(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg

There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 38.
#651 6 years ago
Quoted from OTRChief:

To make my Maverick brighter besides adding LEDs I added Mustang PinBlades from PinGraffix.

I like that. Has anyone put in mirror blades? Pics?

#652 6 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

The color looks cool. I would like to see a longer demo tho. Putting 400 dollars into this game is challenging as you can not put in another game (unless you own more sega's ) at resell time. The market on these games is pretty tight. That being said I would be interested.

Actually I ship some to maverick owners, so hopefully there will pop up some vids. The color choice is absolutely free to your personal taste, so you're not bound to my color palette!
I ask the guys if they can put vids up since I don't have one myself.

Greetings,
Dom

3 weeks later
#653 6 years ago

New member! Great game!
Question: my lock wheel is making A LOT of noise while spinning. Normal?
What can I do?
Thanks!

#654 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

New member! Great game!
Question: my lock wheel is making A LOT of noise while spinning. Normal?
What can I do?
Thanks!

The motor on this game is pretty noisy to begin with. The first question is "How much above normal is yours"? Can you take a video?

#655 6 years ago

Game has motor and gearbox with oil port.Port hole has felt pad underneath.Try some low vis oil in the oil port first

#656 6 years ago

It was more like a crazy vibration noise made by the motor. I stuck a toothpick between in it and the bracket and now it is barely noticeable. All good!

#657 6 years ago

Question about rules: can we fold hands as much as we want in a game? Like folding every hard hands and only playing easy ones (888, 22, 88822)?

#658 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheese_WizardPQ:

Question about rules: can we fold hands as much as we want in a game? Like folding every hard hands and only playing easy ones (888, 22, 88822)?

Yes you can. Can be a good strategy if you can get to vuk easily/frequently.

#659 6 years ago

Hi guys

My Lauren Bell is weaker everyday. Sometimes it works good (super slow but it takes the ball) but since yesterday, it works On/off. It looks like the ball weight a ton!!

In Laser kick test it just doesn't work.

What should I do? Can I buy another one?

#660 6 years ago

Sounds like you should replace or clean the belt. I had a hurricane that had a hard time with its wheels too. I cleaned the belt with Windex then used "belt conditioner" which you get at Auto parts stores, and that fixed it.

#661 6 years ago

Good call Phil.
I cleaned and rebuilted everything from the motor to the belt. It now work like a charm and I think it spins a little bit faster (from super slow to slow

Thanks!

#662 6 years ago

...and it died again
It played great for 5-10 games.

So my best guess is to order a new motor and hope it will end the problem.
Keep you posted

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/041-5036-00

2 weeks later
#663 6 years ago

Hey

Is this factory for the Lauren Bell motor?
I got the new motor from Marco and want to be sure to keep these "resistance" if so (old motor was working for 2-3 minutes before dying. Already dissassembled and reassembled with no success)

Btw my old motor looks better than the new one. But it's the electric part I really want to double check. If not working, I will have a spare motor to sell

IMG_4307 (resized).JPGIMG_4307 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#664 6 years ago

Just bought a Maverick. Enjoying it so far. What are the best mods available?

Really like to add a light and smoke stacks to Laurel Bell. Anyone have any parts source and detail pics on install?

#665 6 years ago

Welcome to the club! I like adding DMD saver's to my large DMD pins (have in both BW and Maverick), it's like $25 and should save the $500 DMD forever.

I've seen people do smoke stacks and a light inside the Lauren Bell... may be pics further back in this thread? Be careful with that boat plastic, it's unobtainium.

I wish someone did a nice custom inside cabinet side art print for Maverick. Some generics out there, but they don't look great to me.

mbott1701 made sticker image to print for the 2 card targets on the ramp here, and his post has a link to the DMD saver as well https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/8#post-2484900

#666 6 years ago
Quoted from stlmo:

Just bought a Maverick. Enjoying it so far. What are the best mods available?
Really like to add a light and smoke stacks to Laurel Bell. Anyone have any parts source and detail pics on install?

I did a few of those.

