(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 38.
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I find that I get that shot when I pay LESS attention to it. Happens more often when I am not trying to make it, especially when trying to make it off the upper flipper. I am much more likely to get it off the lower flippers, and more off the lower left flipper. Rebounds off the 3-bank target or a lower flipper shot when the targets around the captive are down happen more often as well.

Agreed! It is darn near impossible when you are trying to aim for it...very often the rebound gets it. I may try 2 thinner sleeves on the posts. I was going to take the one off but the ball rolls out...LOL.

Sirg, glad you are enjoying the game and it is working well for you. I've had a series of relatively minor issues with mine, and when it works 100% it is SO much more fun.

Rules: http://www.pinball.org/rules/maverick.html

Enjoy, my friend!

#1052 4 years ago

Is it just me or does the voice actor on Maverick sound exactly like Todd Tuckey from TNT? “We play till we drop.”

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Agreed! It is darn near impossible when you are trying to aim for it...very often the rebound gets it. I may try 2 thinner sleeves on the posts. I was going to take the one off but the ball rolls out...LOL.
Sirg, glad you are enjoying the game and it is working well for you. I've had a series of relatively minor issues with mine, and when it works 100% it is SO much more fun.
Rules: http://www.pinball.org/rules/maverick.html
Enjoy, my friend!

Actually...only the bottom/lower of the 2 posts should have a rubber post sleeve. I am about 90% sure that is the case anyway...lol.

#1054 4 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Actually...only the bottom/lower of the 2 posts should have a rubber post sleeve. I am about 90% sure that is the case anyway...lol.

I believe that’s correct too. When I replaced the rings there was only a sleeve on the bottom post.

#1055 4 years ago

guys Ive looked at my board and Ive looked at a bunch of pictures of other peoples boards on here and I cant seem to figure out where the dice and the jack plastic pieces go, does anyone have these on theres? attached is the photo and below is the ebay listing:
ebay.com link: Maverick Data East Pinball Machine Original Playfield Plastics Shields Lot Of 10

and then this one i cant figure out either:
ebay.com link: Maverick Pinball Machine Playfield Plastic

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpgs-l1600 (1) (resized).jpg
#1056 4 years ago

The dice go between the 3 drop bank and the bottom pop bumper and jack goes to the left of the ramp. You can see both in this photo. Not sure about the gunman, based on the holes it looks like it would be a ball deflector to keep trapped ball from happening somewhere or a ramp mounted sign... never seen it before.

0D64AE17-3A6A-4026-901E-6F0118C67550 (resized).jpeg0D64AE17-3A6A-4026-901E-6F0118C67550 (resized).jpeg
#1057 4 years ago

Hi Guys
Question

I have a chance to swap my baywatch for a realy Nice shopped
Maverick with led dmd and a new playfield
My misses wsnts to trafe it

So what should do?
Happy wife happy life

#1058 4 years ago

jorro i've had a maverick with a color display, it's way better then the old cherry display. it really increases the value and makes the game look beautiful.

#1059 4 years ago
Quoted from Maveri:

jorro i've had a maverick with a color display, it's way better then the old cherry display. it really increases the value and makes the game look beautiful.

Thanks,
I'm realy torn between the two
Should i swap or not
Seen some Maverick gameplay vids but never played one
Choices
Choices
And the misses

#1060 4 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Thanks,
I'm realy torn between the two
Should i swap or not
Seen some Maverick bameplay vids but never played one
Choices
Choices

I would play if you can...several games. I love Maverick and no other pin gets my heart pounding like it does when I am playing well. So tough and so much fun.

#1061 4 years ago

I would make the swap, Maverick is really a great game and for sure with a color dmd

#1062 4 years ago

Im gonna take the plunge(r)
Driving out tomorrow
Its for my wife mostely, hope she likes this better than baywatch

Added over 5 years ago:

Well she backed out of tbe deal
She said it just didnt feel good
Tried to confince even by saying brown looks better with the furniture then bleu, but that didnt help

Women pfff

#1063 4 years ago

If anyone is looking to join the Maverick club, I just posted a nice fully shopped one for sale!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/84446

#1064 4 years ago

im super new to the pinball game, but I love my maverick even though I have yet to get it 100 percent working.... and of course the wife is going to prefer having Mel Gibson in his prime staring at her rather than Pamela Anderson. Hope you love it.... Im still very confused by the color DMD thing, just saying. Maybe after you get it post some pics.

