(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg

There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 38.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Anyone know about that mystery hole in the clear skinny plastic? Should there be a hex post of some sort there? John do you know?

Didn't I already clarify that for you in another thread?

#102 9 years ago

I didn't think we had verified what exactly goes there and if it connects to anything did we? Sorry for the redundency if so. You think you could take a pic for me if you have time? No big deal if not.

#103 9 years ago

I didn't think we had verified what exactly goes there and if it connects to anything did we? Sorry for the redundency if so. You think you could take a pic for me if you have time? No big deal if not.

Hmm I looked back, and thought for sure it was you, but maybe another person. Anyway, there is a plastic you are missing below that clear one, that runs beside the riverboat to the left. The hole in the top of the clear is used for a hex post that runs down to the PF plastic that is missing, for support I assume.

Lesmanley stated somewhere he has a lot of extra plastics. Maybe look close at the photos on IBPD and see what you are missing, and what can be had. If you get it, I can measure the post height for it so you can order one.

#104 9 years ago

Speaking of which, anyone have an extra topper by chance?

#105 9 years ago

I actually just bought some plastics from les yesterday including the one you mentioned that I am missing...I was actually referring to the missing post. That would be awesome if you could measure it for me whenever you get a chance...thanks!

#106 9 years ago

I was playing my Maverick for the first time in months as I was away from home and had been playing mostly newer Sterns in bars in the meantime - I had never noticed before, and it would make sense since it's one of the last (or the last) DE/Sega machines, but it really feels much like a newer Stern, much more so than other DEs I have played (I own TFTC as well, played Star Wars and WWF too).
The small slingshots, the flipper angle, the pop bumpers... I think it feels almost more like a Stern than it feels like other DEs.

#107 9 years ago

Thankfully, it doesn't have the dreaded third ball automatic MB that most DE's have... I wish someone would change that in a rom update for all of them.

#108 9 years ago

For sale $1700 firm. It's from EABundy and has no errors , display is perfect.

image-761.jpgimage-761.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image-765.jpgimage-765.jpg image-298.jpgimage-298.jpg image-437.jpgimage-437.jpg image-169.jpgimage-169.jpg
#109 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

How are those drops looking? Usually there are a few bad ones. I replaced all of them on mine, but I do that will all games.

#110 9 years ago

Does anyone here hate super laser kicker as much as me? Any other game it would be god sent, but with the best vid mode out there, I actually want to have to relight it as mucch as possible.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Does anyone here hate super laser kicker as much as me? Any other game it would be god sent, but with the best vid mode out there, I actually want to have to relight it as mucch as possible.

I don't mind it...have you ever lost the ball down the middle & had the ball kick back in from the left lane?
Nice...

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

I don't mind it...have you ever lost the ball down the right side & had the ball kick back in from the left lane?
Nice...

What? Down the right outlane, it rolls to the left outlane and initiates the kicker? No, I've never seen that on Mav, but I had it happen a few times on the couple T2's I have had over the years.

#113 9 years ago

6 months ago you could buy the toppers everywhere for like $25-$35, now they are out everywhere grr, I should have grabbed one.

Anyone got an extra they could sell me?

#114 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

What? Down the right outlane, it rolls to the left outlane and initiates the kicker? No, I've never seen that on Mav, but I had it happen a few times on the couple T2's I have had over the years.

I've had F-14 Tomcat do that a couple of times from both the center drain and right outlane.

#115 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I've had F-14 Tomcat do that a couple of times from both the center drain and right outlane.

I have F14, but I can't recall that happening on that machine, or on any other machine with a kicker that I have had (HS, LAH).

#116 9 years ago

Speaking of lane drains, I wish the callout wasn't cut short due to the bonus being collected..."you put me out of the...", or "as soon as you're busted your...". The only callout you won't miss is "Bust"!

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from the4horse:

Speaking of lane drains, I wish the callout wasn't cut short due to the bonus being collected..."you put me out of the...", or "as soon as you're busted your...". The only callout you won't miss is "Bust"!

Yours cuts off? Mine never does. I hear those complete every time.

1 month later
#118 9 years ago

Just joined the club, picked up a project machine yesterday. Currently non-working with decent cabinet, topper, nice playfield.

