(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg

There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 38.
#751 6 years ago

Nice! You scored!

Mine has the darker Lauren Belle too.

#752 6 years ago
Quoted from Al:

Interesting, I see the Lauren Belle ship is a different color

Yeah, it looks hand painted, too.

#753 6 years ago

Here's a closer look.

IMG_0376 (resized).jpgIMG_0376 (resized).jpg

#754 6 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Yeah, it looks hand painted, too.

Yea, definitely a hand job. ;p

#755 6 years ago

Anyone notice what's missing in this pic?

Quoted from Allibaster:

Here's a closer look.

#756 6 years ago
Quoted from Al:

Anyone notice what's missing in this pic?

The “E” at the end of LAUREN BELLE

#758 6 years ago

Wow that's an incredible deal!! Very cool to see the pics, it's in great shape!

#759 6 years ago

I was thinking of gameplay, the captive ball isn't there!

Quoted from DiegoWally:

The “E” at the end of LAUREN BELLE

#760 6 years ago
Quoted from Al:

I was thinking of gameplay, the captive ball isn't there!

It’s there. Just somehow out of view?

#761 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

It’s there. Just somehow out of view?

The camera angle is high. I can just make out the bottom edge of the captive ball in the photo. Here's another game from a lower camera angle.

maverick10 (resized).jpgmaverick10 (resized).jpg

#762 6 years ago

Since I did gameblades decided the boat needed smokestacks. Nothing fancy. I did look for pics from the movie to try and duplicate that boats stacks positioning.

5379C54C-47E8-45C5-8BBD-FDE7140FD7B3 (resized).jpeg5379C54C-47E8-45C5-8BBD-FDE7140FD7B3 (resized).jpeg

#763 6 years ago

Cool looking

#764 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

I think we need reference photos of this HUO Maverick!!
I'd upgrade the code to 4.0, but not sure a change log is around anywhere.

curious....the thought just came to my mind if the upgrade to v4 would addess the slower paddle wheel issue...my last effort to speed mine up will be replacing the pulley on the motor with a larger one. I think Mac might have done this...

#765 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

curious....the thought just came to my mind if the upgrade to v4 would addess the slower paddle wheel issue...my last effort to speed mine up will be replacing the pulley on the motor with a larger one. I think Mac might have done this...

Software won't do it. The interface between the motor and CPU is an on/off switch.

#766 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Software won't do it. The interface between the motor and CPU is an on/off switch.

Bummer! It’s really the last thing holding me back from 100% perfect operation.

1 week later
#767 6 years ago

I'm considering upgrading my ROMs from v1.00 to the latest.

How many ROMs do I actually need? It looks like there's one game ROM, two display ROMs, and three sound ROMs. Six total. Is this correct?

Screen Shot 2018-03-23 at 1.00.32 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-23 at 1.00.32 PM (resized).png

#768 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

I'm considering upgrading my ROMs from v1.00 to the latest.
How many ROMs do I actually need? It looks like there's one game ROM, two display ROMs, and three sound ROMs. Six total. Is this correct?

Assuming your display ROM is old, then you just need the game and display roms, so 3. The sound roms aren't different, new ones would be the same as your original. Check your display roms though, if you have display v4.01 then you don't need to update those either.

#769 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

4) In process of installing Wayout's playing card spotlight mod. I found some pretty cool cards that look sort of "antique-like"....okay editing because it’s done!
Hope you're all doing well!
Damagio

Hey Damagio, I took your idea...it looked much better than my original setup. I printed a vintage card on glossy photo stock for a new look...

ace-of-spade-grunge (resized).jpgace-of-spade-grunge (resized).jpg

0325181537 (resized).jpg0325181537 (resized).jpg

#770 6 years ago
Quoted from Al:

Anyone tried mirror blades on Maverick? If so, which ones?