For the light inside the Lauren Belle, I put an LED lamp tapped of the GI - but just throwing a light in there looks like crap. I wanted the light to shine through the windows only. I used an Exacto knife to cut all the little windows out, spray painted the inside black, and glued clear plastic sheet from a sheet protector over all the windows. Super pain in the butt.

For the smoke stack, I used heat shrink tubing over a couple of screws through the Lauren Belle in the front smoke stack position. A little cutting at the the top to make them look like the classic smoke stack shape.

When I added LED spotlights, I didn't like the bright lamps shining in my face in the back left corner. They were distracting while playing, so I made a metal shade. I decorated the shade by gluing a playing card over the top of it.

I added graphics to the inside of the backbox using wall border with a gambling theme. It was vinyl self-stick I bought off EBay. Unfortunately, repeated playfield lifting tore it up - so I eventually removed it. If I ever did it again, I'd have to find a way to prevent damage, perhaps clearcoating it. I just haven't tried anything else because my playfield is so tight it scrapes against the sides.

The last mod I did was to find a 5 socket #44 lamp holder in a scrap bin at a show, and mounted that up behind the playing card topper. It is lit by five blinking LEDs attached to the GI, so that the individual cards light up in a random blinking pattern.

a0b6f2b2d722e7a764d8e46075f32d1eb18936e9 (resized).jpga0b6f2b2d722e7a764d8e46075f32d1eb18936e9 (resized).jpg

#667 6 years ago

Same with my Maverick, it's got a tight field against the rails. I like the look of those Mustang blades on a Mav, but no can do here., they'd get ripped. Slapping em up would just waste time and money. Besides modifying the edges of the playfield and maybe have to plane the wood sides, too...a project for another day maybe. Are most Maverick's that snug?

stlmo - welcome! Agreed with mavantix about DMD saver first and foremost. Relocate batteries off board or get that memory chip deal. When you need optos, there's someone on eBay (or was) selling em. I had to replace the ball lock ones and they actually look cool under the Lauren Belle. They're bright red in color, and when I installed I immediately thought, "hmm...Red Light District, what goes on in that little boat?"
Only other mod is LEDs in the mix.
I used green as the "shoot-for-this" color to make it easier for anyone stepping up to play it. After all, the green goes with the money $ and the poker table. Changed some colors in back box and even did a subtle green for Mel's gun.
I've owned for about 1-1/2years now and still lovin it (playing and repairing). Enjoy yours!

No Championship mode for me yet. Best is 3.2 bill and 4 modes completed, but drained while working on the 5th with 4 seconds left.

Question for the club...
After the completion of the 5 modes, does it go straight into Championship Mode? Or do you also need to complete the hidden Draw Poker Mode as well?

#668 6 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Same with my Maverick, it's got a tight field against the rails. I like the look of those Mustang blades on a Mav, but no can do here., they'd get ripped. Slapping em up would just waste time and money. Besides modifying the edges of the playfield and maybe have to plane the wood sides, too...a project for another day maybe. Are most Maverick's that snug?
stlmo - welcome! Agreed with mavantix about DMD saver first and foremost. Relocate batteries off board or get that memory chip deal. When you need optos, there's someone on eBay (or was) selling em. I had to replace the ball lock ones and they actually look cool under the Lauren Belle. They're bright red in color, and when I installed I immediately thought, "hmm...Red Light District, what goes on in that little boat?"
Only other mod is LEDs in the mix.
I used green as the "shoot-for-this" color to make it easier for anyone stepping up to play it. After all, the green goes with the money $ and the poker table. Changed some colors in back box and even did a subtle green for Mel's gun.
I've owned for about 1-1/2years now and still lovin it (playing and repairing). Enjoy yours!
No Championship mode for me yet. Best is 3.2 bill and 4 modes completed, but drained while working on the 5th with 4 seconds left.
Question for the club...
After the completion of the 5 modes, does it go straight into Championship Mode? Or do you also need to complete the hidden Draw Poker Mode as well?

My habittrail doesn't even come close to the side of my cabinet. Also, you do not have to complete drop poker to make it to championship. What a rush the championship is! Only been there 2 or 3 times since I have owned the pin...3 years now.