Current status: won't boot up...I get the steamboat whistle and the GI comes on when the game is powered up, after that nothing, just hum in the speakers. Diagnostic lights on the board show 5v and PIA lit, Blank is not lit.

#119 9 years ago

Does the DMD display show zero points like it's ready to start a game? If it does and no ball pops over into the shooterlane check to make sure there are 4 balls in the ball trough. If there are then maybe you have an issue with ball trough switches.

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

image.jpg 212 KB

image-765.jpg 173 KB

image-761.jpg 269 KB

image-298.jpg 228 KB

image-437.jpg 236 KB

image-169.jpg 217 KB

You still got this Rommy?

#121 9 years ago

I have one. Got some feature inserts out and some cut wires everything works as far as switches goes. Fun game. Feature inserts fixed by reseating mpu plugs all lights are a go.

20141002_153653.jpg20141002_153653.jpg
FB_IMG_1412645961143.jpgFB_IMG_1412645961143.jpg

#122 9 years ago

Does the DMD display show zero points like it's ready to start a game? If it does and no ball pops over into the shooterlane check to make sure there are 4 balls in the ball trough. If there are then maybe you have an issue with ball trough switches.

No nothing on the DMD. Checked on pinball repair site and it looks like if could be an issue with one of the eproms.

#123 9 years ago

I just posted this in another thread, but thought I would here as well, as it really sums up my feelings still for this machine. I am never unhappy playing Mav, never had a ho hum experience with it, and always look forward to coming around to it. There are few games I thoroughly enjoy playing as much as Mav.

I am so happy to have this machine. Everything about it is fun, and I never even find myself getting pissed when I have a bad day at it.

Funny how I got this machine too. There is/was a guy that flipped a lot of machines, got to ones posted on the ads before everyone else, and would usually just flip them for the going rate with little work. Everyone near me in another forum went off on him for this machine, as it was posted for like $400 or something when he picked it up. He noted it was plug and play, someone else bought it, but had issues with the VUK and returned it to the guy, and bitched him out publicly, maybe rightfully so.

I just wanted it. I could care less what he bought it for or if it was fully working, if he overpaid for $5k or got it for $50, I was willing to pay going rate for the condition, did that, took me all of 30 minutes to get the issues worked out, and shopped it to the bare PF after this.

I actually sold it during a purge phase when I had over bought, pretty much talked into it by another pinhead I was discussing my situation with, as he never really played Mav, but was disgusted by the thought of it. I took this advice and sold it to a buddy. Got it there, never worked right, non-stop VUK/Lauren Bell horns, issues with locked balls popping out, some other really strange issues. I told my friend I would buy it back, but he wanted it, so over the course of a few months when I would pop over I tried to work out the issues, but never could. Eventually he was ready to get another machine, and asked if I wanted it back, which I said yes to. Got it home, again, figured out the issues immediately (as if it wasn't happy anywhere else...) and since then my love for this machine has only gone up and up.

It will truly be one of the last few to go if it ever reaches that.

#124 9 years ago

Also, a while back I replaced my worn out shooter with a new NOS one online. Ebay sells these for like $20, which is a no brainer. This is not just the rod, it's the entire assembly, so you have a backup DE housing as well if another machine is in need. Great deal.

BTW - anyone got an extra topper by chance?

#125 9 years ago

Maverick is a pin that I enjoy more every time I play it. I'll go down stairs for 1 game then tell myself ok 1 more game...a dozen games later it's "just 1 more game."

#126 9 years ago

I needed new coin reject button inserts for my Maverick coin door, so I made some that I think fits the theme of the game.

They're sized to fit right in the reject button, about 1.17" x 0.63"

Here is the image file in case anyone else needs some.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4v11BwvP9WoY2ZGRnpOSi03Z1k/view?usp=sharing

Maverick_CoinInserts.jpgMaverick_CoinInserts.jpg

#127 9 years ago

Awesome dude, thanks!

#128 9 years ago

Hi guys. Having issues with the DMD on my Mav.

Voltages check out and I have the updated connector. I flipped the ribbon cable, but the display was pretty much the same. I twisted the cable a little to see if it changed the display and it did, but not much, still garbage on screen.

I recently put a rottendog board in that had the latest game code eprom in it. Could having a lower version of the display rom cause this? Any other thoughts?

Thanks

DSC04130.JPGDSC04130.JPG

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Hi guys. Having issues with the DMD on my Mav.
Voltages check out and I have the updated connector. I flipped the ribbon cable, but the display was pretty much the same. I twisted the cable a little to see if it changed the display and it did, but not much, still garbage on screen.
I recently put a rottendog board in that had the latest game code eprom in it. Could having a lower version of the display rom cause this? Any other thoughts?
Thanks

DSC04130.JPG 219 KB

The display rom and game rom must be the same version or you will have problems.

#131 9 years ago

he display rom and game rom must be the same version or you will have problems.

Thanks, that's what I've read, but wasn't sure if that specific problem would show up as seen in the pic. I'm getting some updated display roms and a new connector from Marcos, so hopefully that will take care of the issue.

Another question for you Maverick owners. Do you have extra, unused connector in your cabinets? Specifically nead the coin door and power switch? I have 4 connectors that are just sitting there unsused and wasn;t sure if that was "normal" or not. Here are some pics...

cab2.jpgcab2.jpgcab1.jpgcab1.jpg

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Another question for you Maverick owners. Do you have extra, unused connector in your cabinets? Specifically nead the coin door and power switch? I have 4 connectors that are just sitting there unsused and wasn;t sure if that was "normal" or not. Here are some pics...

Yep, normal - I have them too. Some are for bill validators, shaker motor (not used in this game)
No worries.

#133 9 years ago

Awesome, thanks for clearing that up Wayout. Was hoping I didn't get an incomplete game.

Can't wait to get mine up and running, want to play it!

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

I flipped the ribbon cable, but the display was pretty much the same. I twisted the cable a little to see if it changed the display and it did, but not much, still garbage on screen.

There are two ribbon cables, the one to the DMD controller, and the small one from the DMD controller to the actual DMD. Have you done this with both?

#135 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Have you done this with both?

No, only did it with the smaller one since from what I've read that is what sends the signal for the dots to the display.
Still, good point and I will try when I get home later. Thanks.

#136 9 years ago

i keep seeing this plastic where the heck does it go?
ebay.com link: Maverick Pinball Plastic Poker Hand

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

ebay.com link » Maverick Pinball Plastic Poker Hand

I've seen that one before too. I've never seen it installed on a Maverick game though.

#138 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I've seen that one before too. I've never seen it installed on a Maverick game though.

I dont see any spots on the pin that have that 4 hole configuration. Was thinking it would be near the shooter lane.

#139 9 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

ebay.com link » Maverick Pinball Plastic Poker Hand

I think it goes on the topper. I'd need to double check at home, I think I have it.

#140 9 years ago

Pretty sure that's just a promo plastic like the sheriff keychain one.

#141 9 years ago

Here's how it looks on mine. Thats how it was when i got it but the holes do seem to match.

1414641171599420533383.jpg1414641171599420533383.jpg

#142 9 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Here's how it looks on mine. Thats how it was when i got it but the holes do seem to match.

1414641171599420533383.jpg 81 KB

Hmmm...interesting. Pretty sure that's not factory, looks pretty good there though. Someone else posted a pic of it attached to one of the habitrails.

#143 9 years ago

The display rom and game rom must be the same version or you will have problems.

Updated the display ROMs, no change in symptoms. The new ribbon cable I got from Marcos was damaged and didn't work at all. I got nothing at all on the screen when I tried to use it.

I reversed the connectors on the cable from the mpu to the display driver board, but that didn't change anything. So my next step is to try a good working, new 14 pin ribbon cable and see where that gets me.

Open to any other thoughts or suggestions too.

#144 9 years ago

I put mine on the left wire ramp where it drops into the inlane.

IMG_1051.JPGIMG_1051.JPG
#145 9 years ago

Glad to see this thread still kicking. One day, one day this rule set will get the appreciation it deserves. You all know now how hard it is getting to the championship, and how much you have to take care in winning hands and not losing, and raising to get modes started faster…. and that’s just to START the modes.

I still think it is one of the best rule sets in pinball. Again, I have around 30 machines, 8 of the top rated 10, a lot of so called A listers, and this rule set is easily one of the best ever done, I'm sure of this. Put that together with the 17 drops, and how they are used - pure genius.