Hi All,

I bought OP's a while back and am readying to sell it unfortunately, just taking pics so I can share some which show off the mirror blades, LEDS, new drop targets etc... She is a beauty!

IMG_20180326_1806089 (resized).jpgIMG_20180326_1806089 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180326_1805586 (resized).jpgIMG_20180326_1805586 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180326_1807199 (resized).jpgIMG_20180326_1807199 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180326_1807299 (resized).jpgIMG_20180326_1807299 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180326_1808176 (resized).jpgIMG_20180326_1808176 (resized).jpg

#771 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Hey Damagio, I took your idea...it looked much better than my original setup. I printed a vintage card on glossy photo stock for a new look...

It looks fantastic! Thanks for the idea, Wayout. It REALLY keeps the beam out of your eyes...LOL.

Damagio

#772 6 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Hi All,
I bought OP's a while back and am readying to sell it unfortunately, just taking pics so I can share some which show off the mirror blades, LEDS, new drop targets etc... She is a beauty!

Really nice looking machine.

#773 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Really nice looking machine.

I can't take credit for the work, all of his pins were 'titties' and we own a few of them. Not difficult to imagine why.

I do hate parting with pins though, sucks.

#774 6 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

I'm IN! Fun machine! - I totally recommend installing a larger pulley on the Lauren Belle, doubles the speed. (Thanks The4Horse)
http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/item/puf0240635064ab/pulleysugrooveplastic/

I need help, guys. This issue is driving me nuts. I have spent hours searching for this pulley online to no avail. The one sourced here is no longer available and I cannot find one anywhere...seemingly. Has anyone else sourced one from another supplier?

Thanks!

#775 6 years ago

Are the bulbs for the red blank poker chip inserts missing intentionally? Is there any reason not to add lights to them?

#776 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Are the bulbs for the red blank poker chip inserts missing intentionally? Is there any reason not to add lights to them?

There are no lamps under the red blank poker chips and there is no reason to add them, though you can do whatever you want.

#777 6 years ago

Been a couple of years now, it’s the only pin I own and still loving Maverick. When firing on all cylinders it’s fun galore, but then there are the inevitable frustrating issues...

I’ve had probs with right lower flipper lately. Sometimes works, sometimes not (more often not)
I had replaced the coil and sleeve, but still was intermittent.
When not functioning, all that happens is a very small reaction/vibration of the plunger, but not anywhere near full blown plunge. The red LED on flipper board comes on when button is pressed, voltage at coil, tried jumping EOS at wires going into EOS, pulled jumper, and tried an alligator clip at tips of EOS to keep gap closed. Still no go.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

#778 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Frankly, I have always thought the topper, well....boring. I jazzed it up with some CT warm white blinker LEDs and a 9 lamp #44 socket bracket found in a scrap parts bin at the Cleveland Pinball Show. Wired to GI with a lamp in every other socket puts a lamp behind each card for a little retro blinker action
» YouTube video

About to get my first Maverick and I would love to light up the topper. I am new to this after buying the topper ( ebay has reprod) would you be able to decript your post to a newbie?

#779 6 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Hi All,

Looks fantastic!

#780 6 years ago

Are there any tricks to remove the paddle wheel? I have a high pitch squeal coming from the paddle wheel shaft as it rotates. It's not the motor. I'd like to remove the wheel to clean the shaft and maybe add some dry silicone lubricant. The noise is really bothersome.

#782 6 years ago

I've been able to track down the reproduction topper on EBay.
The seller has indicated that if two are purchased that he can do $70 USD including shipping. Anyone in the Ontario (GTA) area interested in splitting this purchase? Let me know

#783 6 years ago
Quoted from Stimpy:

About to get my first Maverick and I would love to light up the topper. I am new to this after buying the topper ( ebay has reprod) would you be able to decript your post to a newbie?