1 week later
#669 6 years ago

When is the ramp diverter suppose to open in gameplay? I need to adjust/test mine, but I don't know when it should be opening to let the ball through to the left flipper and when it shouldn't. Right now it seems everything comes to the right flipper.

#670 6 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

When is the ramp diverter suppose to open in gameplay? I need to adjust/test mine, but I don't know when it should be opening to let the ball through to the left flipper and when it shouldn't. Right now it seems everything comes to the right flipper.

It opens during runaway stage coach, jackpots in multiball and sometimes at random it seems.

The problem i have found is in the flipper strength. While mine are plenty strong as they are right now, it still takes a real nice shot to that ramp to get through the diverter.
The 4 large dmd Segas have weird flipper strength to begin with, and steep ramps in all 4 pins. Nothing is worse than lame flippers that can't make the ramps in these games.

1 week later
#671 6 years ago

I just got mine Friday!!! I've been pinless since 2014, had some hardships.. Saturday night, I told my girlfriend, I'm gonna go play some Pinball.. Man that felt great to say..

20170721_185139 (resized).jpg20170721_185139 (resized).jpg

20170724_221817 (resized).jpg20170724_221817 (resized).jpg

#672 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrat:

I just got mine Friday!!! I've been pinless since 2014, had some hardships.. Saturday night, I told my girlfriend, I'm gonna go play some Pinball.. Man that felt great to say..

Congrats! You picked a great game, too. What's up with that white DMD? Not that's it's bad or anything....just, unusual. You could use my spotlight mod, too. I'm getting blinded already.

f96f50b69dd18fb65db7e8a9364c6446b78d9e16 (resized).jpgf96f50b69dd18fb65db7e8a9364c6446b78d9e16 (resized).jpg
167e878fe4b693d5bdd4e889cc26862759310950 (resized).jpg167e878fe4b693d5bdd4e889cc26862759310950 (resized).jpg

#673 6 years ago

What's up with that white DMD? Not that's it's bad or anything....just, unusual. You could use my spotlight mod, too. I'm getting blinded already..

It is a color dmd.. It does not photograph very well.. How did you do the spotlight. Is it a peice of sheet metal and a card attached?

01010_khCQNSFwfMg_600x450 (resized).jpg01010_khCQNSFwfMg_600x450 (resized).jpg

#674 6 years ago

Yuk, those spotlight mods look terrible. Maybe not as bad in person?

I simply bent the spotlights in that corner to shine much more downward and it helped, they are annoying.

#675 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballbrat:

What's up with that white DMD? Not that's it's bad or anything....just, unusual. You could use my spotlight mod, too. I'm getting blinded already..
It is a color dmd.. It does not photograph very well.. How did you do the spotlight. Is it a peice of sheet metal and a card attached?

Yes, it's a piece of sheet metal, bent and drilled to use the existing screw on the playfied wall. A playing card glued with epoxy over the top. Works great and looks great, IMO

#676 6 years ago

Hi Guys, just picked up a Maverick.
I've got a lock issue, the first one in the list, is listed as bad in the diagnostic. I don't have the manual yet, can you indicate which one is the corresponding on the playfield ?
I have horizontal lines missing on the dot, sensitive to flex movement, i'm not sure it's fixable, any idea ?

I have already a pin2DMD and three P2.5 64x64. Can i use it directly ??(i can scavenge my pincab for now

Out of that, i just played it 5 minutes, so i'll subscribe here and read a bit more !!

#677 6 years ago

The optos for the locks are under the boat, just remove the white boat plastic to access them. It's common that a loose connection or cold solder joints on the opto board connectors cause them to fail. You can try checking the connection or reflowing solder on the board, or replace the opto boards with new ones (there's a guy on eBay that sells them).

#678 6 years ago

another option to fix the opto' is to just replace the transmitter. You can buy them they Macro. The replacement transmitter is brighter

#679 6 years ago

Hi,

thanks all for your replies.
I managed to have both opto working during test and during play. The diverter blocking balls for lock is now also working properly.
But from time to time, one ball is release during play. I'm suspecting it's linked to opto overreacting to vibration, can it be possible ?
I've seen people putting switchs instead of opto, is it the best way to have a robust play ? any reference of the good one (think it was mention as stern switch) ?

#680 6 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi,
thanks all for your replies.
I managed to have both opto working during test and during play.

Both?....there's three opto switches so make sure to test them all thoroughly. Two under the Lauren Belle and one at the paddlewheel entrance. Actually, not just those but other switches intermittently faulty can cause this type of misbehavior. I had some problems with switches in the shooter lane skillshot area until I replaced them. Theres no reason the game cannot be rock solid with optos, but some choose the mechanical switch as as a workaround.

#681 6 years ago

Ok, i said "both" to refer to the boat's body one.
This issue is not easy then to track, as it's intermittent.
And i guess the machine doesn't give you a clue about why it's launching a new ball.. at least not mine.
i'll try to debug that.
Any advices are warmly welcome

#682 6 years ago

I had that same issue with the one locked ball being released intermittently during game play.

For mine, it was the upper boat lock opto switch that was faulty. The game thought another ball had entered the boat and the second lock wasn't active so it released the first ball.

I replaced the opto switch with one from that guy on eBay and that did the trick.
You could try to reflow the solder on the switch or just replace it.

#683 6 years ago

I'am suspecting this one too, as it was banging on Diagnostic mode, even if i was just touching the wires..

#684 6 years ago

When you reflow the opto connections, replace the transmitter LED with the brightest red visible LED you can find. I cannabalized a camping headlamp for mine. The optos have worked flawlessly ever since.

#685 6 years ago

I agree. Replace the Opto transmitter. The ones I got from Marco were MUCH brighter then the stock ones. You may be just on the edge of the switch operability with the present opto. I would replace the two in the boat first.

1 week later
#686 6 years ago

Hi everyone, just picked up my second pin on Sunday....Maverick! I found one in good shape for a pretty decent price, and wanted a multiball machine with a DMD. This fits the bill and super fun. Only issues I have are the on the Lauren Belle opticals. The entrance wasn't working at all and the two on the LB herself were acting funny. So I took all 3 (or I suppose 6) out and reflowed the solder. The 2 on the LB are working well, still an issue it's the entrance receiver. Shorting the pins causes the switch to register, so, it may be a bad LED. I have ordered new LEDs and transistors to rebuild the boards and will report back. The game is playable but will be perfect once that is fixed. Ordered a reed switch too just in case, but will only use as a last resort.

#687 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Hi everyone, just picked up my second pin on Sunday....Maverick!

Congrats on Mav. You will enjoy this game thoroughly once up to snuff.

#688 6 years ago

Thank you wayout it is a blast. I love the card game aspect...it really is making me a better player. It's crazy how one switch can totally mess up a game...but even crazier is how you figure that out and play around it. . My parts should be here Friday so, I have plans for the weekend.

#689 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

Ordered a reed switch too just in case, but will only use as a last resort.

Just do this! It plugs right into the opto connector. I did this to mine when I owned it. Mounted mine to a piece of clear Lexan and then mounted that to a bolt near the entrance. Took some tweaking to get it right, but it was perfect once I got it into place. Fun game.

#690 6 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Just do this! It plugs right into the opto connector. I did this to mine when I owned it. Mounted mine to a piece of clear Lexan and then mounted that to a bolt near the entrance. Took some tweaking to get it right, but it was perfect once I got it into place. Fun game.

To each his own, but I disagree. No need to hack a different switch...the optos will work perfectly when simply fixed correctly - no "tweaking" necessary.

#691 6 years ago

Buy the optos on eBay if you can't repair them and don't hack up another Maverick with an ugly switch. I replaced mine, completely 100% solid and work every time.

#692 6 years ago

Agree. There is really no reason I shouldn't be able to get it to work properly. The components I ordered are suitable replacements for the originals and they should arrive today or tomorrow. I bought enough to do 6 sets of boards and it was less than $20. Might be cool to get some PCBs made up and make these stronger and more powerful as a side service to the community. I can't imagine the transistors on the receiver being bad...I will test them once I take them out.

This one bad switch really causes some wacky things to happen in the game and seems to be a real issue for almost everyone. Thanks for the Service Bulletin, Wayout...really great info.

#693 6 years ago

The optos are fixed and working flawlessly with the new parts....very happy about that. Unfortunately I am having other issues...the VUK is intermittent and I am getting multiple balls in play every so often when I am not supposed to. Not the happiest camper ATM. Hoping this is not a board issue, but another intermittent switch failure messing things up. I am not too happy because I bought this as a "no-issues" machine. Also see some minor battery damage to the battery tray, but not enough to get into the board. As I am typing...ball stuck in VUK and it will not eject or go into find mode...it puts another ball in play making me think I have a bad trough switch.

Any suggestions?

#694 6 years ago
Quoted from Damagio:

ball stuck in VUK and it will not eject or go into find mode...it puts another ball in play making me think I have a bad trough switch.
Any suggestions?

Thoroughly test VUK ball switch while in switch test, using the ball and not your finger. Put the ball in the VUK kickout about 20 times, if if fails even just once - I'd replace the switch. Check all the trough, shooter lane and skillshot switches the same way.

#695 6 years ago

Thanks Wayout...good advice. So, as I was testing the switch it would work then not work then work again. Looking closely at it, I could see the solder connection on the diode looked cracked...reflowed the solder and it works fine now! I played about 10 games and no issues.

The rebuilt LED opto switch has been working perfect.

Now after I play it for a month or so, I'll do a complete shop on it, add an LED kit, DMD Saver, etc, etc. It's really fun and I don't want to take it out of service just yet.

Thanks for the help!!

switch2 (resized).pngswitch2 (resized).png

#696 6 years ago

I have to say...this machine is making me a MUCH better player. It is really difficult! Although it punishes for mistakes, it is also rewards for success. My aim is very much improved thanks to the drop targets. You are not going to get a "lucky" ramp shot in this game, nor spam anything for easy points...it makes you work non-stop. The right drain is harsh, but the left drain is awesome! I feel very fortunate to have come across this game...it makes me want more pins.

#697 6 years ago

I got addicted to pinball with my first pin, Maverick, less than 2 years ago, now I have 10 pins. Learned a lot doing a shop job on it too. It'll probably never leave my collection, very fun game and I quite like the western poker theme too.

Before buying a kit, test LEDs vs. keeping incandescents in it too, personal taste, but I'm happy I just replaced all the bulbs with new. The incandescent bulbs fit the western theme well.

DMDsaver is a great idea IMHO. Protect the $500 jumbo display all you can.

Also, if you get hum from the speakers, you gotta do this easy fix https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-speaker-noise-ideas-for-a-cure/page/7#post-3867672

#698 6 years ago

After 2-3 hours of Maverick being powered on/played, the Lauren Belle airhorn is audible and the DMD displays the Lauren Belle almost constantly. I've dealt with and installed the lock optos, but not the entrance ones. Since I've owned, about 1 out of 40-50ish times the entrance will fail and let the ball bypass after a successful lock ball skill shot. I'm think solder needs to be re-flowed, but I figure while I'm into it, might as well install new optos. (person on EBay is a godsend). From what I've read it's a cumbersome adventure getting in and out. Please let me know if I'm the right track with this or not. Thanks

#699 6 years ago

Yep that's the entrance optos, and they're not that bad to get to. You need to remove a few plastics and the habitrail to get down to them, but you can do it. I agree, replace them with new from the guy on ebay. Reflow might work, and you can replace the LED on the transmitter, but in my opinion spending an hour or two to get to them out and replace them, it's just worth using $30 new ones that you know will work and you don't have to revisit the issue.

1 week later
#700 6 years ago

My very limited experience with Maverick...on a machine that clearly had very little use...was that the optos are very suspect, and cause a multitude of issues. I would like to say they are an easy rebuild, but it depends on prior repairs. I had to use jumper wires as the solder points had been fried on the connector. When I get some free time I am actually going to have a company make me a few dozen PCB's and make some better, stronger optos. It's so frustrating, but such an easy fix. Stick with it.

Damagio

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
1,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Miller Place, NY
3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.