#146 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Glad to see this thread still kicking. One day, one day this rule set will get the appreciation it deserves. You all know now how hard it is getting to the championship, and how much you have to take care in winning hands and not losing, and raising to get modes started faster…. and that’s just to START the modes.
I still think it is one of the best rule sets in pinball. Again, I have around 30 machines, 8 of the top rated 10, a lot of so called A listers, and this rule set is easily one of the best ever done, I'm sure of this. Put that together with the 17 drops, and how they are used - pure genius.

I just started aggressively pursuing the championship mode, I mean aggressively. I have played over a dozen games at the last few sessions and still only came very close to getting into the championship mode. Part of my strategy I have modified to hopefully obtain it soon. The last session I ignored shooting for points, ignored multiball, and even attempted catching and holding the ball during mode play to let the timer run out so that I am taking less risk at losing the ball. My focus is entirely on advancing poker hands and the start mode skill shot. It's still a difficult objective for me.

I will have to try again today,
it's gnawing at me to get to the championship mode

#147 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I just started aggressively pursuing the championship mode, I mean aggressively. I have played over a dozen games at the last few sessions and still only came very close to getting into the championship mode. Part of my strategy I have modified to hopefully obtain it soon. The last session I ignored shooting for points, ignored multiball, and even attempted catching and holding the ball during mode play to let the timer run out so that I am taking less risk at losing the ball. My focus is entirely on advancing poker hands and the start mode skill shot. It's still a difficult objective for me.
I will have to try again today,
it's gnawing at me to get to the championship mode

That's usually how I play too, although I do try to go through the modes even though I still think they're too risky for the reward, except of course the Lauren Belle mode which you have to do very good at to hope for a great game.
I'm not that good at consistently hitting the ramp though, so maybe for someone better than I am it does make sense to pursue the multiball.

My #1 focus is the poker hands. Atomic Boy, I've never been too sure about how many poker hands it takes to get the modes started, are you saying it's less and less each time?

#148 9 years ago

Ahh it takes 4, that's the chips under the mode lights, and this is why you always try to raise and never lose a hand, or fold if you are low on discards, and it's too risky to try to win.

It takes 4 hands won to start, but if you raise for all, this gives you another chip if you win a hand, and thus allows you to start in two hands.

I play all modes, there are 60-100m in each on averge. Also the multi can be huge, always try to get 4 ball and 3x to start, and you are laughing.

#149 9 years ago

In fact guys, just to further the above, the skill shot has NEVER been more important in pinball. As you know, you can start a mode as one of the three options (usually lock ball, start mode, and super pops – not to mention the super skill dropping to the upper flipper to start a whole separate timed min mode – ummmm AWESOME!!), but I bet few you of you realize how important timing is on this.

ALWAYS try to start the mode right away. You have to clear all the skill shot bonuses before a new round will start, and a new shot at a mode start. If you start a mode right away, after it is done, and while you are playing away at winning hands, you lose balls and get extra ones, and work aware at the other skill shots to hopefully cycle back to another attempt at a mode start off the skill, usually two is the most you can get in any game, but given you need 5 modes to start before the poker final, 2 out of 5 free starts is HUGE.

If you don’t get the mode start off the skill for example, be careful in your selections after. If you have say won 3 out of 4 chips from hands, and then lose you ball, and have a skill shot, you don’t want to get the mode start. If you do, you start a mode, and it resets your chips. Might as well shoot for another skill shot to further reduce the three needed to rest those, and go for another win of hands for the 4th chip, then cash the skill shot mode start in later when chips are low.

Not sure if that was too confusing, but you can really reduce your journey to the final by figuring out when to cash the mode start in skill shots and when not to and eliminate another. Missing the skill shot altogether is a big loss once you see how advantageous this is.

Again, genius rules set, Lyman.

#150 9 years ago

Mostly on topic... We printed up a shirt for The Pinball Podcast featuring the paddle wheel from the steamship Lauren Belle! Mentioning Maverick on every show has become a tradition.

$16 shipped in the US, email [email protected] for ordering information. Thanks!

10481439_809896819072459_4665486948115210391_n.jpg10481439_809896819072459_4665486948115210391_n.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.