This is an easy mod to add to your card topper. I found a 10 socket #44 bulb strip in a parts bin and the spacing was perfect using every other socket, but you could also DIY with individual sockets to get an individual bulb behind each card of the topper plastic.
The sockets are simply wired in parallel,and tapped of the backboard GI (pics below). For an added dramatic effect, I used blinker LEDs bulbs to randomly light different cards. A video link below

0328181544 (resized).jpg0328181544 (resized).jpg

0328181543 (resized).jpg0328181543 (resized).jpg

#784 6 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Been a couple of years now, it’s the only pin I own and still loving Maverick. When firing on all cylinders it’s fun galore, but then there are the inevitable frustrating issues...
I’ve had probs with right lower flipper lately. Sometimes works, sometimes not (more often not)
I had replaced the coil and sleeve, but still was intermittent.
When not functioning, all that happens is a very small reaction/vibration of the plunger, but not anywhere near full blown plunge. The red LED on flipper board comes on when button is pressed, voltage at coil, tried jumping EOS at wires going into EOS, pulled jumper, and tried an alligator clip at tips of EOS to keep gap closed. Still no go.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Wally, sounds like you checked the voltage and it was ok? I like reflowing solder to make sure the connection is good...but sounds like a bad coil.

#785 6 years ago
Quoted from Stimpy:

I've been able to track down the reproduction topper on EBay.
The seller has indicated that if two are purchased that he can do $70 USD including shipping. Anyone in the Ontario (GTA) area interested in splitting this purchase? Let me know

Did you try Steve at Mayfair amusements ?
I bought mine from him (nos)

#786 6 years ago

Thanks Damagio. We’ll see how it goes.

WayOut, great light mod! Want to copy, but my topper has a hairline crack and I think it’ll just make it stand out. Also, good to see your back box top has a good layer of dust too...

30E4F373-BFD7-40F7-A6F7-9187D0FFF5A8 (resized).jpeg30E4F373-BFD7-40F7-A6F7-9187D0FFF5A8 (resized).jpeg

#787 6 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Also, good to see your back box top has a good layer of dust too...

Meh. I've cleaned it up there once or twice. It's an unfinished basement so I get dust.

#788 5 years ago

Is there any way to limit or eliminate this type of ball hang up? It happens every five games or so.

IMG_0771 (resized).jpgIMG_0771 (resized).jpg

#789 5 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Is there any way to limit or eliminate this type of ball hang up? It happens every five games or so.

Raise the drop target bank under the boat. Get it level with the play field. If you look back in this topic thread, you’ll find out how to do it. Think there’s a link to a service announcement from DE/Sega. It’s not a complicated adjustment except for it takes several times adjusting and trying it out to find the sweet spot.

Too low = easier to hit captive ball, but will get stuck and could damage the boat

Too high = tougher to hit captive ball, but will not get stuck

#790 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Has anyone added anything to try and protect the Lauren Belle from air balls?
My ship plastic was cracked and broken at the bottom when I got the game. It's difficult to find a replacement for this plastic, so I was able to repair mine. That being the case, I wanted to try something to mitigate any future risk in it getting damaged. I cut a piece of clear acrylic and mounted it under the ship. Time will tell if it helps protect the ship, but for now it seems to be working.
Just wondering if anyone else did something similar or came up with a better way?

Oh, I also did the service bulletin suggestion and raised the drop targets under the ship so that the ball can't settle in the trough when the targets are down.
http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/Stern%20Service%20Bulletins/sb/sb71.pdf

The link to the service bulletin is in this quote...

#791 5 years ago

Got it. Thanks!

#792 5 years ago

My Lauren Bell wheel stopped working. Traced it back to apparent slop in the gears under the playfield. Where can I get a replacement set or is there an easier fix? If I manually pull the wheel it spins for a bit and then stops. Somewhere the teeth are not lining up. Thanks in advance.

#793 5 years ago
Quoted from Aflacjack:

My Lauren Bell wheel stopped working. Traced it back to apparent slop in the gears under the playfield. Where can I get a replacement set or is there an easier fix? If I manually pull the wheel it spins for a bit and then stops. Somewhere the teeth are not lining up. Thanks in advance.

