

#1488 14 days ago

The display was cutting in and out so I put on a new connector for the 2 wire one that was loose. The connection is tight now and the display isn’t going off any more. Seems fixed for now. The game is definitely getting more fun the more I play it.

#1489 12 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

The display was cutting in and out so I put on a new connector for the 2 wire one that was loose. The connection is tight now and the display isn’t going off any more. Seems fixed for now. The game is definitely getting more fun the more I play it.

Hi Dan - sounds like you have a machine that hasn’t been touched for a long while.

I would recommend spend 20 mins and re-seat all of the connectors in the backbox - just unplug check the connectors and sockets and plug back in - you will probably find a few more bad ones and this will stop you getting frustrated over the next weeks as you play and vibrated the boards!

I also like the game - but damn, it’s hard…

#1490 12 days ago

Thanks Gingerbloke. Between the two of us, my son and I probably played Maverick for 5 hours over the past two days. The machine seems to be playing perfectly as far as we can tell. Balls appear to be locking properly in the Lauren Belle, no switch errors, and the dot matrix display is working flawlessly. We really like the game. It is super challenging and we are slowly improving our skills. The rules are lots of fun and we are even enjoying the music and call outs.

My next project will be to remove the batteries from the board. Is there a consensus for the best approach on this particular Data East/Sega board?

#1491 12 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Thanks Gingerbloke. Between the two of us, my son and I probably played Maverick for 5 hours over the past two days. The machine seems to be playing perfectly as far as we can tell. Balls appear to be locking properly in the Lauren Belle, no switch errors, and the dot matrix display is working flawlessly. We really like the game. It is super challenging and we are slowly improving our skills. The rules are lots of fun and we are even enjoying the music and call outs.
My next project will be to remove the batteries from the board. Is there a consensus for the best approach on this particular Data East/Sega board?

NVRAM is plug and play. No soldering.

#1492 9 days ago

I am really enjoying this machine so far. I haven’t figured out how to get a high score yet. I did notice a few of my higher scoring games involved getting that 20x during the Lauren Belle mode. Any tips? Is it better to focus on winning the poker hands and drop targets, or focus on the modes and getting an extra ball?

#1493 9 days ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I am really enjoying this machine so far. I haven’t figured out how to get a high score yet. I did notice a few of my higher scoring games involved getting that 20x during the Lauren Belle mode. Any tips? Is it better to focus on winning the poker hands and drop targets, or focus on the modes and getting an extra ball?

Getting through the Poker hands is the most important part of the game. Try to shoot into the VUK to raise before collecting your hand. This cuts the hands you have to win in half...almost. If you can do well in Lauren Belle mode you can get a couple extra balls. Always shoot for skill shot 2 on 1st ball of each game. There is a ton of strategy in this game but start with this.

#1494 7 days ago

I had an amazing game for me last night. I somehow earned 2 extra balls and ended up at 1,208,245,110. I was on fire during the Lauren Belle mode and got 7 balls into the paddlewheel using the orbit shots. Super fun. I also had a 4 ball multi-ball and another multi-ball. I don't even think I was attempting to play the poker hands. For at least half of the game I was pretty successful hitting the ramp and orbits and was kinda experiencing flow. haha. Lots of fun. Really cool game.

#1495 2 days ago

Hi everyone, I just got around to start working on my Maverick that was sitting for a long time....I got it mostly working except the paddle wheel motor is not turning....(it was working before disassembly) .I measured the voltage in the connector and got approx 3.5VAC but I get nothing at the motor.....am I doing something wrong, what should look for?

Edit: I discovered some of the high power section is not working....which is weird the flippers, VUK and flashers work but not the pops, paddlewheel, slings or diverter
I looked it up they have the 32v red power wire in common...BR2 is good, found F5 blown, replaced fuse, it immediately blew again.

There are 1495 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 30.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside