(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 38.
#1001 4 years ago

Today was probably one of the best days in my young pinball life (i’m 17 and my pinball buddy 21)! After almost a year i finally fixed my Maverick display driver!! The pinball is looking great with a beautiful dmd mk66 from pinballsp
1AA08F19-405B-4333-BAD5-3DD568241E91 (resized).jpeg1AA08F19-405B-4333-BAD5-3DD568241E91 (resized).jpeg

#1002 4 years ago

First off... Holy crap! How is your display in sweet color! Sonic looks so tight!

Second off I replaced the transistor and no change what so ever. Now it is possible that I replaced it poorly, I'm not very good with a soldering gun, but I feel like it might be something else. The fact that the board had already been repaired at q48 makes me think whoever had this machine before me tried the exact same thing. I was thinking about buying a new computer board but they are like 300 bucks which is a bit pricey, but probably cheaper then someone coming out to fix it actually. Ok so are there other tests that I should be running and does anyone know any video tutorials for those tests? Or should I bit the bullet and buy that new mad dog board or whatever it's called...?

#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

First off... Holy crap! How is your display in sweet color! Sonic looks so tight!
Second off I replaced the transistor and no change what so ever. Now it is possible that I replaced it poorly, I'm not very good with a soldering gun, but I feel like it might be something else. The fact that the board had already been repaired at q48 makes me think whoever had this machine before me tried the exact same thing. I was thinking about buying a new computer board but they are like 300 bucks which is a bit pricey, but probably cheaper then someone coming out to fix it actually. Ok so are there other tests that I should be running and does anyone know any video tutorials for those tests? Or should I bit the bullet and buy that new mad dog board or whatever it's called...?

Remove the balls and go to the active switch test. Do any of the switches in column 8 register when you manually close them? If any register then Q48 is ok. If some register and some don't then there is a wiring problem. If none of the switches register then you still have a transistor / board problem.

#1004 4 years ago

None of them register at all. So transistor or main board problem then?

#1005 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

I replaced the transistor and no change what so ever.

Did you turn the part the same direction as the others? It is best to use the ohm test on the multimeter to make sure you do not have a solder short between the legs.

No, I do not suggest buying a new board. You can have the board repaired for much cheaper.

#1006 4 years ago

I'm pretty sure I installed the transistor going the right way. The plastic head kind of has a design to it and I made sure the one I installed looked the same as the ones behind it. I can try and ohm test though and confirm it was done correctly. My fear is that the previous person was a bit messy and then I was even more messy and I feel like we may have jacked up this area with solder and burn marks and what not. Could this circled area be damaged and therefore be causing the issue?

Also do you know of a place that repairs them? I just assumed I would have to pay for shipping back and forth plus the repair of course which I thought would add of pretty quick, and then if there's a place in socal, its probably pretty pricey. But if you know of a place or a guy or something, definitely let me know.

20190715_141104 (resized).jpg20190715_141104 (resized).jpg
#1007 4 years ago

side note to test that i dont have a solder short between the legs should i just put a prong on each leg and basically compare it to the transistor next to it and make sure they are the same?

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

side note to test that i dont have a solder short between the legs should i just put a prong on each leg and basically compare it to the transistor next to it and make sure they are the same?

Yes, correct.

#1009 4 years ago

and will that damage on the backside of the board cause any issues?

#1010 4 years ago

just confirming... do we know for a fact that its supposed to be a 2n3904? because i feel like it is reading very very differently then the transistors that are next to it... I looked in the manual but it didnt list any transistor numbers.

i did find a pinball repair website that did agree with you that 2n3904 was correct for q48 though, it also said you could use NTE 123AP and so is a 2N4401

on the pinball repair website it also said this:When Replacing Bad Driver Transistors...
ALWAYS check the coil mounted diode too! Often the coil mounted diode will break, causing the driving transitor to fail. If the diode is not replaced also, the driving transistor will fail again and again. This is often overlooked in DataEast/Sega games.

is this something i should be doing for q48 transistor?

#1011 4 years ago

Just installed a color DmD. Wish they'd full colour this baby. Surely they will?

IMG_20190717_212454 (resized).jpgIMG_20190717_212454 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190717_212912 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190717_212912 (resized).jpg
#1012 4 years ago

Looks amazing weed! I feel like post 1001 found a way, looks awesome.

On my fix it front, found a guy that everyone recommends named Jerry to fix my cpu board. I'm gonna send it in and have him do it before I ruin it any further. Thanks so much for all your guys help, and sorry I took up so much of this thread with my crap.

I am going to try and do some tests to make sure it's the board first. I think I saw some other threads about how to do that, so hopefully I can follow those with some success. Thanks again guys!

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

just confirming... do we know for a fact that its supposed to be a 2n3904? because i feel like it is reading very very differently then the transistors that are next to it... I looked in the manual but it didnt list any transistor numbers.
i did find a pinball repair website that did agree with you that 2n3904 was correct for q48 though, it also said you could use NTE 123AP and so is a 2N4401

YES! It is in the written on the schematic in the manual. Even the parts are labeled the same. Confirmed to be a 2N3904 only, even NTE is only a 2N3904. If you changed it already and did not damage any traces, then you have a problem elsewhere.

Quoted from Sirgubster9:

on the pinball repair website it also said this:When Replacing Bad Driver Transistors...
ALWAYS check the coil mounted diode too! Often the coil mounted diode will break, causing the driving transitor to fail. If the diode is not replaced also, the driving transistor will fail again and again. This is often overlooked in DataEast/Sega games.

That has to do with a coil problem. You have a switch matrix problem. Not related.

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

and will that damage on the backside of the board cause any issues?

It looks connected. Since you don't show a picture of the top side of the board, can't tell.

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from Weed_of_Crime:

Just installed a color DmD. Wish they'd full colour this baby. Surely they will?[quoted image][quoted image]

It is just a matter of time. Seems there should be a better color to try in the mean time.

#1016 4 years ago

not related, i was afraid that was going to be the case. thank you

here is the top of the board

and ya post 1001 has a fully colored one right?

11b18dba13918e062e7b29cc22ec84da7cc5659f.jpeg (resized).jpg11b18dba13918e062e7b29cc22ec84da7cc5659f.jpeg (resized).jpgq48 (resized).jpgq48 (resized).jpg
#1017 4 years ago

Sorry can't tell with the part covering the traces.

Try the test on the connectors with jumpers that you had read about.

#1018 4 years ago

It's officially the board. Thanks for all your help guys again. See you on the other side.

And side note seriously post 1001 seems to totally have full color just saying.

#1019 4 years ago

Hey guys, have a question for you. The upper left diverter to the paddle wheel, is it typically always up? Seems like on every shot across the top it gets diverted into the wheel even if it doesn't lock and just gets released. Really slows the game play.

I just need to verify if this is normal or not. I don't want to be looking for a problem that may not exist.

Thanks!

#1020 4 years ago

I've made the screen a gold colour. Much better now. Suits it. Pics don't show it though so can't post it.
Bring on full colour!

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

And side note seriously post 1001 seems to totally have full color just saying.

That is a different display, not a ColorDMD.

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisT:

Hey guys, have a question for you. The upper left diverter to the paddle wheel, is it typically always up? Seems like on every shot across the top it gets diverted into the wheel even if it doesn't lock and just gets released. Really slows the game play.
I just need to verify if this is normal or not. I don't want to be looking for a problem that may not exist.
Thanks!

Check if the diverter is pulling in on coil test. The only time the ball should go into the Lauren Belle entrance is when the lock is lit and the diverter is out. If the diverter is pulled in the ball should orbit completely around the top, except on the occasional weak shot where it might trickle in to the paddlewheel entrance.

#1023 4 years ago

It's a colordmd clown. Bought from colordmd direct.

#1024 4 years ago
Quoted from Weed_of_Crime:

It's a colordmd clown. Bought from colordmd direct.

I was referring to the one that Sirgubster9 talking about in post 1001.

Yes, yours is a ColorDMD and I bet the gold does look much better than that green you had it on.

#1025 4 years ago

Oops sorry! My bad

Yes, gold much better.

#1026 4 years ago

Thanks wayout440. I'll check it out next week. This week I'm getting ready for the California Extreme show in Santa Clara. Lots of pinball play to be had!

#1027 4 years ago

so weeds is a colorDMD, what is post 1001s? Isnt that basically a color version but like full color of what Weed has?

#1028 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

so weeds is a colorDMD, what is post 1001s? Isnt that basically a color version but like full color of what Weed has?

It is not the ColorDMD brand display. Maverick has not been colorized by them. These 2 products are not related to one another.

#1029 4 years ago

Yeah mine is colour in anticipation of them some day colouring it! My screen died. So I kinda had little choice.

1 week later
#1030 4 years ago

Sirgubster9 i didn’t bought a color dmd i bought a dmd mk66 from pinball sp, wich is in full colour

#1031 4 years ago

And even though those sound like pretty much the exact same words they aren't the same thing.... got it.

#1032 4 years ago

You'd reckon if they can colour that they can colour the colordmd too. Wish they would

#1033 4 years ago

I am very happy to report after all this time is that my Maverick is now running at 100%. I finally bit the bullet and bought the replacement motor for the Lauren Belle and couldn’t be more pleased. My blinking display turned out to be a bad wire so the smaller ribbon cable was replaced. Shopping it tonight and still on the fence about some soft warm LEDs. The incandescent look on this machine does it justice so I think I may just LED older the poker chips and arrows on the PF with color and go warm frosted LEDs for everything else....thoughts? I don’t like the kits with too much color for this game.

1 week later
#1034 4 years ago

So just to let everyone know how it turned out. My board had a damaged trace at the q48 transistor. Once the damaged trace was fixed by someone with better soldering skills then me I am 100 percent up and running. Well almost... does anyone have any close up pictures of there Lauren belle assembly? I think my rubber belt fell off. Thanks guys for everyone who attempted to help me through this process.

#1035 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

So just to let everyone know how it turned out. My board had a damaged trace at the q48 transistor. Once the damaged trace was fixed by someone with better soldering skills then me I am 100 percent up and running. Well almost... does anyone have any close up pictures of there Lauren belle assembly? I think my rubber belt fell off. Thanks guys for everyone who attempted to help me through this process.

Glad to hear you got that fixed. I can take a picture of the LB for you when I get home tonight. Basically you should easily be able to see is the belt broke. Doubtful it would fall off unless you were working on it. If it’s broken or stretched, no worries they are cheap. I would order a replacement anyway if you don’t know when it was last changed.

#1036 4 years ago

Here it is...

Keep in mind that there is an optical switch at the entry and 2 in the LB that can be very problematic too. I rebuilt all 3 of them in mine.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1037 4 years ago

Oh ya mine is definitely missing that black rubber belt! Thank you so much. Is that belt easy to install or do I have to take a whole bunch of stuff apart to get to it?

#1038 4 years ago

They are like $4 at Marco and pretty easy to replace, but you will need to take off the plastic and the mounting bracket to get it over and on to the pulley...not bad though.

#1039 4 years ago

Beautiful. I think I already accidentally bought one so hopefully it's as easy as you suggest. Thank you sir.

#1040 4 years ago

Oh hey do you do that work from underneath so lift up the table? Or do you do it from above so just take off the glass?

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Oh hey do you do that work from underneath so lift up the table? Or do you do it from above so just take off the glass?

Unfortunately, a little of both. I would start with the top. Take off what you need to get your fingers in there and then lift the playfield and take the motor bracket off so you can get the belt on.

#1042 4 years ago

I will give it a whirl and post back if I can't figure it out. Thanks.

#1043 4 years ago

Let us know how it goes Sirg

#1044 4 years ago

I am at a loss. I started to take some stuff off, but then I realized I needed to go much much deeper. I feel like no matter what I take off I will have to take off more and more to get to it. Is there something I'm missing here. Any hints or videos of somebody doing this? Attached is my pic from above and below.
20190823_091804 (resized).jpg20190823_091804 (resized).jpg20190823_091843 (resized).jpg20190823_091843 (resized).jpg

#1045 4 years ago

Take the motor mount off...the black bracket that screws into the underside of the playfield. Should allow you to get the belt over and on to the pulley.

#1046 4 years ago

This whole deal??? Is it just the two screws on each side?

20190824_074104 (resized).jpg20190824_074104 (resized).jpg
#1047 4 years ago

Yes! Got it around it. Thank you!

#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

Yes! Got it around it. Thank you!

Glad you got it, bud! Hope you are enjoying your game now!

#1049 4 years ago

I AM ENJOYING MY GAME!!!! this is the first time its been 100 percent and its sooooooo friggen fun!!! I have absolutely no idea what im doing when it comes to the scoring and the rules and the combos and all that, but now that I can raise or fold and the ball can lock and get multi ball... oh oh and I get to play blackjack!!!!! dude its so awesome. I need to figure out how to play so I can someday have a highscore on my own game in my own house, but hopefully thatll happen someday... my real goal is to get that extra trapped ball under the boat, but wow it seems like an impossible shot. thanks a lot guys ill probably be talking to you shortly about my next problem ha ha. thanks!!!

#1050 4 years ago
Quoted from Sirgubster9:

my real goal is to get that extra trapped ball under the boat, but wow it seems like an impossible shot.

I find that I get that shot when I pay LESS attention to it. Happens more often when I am not trying to make it, especially when trying to make it off the upper flipper. I am much more likely to get it off the lower flippers, and more off the lower left flipper. Rebounds off the 3-bank target or a lower flipper shot when the targets around the captive are down happen more often as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.