Think that could mean a new motor. Marco has em.

Flipper fixed and back at it. Now, I’ve got an issue (occasionally) with the weight of the ball slowing the wheel up on the way up, once over the top speed is fine. Have a couple of new belts...Will a belt fix the issue? Hopefully, it’s not new motor time.

Digging the card hiding the glare of the spotlights up top idea. I did that and also placed a couple of Jack Daniel cards on top of the boring empty ramp area. Thinking a toy Cowboy squaring off with an Indian or something could be placed up there, something, anything it’s just barren and doesn’t affect pinball play by covering it up.

7FB58B46-07F2-4400-98C3-BDC27027232D (resized).jpeg7FB58B46-07F2-4400-98C3-BDC27027232D (resized).jpeg

BBF4A2BF-66B7-4743-B934-3509877636B7 (resized).jpegBBF4A2BF-66B7-4743-B934-3509877636B7 (resized).jpeg

#794 5 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Think that could mean a new motor. Marco has em.
Flipper fixed and back at it. Now, I’ve got an issue (occasionally) with the weight of the ball slowing the wheel up on the way up, once over the top speed is fine. Have a couple of new belts...Will a belt fix the issue? Hopefully, it’s not new motor time.
Digging the card hiding the glare of the spotlights up top idea. I did that and also placed a couple of Jack Daniel cards on top of the boring empty ramp area. Thinking a toy Cowboy squaring off with an Indian or something could be placed up there, something, anything it’s just barren and doesn’t affect pinball play by covering it up.

Most likely. A new belt fixed both my old Cyclone and my new Fish Tales reel. New belts with proper tension are important. Make sure to clean the pulley grooves thoroughly with iso alcohol.

Glad you like the card mod, but I'm thinking leave the toys out...overkill. Just my opinion.

1 week later
#795 5 years ago

Anyone in the club interested in moving/selling their maverick? I would coordinate shipping. Also provide pinside references. Looking at a local one next week but just putting the feelers out on pinside! Pm me!

#796 5 years ago

I've got a few NOS plastics in case anyone needs them. And a used metal poster for your game-room!

IMG_20180413_182238 (resized).jpgIMG_20180413_182238 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180413_183444 (resized).jpgIMG_20180413_183444 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180413_182242 (resized).jpgIMG_20180413_182242 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#797 5 years ago

As the search continues for a new larger pulley, my paddle wheel seems to be getting slower and slower. Think I will take it apart and try to clean it if possible and if that doesn't fix it, I will order a new one. I'd just hate for that not to be the problem, but I've replaced the belt, lightly lubed the gears and checked the voltage. It says on Marco's site it is a 6 RPM motor...I am pretty sure that is at the motor, not at the gears or pulley, so I'll test that tonight.

Any other suggestions? I plan on starting a full shop on it, which I should have done as soon as I got it, but you know it stinks not having it up and running for a while. Anyway, I want to take care of everything once and for all. Also going to go with LED's but I will get the warm frosted as I want to keep that Old West Lantern sorta look. I don't want to go crazy with the colors.

#798 5 years ago

ColorDMD X-LED DISPLAY! Limited Pilot Run
We are now accepting orders through our store site: http://shop.colordmd.com Houston Area Arcade (and Pinball) Group - Microsoft Internet Explorer provided b_2018-04-24_08-08-47 (resized).pngHouston Area Arcade (and Pinball) Group - Microsoft Internet Explorer provided b_2018-04-24_08-08-47 (resized).png

#799 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

ColorDMD X-LED DISPLAY! Limited Pilot Run
We are now accepting orders through our store site: http://shop.colordmd.com

Baywatch looks pretty well done. Hopefully, Maverick is on their list to colorize soon.

#800 5 years ago

At least now there is a chance of it getting done.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.