#1065 4 years ago

new fun issue. the ball lock keeps going off while Im playing. The white plunger underneath the boat will every few minutes randomly go off. The game then things I have a locked ball and will release another ball at the plunger start. Even when the game is over but still turned on that white plunger by the boat will go off. I see that there are 2 sensors on the left and 2 sensors on the right. Which ones need to be replaced when this starts to happen?

20190823_091843 (resized).jpg20190823_091843 (resized).jpg
#1066 4 years ago

Sirgubster9 those optos are a pain in the ass there are actually 3 but when they go bad they usually fail to register. Exact opposite of what you are experiencing. They could just be out of adjustment. Hold an index card in front of all 3 and see if you can see the red beam and make sure it’s lining up with the sensor on the other one...when I say 3 it’s really 6 because there is a sender and receiver. Make sure you have no dust or anything else blocking them. One could be loose and when solenoids go off it might be shaking it enough where it thinks the ball went through. Easily and cheaply rebuilt if you can solder even minimally. Start there.

#1067 4 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Driving out tomorrow

Added today: Well she backed out of tbe deal
Tried to confince even by saying brown looks better with the furniture then bleu, but that didnt help
Women pfff

Well that’s too bad. I haven’t played much BW but Maverick is a Pin I can vouch for as an owner. I thought O would play it a few months and sell it, but I have had it about 2 years now and no interest in selling it at all.

#1068 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

new fun issue. the ball lock keeps going off while Im playing. The white plunger underneath the boat will every few minutes randomly go off. The game then things I have a locked ball and will release another ball at the plunger start. Even when the game is over but still turned on that white plunger by the boat will go off. I see that there are 2 sensors on the left and 2 sensors on the right. Which ones need to be replaced when this starts to happen?[quoted image]

First do the switch tests to determine which switches have the problem. If an opto has a problem, commonly seen are broken wires to the small circuit boards, broken mounts causing LEDs not to line up, and broken led leads themselves. Don't forget to check the wiring under the playfield, as sometimes this is simply a loose connector (there are those with short interconnects under the playfield that can become flaky)

Once you have determined which opto switches are not working correctly, narrow down further to which - the transmitter or receiver side.

The full service bulletin, chock full of troubleshooting info:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/18y27PfCCtbV7EJY8pKf422JMhDEmXI6J/view?usp=sharing

#1069 4 years ago

There are 6!!!! Where the heck are the other 2!? I see two on the left and two on the right. Am I missing something?

#1070 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

There are 6!!!! Where the heck are the other 2!? I see two on the left and two on the right. Am I missing something?

The two "pairs" under the Lauren Belle shell are the lock optos. The third opto pair is further above the playfield, where the ball enters the paddlewheel. This is the "paddlewheel entrance" opto

#1071 4 years ago

ok that makes sense wayout. Now if the ball is randomly locking here and there and shooting me out a ball and making that weird clown laugh that would suggest that its the lock optos and not the entrance optos. So for now I can just focus on the 4 lock optos then right?

Also I did find the part pretty easily for the lock optos sensors transmitter and receiver sold as a set, now if all my attempts to fix and correct fail and I do need to buy this product. Is it the same product for the left and right side?... trans and recieve on one side, trans and reciev on other side?

#1072 4 years ago

All 3 sets of optos are the same Sirg. They each have a transmitter and a receiver which are different from each other but each set is the same.

Question: Is the Lauren Belle whistle going off randomly without a ball going up on to the wheel? If so that would seem to point to the entrance optos and not the ones in the Belle. Run a ball through a few times by hand and observe.

#1073 4 years ago

No whistle. Just a clown type laugh and that weird jester dude on the screen locking up the ball. But I will do my best to get an index card and check out those lights. They are probably just slightly off or loose. Because sometimes everything will be good for a while until I hit the button real hard or slam on the side of the cabinet.

#1074 4 years ago

Sirgubster9 have you gone into the service menu and run the switch test? Try that and hit the side of the cabinet and see what switch is going off.

#1075 4 years ago

So I took off the boat and one of the wires was loose on the right opto board and it wasn't exactly pointed correctly as well. I messed with them all a little bit and now I haven't had any issues yet. I'm assuming over time the bumping will probably move them out of place again but for now I officially have everything working 100 percent. thanks guys! I can now continue on my goal to get that captured ball

#1076 4 years ago

Sirg....awesome. Glad to hear it. Maverick has definitely been my most finicky game, but once you figure stuff out with it, it makes it all worthwhile. Wayout is in the forum a lot and he has a wealth of info on this game. He’s helped me tremendously.

#1077 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

So I took off the boat and one of the wires was loose on the right opto board and it wasn't exactly pointed correctly as well. I messed with them all a little bit and now I haven't had any issues yet. I'm assuming over time the bumping will probably move them out of place again but for now I officially have everything working 100 percent. thanks guys! I can now continue on my goal to get that captured ball

Vibration can move those out of place. Once set up and working, use a small drop of 100 percent silicone clear caulk on the mount and connector, let dry overnight. This will increase the reliability, and is removable in the event that you need to service in the future

#1078 4 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Sirg....awesome. Glad to hear it. Maverick has definitely been my most finicky game, but once you figure stuff out with it, it makes it all worthwhile. Wayout is in the forum a lot and he has a wealth of info on this game. He’s helped me tremendously.

Thanks for the compliment!

#1079 4 years ago

wayout440 thank you for all the help you’ve given me!

#1080 4 years ago

What would folks consider a fair price for a decent example of this game (beyond what the Pinside Market already tells me)? Any good gameplay example vids anyone can point me to (my GoogleFu is not finding much)?

Seems most of the review comments are positive, despite the overall lowish score. Any thoughts from the owners out there? Folks who played it once on location, perhaps?

There's one near me that's at a low price that's been sitting for a while. Trying to understand what the deal is

#1081 4 years ago
Quoted from cjchand:

What would folks consider a fair price for a decent example of this game (beyond what the Pinside Market already tells me)? Any good gameplay example vids anyone can point me to (my GoogleFu is not finding much)?
Seems most of the review comments are positive, despite the overall lowish score. Any thoughts from the owners out there? Folks who played it once on location, perhaps?
There's one near me that's at a low price that's been sitting for a while. Trying to understand what the deal is

Keep in mind this is subjective. Assuming a well played example that is fully working, perhaps cosmetically blemished but not beat up, about $1500.

#1082 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Keep in mind this is subjective. Assuming a well played example that is fully working, perhaps cosmetically blemished but not beat up, about $1500.

I'd buy a $1500 Maverick every day. Unlikely to find one for that price these days though, unless the DMD was bad or was a total warehouse, filthy, basketcase.

#1083 4 years ago

Heh. Typifies the market these days. $1500 is likely the “right” price, but the market has been really hot lately.

I’m only into this hobby a bit over a year, so I have trouble knowing what a fair price is sometimes.

Thanks for the input, folks!

#1084 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'd buy a $1500 Maverick every day. Unlikely to find one for that price these days though, unless the DMD was bad or was a total warehouse, filthy, basketcase.

That's why three are sitting out here on Pinside over $2000 and not selling.

Quoted from cjchand:

Heh. Typifies the market these days. $1500 is likely the “right” price, but the market has been really hot lately.

I don't agree that the market is hot. I'm thinking summer slump, seeing a lot of games not moving.

#1085 4 years ago

Sitting at $2000, not $1500 though. Guaranteed the sellers won’t go as low as $1500.

#1086 4 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Sitting at $2000, not $1500 though. Guaranteed the sellers won’t go as low as $1500.

That's not what I meant. I said an average condition game is around $1500. An above average condition game, will problably sell around $1800-2000. Too far above that and it's probably going to sit for a long time - which they are.

#1087 4 years ago

I paid $1,800 for mine two years ago. I thought I got a pretty good deal despite a few issues. The most expensive being the motor for the paddle wheel. It seems lately that people are trying to price machines higher due to increased popularity of pinball. Those do seem to sit unless they get talked down behind the scenes.

2 weeks later
#1088 4 years ago
Quoted from Murphelman:

joining the club today. It's in a project state and needs some work to bring it to life but I am looking forward to it. Hoping I can lean on you guys for some help as I attempt to get it working (first big project)

[quoted image]

Pretty sure this is the Maverick I just picked up. The tell tale World Series Poker stickers and test switch are a giveaway. It’s passed through a few people’s possession since. It’s still a project....

The dmd has been replaced, flippers are flipping again and it’s not blowing fuses anymore but the cpu seems to be a mess.

Quite a few coils/flashers aren’t working. But once that mess is cleared up it should clean up nicely.

My first modern era pin so I’m trying to wrap my head around things still.

If anyone is interested in the current issues I’ve posted looking for insight in the tech: modern era section.
Edit:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-save-the-lauren-belle-data-east-maverick

I can drop a link if you guys are okay with it. I really want to get it sorted so I can start to shop it and getting looking/playing nice.

#1089 4 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Pretty
If anyone is interested in the current issues I’ve posted looking for insight in the tech: modern era section.
I can drop a link if you guys are okay with it.

Why not just post your question here? I would have seen it already. I have no idea where your post is, so a link would help

#1090 4 years ago

Didn’t want to trample this thread with my broken game.

But here goes

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-save-the-lauren-belle-data-east-maverick

1 week later
#1091 4 years ago

Question for you guys...

How far past the shooter rod gauge/apron does the tip of your plunger go?

I just rebuilt mine with new springs, washers and tip, but it doesn’t come out past the apron. And I don’t get enough action to plunge the ball past the skill shot holes to the ramp. A full plunge gets me just a bit past skill shot hole 3, but rolls back.

I have what I would assume is a stock length rod for this game as it has the yellow DE maverick knob.

Is that intentional, or am I missing something here?

#1092 4 years ago

I’ll check mine later.... it I know a full plunge of mine doesn’t make it all the way up the ramp and around either.

#1093 4 years ago

mine doesnt go past the apron, it sits a little bit back when not engaged. I had to purchase a strong spring. I think they have like black, red, and yellow which are different power settings. I purchased a stronger spring and it wraps around that ramp with ease now.

#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Driving out tomorrow

Added 32 days ago: Well she backed out of tbe deal
Women pfff

I've got both and they're both great games I rekon, could not choose between them. So either way wife goes you have a winner!

Happy wife happy life

Win - Win

#1095 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

mine doesnt go past the apron, it sits a little bit back when not engaged. I had to purchase a strong spring. I think they have like black, red, and yellow which are different power settings. I purchased a stronger spring and it wraps around that ramp with ease now.

my rubber kit came with a green. which color are you using now?

#1096 4 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

Mines has an Orange spring and makes it all the way around. You need a stronger spring. When mine is resting it's behind the apron also standard yellow DE shooter rod also.

#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

Mines has an Orange spring and makes it all the way around. You need a stronger spring. When mine is resting it's behind the apron also standard yellow DE shooter rod also.

Yeah I was thinking of trying the orange. The manual says it’s green but I’d like to be able to hit the ramp/wire from the plunge

Found a tension guide on pinball life

https://www.pinballlife.com/ball-shooter-plunger-inner-spring-orange.html

Spring tension from lowest to highest:
Blue (266-5001-05)
Green (266-5001-04)
Standard (10-148-1)
Orange (266-5001-07)
Purple (266-5001)
Gray/Silver (266-5001-14)
Red (10-148-2)

#1098 4 years ago
Quoted from mad_carl:

I have a red spring, which now Im looking at your tension guide is the strongest one so no wonder it shoots all the way around with ease ha ha. I have the yellow DE poker chip rod as well. Im thinking red is probably over kill, but I do know for a fact that green was too weak (my green may have been weaker cuz it was older of course). I also read on another forum that several people where having trouble with the green spring even though that what was listed in the manual. I probably could downgrade to orange like the other poster, but with the red it doesn't feel unnaturally strong or anything like that. I havent tried the other springs though, maybe if I tried purple or orange it might feel better.

#1099 4 years ago

Well at least now I know that my shooter rod is the correct length.
From my relatively short time in the hobby, I was under the impression that the tip of the rod/rubber is supposed to stick out past the apron a bit, and the ball is supposed to rest on it when ejected.

With the green spring, it definitely feels like a struggle sometimes to hit the #3 hole, and impossible to make it to the ramp, let alone make it around the loop. My game is still technically still a project; the playfield hasn't been shopped yet and I have some cleaning to do, but I got it to a playable state.

Either way, I just made a big ol parts order, and grabbed an orange spring to try out.

#1100 4 years ago

let me know how the orange spring treats you, i might need to drop my spring power down a bit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/22?hl=maveri and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.