(Topic ID: 79446)

Maverick fan thread - We play till we drop, winner takes all!

By Atomicboy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20240226_223007_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240226_222930_Drive (resized).jpg
20240222_210202 (resized).jpg
20240216_142231 (resized).jpg
received_339143694324989 (resized).jpeg
received_184363330144675 (resized).jpeg
20200925_185254 (resized).jpg
20200925_185257 (resized).jpg
20210828_201935 (resized).jpg
20200925_185532 (resized).jpg
53415059268_1b22224a28_k (resized).jpg
53414895296_ffe0add29c_k (resized).jpg
53415332005_8a9522bfd1_k (resized).jpg
20231030_163435 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
unnamed (resized).jpg
There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 38.
#451 8 years ago

Sure thing, here's what I have so far...

For the display I used a 1.5" lcd with composite video out.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/83-14397

micro lcdmicro lcd

Raspberry Pi Model B (version 1). Version 1 has composite rca jack video out. The newer version 2 doesn't have an rca jack.

Raspberry Pi B Version 1Raspberry Pi B Version 1

RPiLooper is what loops the video.
http://curioustechnologist.com/post/80836603897/rpilooper-creating-a-seamlessly-looping-video

The video I made using clips from the movie. I ripped scenes that are represented on the playfield and/or game mode.

For the frame I cut out a piece or acrylic to fit on the LCD. The graphic I made in Photoshop, printed on adhesive label paper, then covered with laminate for durability. I also hit is with a little matte spray to tone down he glossiness of the laminate. I used hot glue to adhere the frame.

micro lcd with framemicro lcd with frame

micro lcd backmicro lcd back

Also, thank you to Toyotaboy. I saw how did a similar Raspberry Pi set up in his Freddy pin and he answered some questions I had about it.

test rigtest rig

micro lcdi nstalledmicro lcdi nstalled

I put the Raspberry Pi in the cabinet, to the left of the coin box. For power, I tapped into an unused plug for a printer option. I was able to get +5v for the Rasp Pi and +12v for the LCD display

Installed Raspberry Pi, left of coin boxInstalled Raspberry Pi, left of coin box

Power for the RPi and LCDPower for the RPi and LCD

#452 8 years ago

Really Cool Man. Thanks!

2 weeks later
#453 8 years ago

Just joined the club tonight. Anyone have a decent used right ramp assembly for sale? I can buy new, but figured I'd look used first.

Thanks.

#454 8 years ago

Early teenage 70s pinball fein here. I've never bought a machine and am stoked about what I'm reading here! Have a western bar-pool table-TV room that needs a machine with a western theme...

Looks like I found the place.

A Maverick completely done up right (all the best) with good long life ahead...What would be top dollar you'd pay for this?
Hell, one with mbott's LCD screens (bad ass).

Ready to buy. Researched the going rate here a bit, not quite sure how much more to pay for all being fixed up to the 9s, and thought to ask true fans, since it looks like I'm gonna be one.

#455 8 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Early teenage 70s pinball fein here. I've never bought a machine and am stoked about what I'm reading here! Have a western bar-pool table-TV room that needs a machine with a western theme...
Looks like I found the place.
A Maverick completely done up right (all the best) with good long life ahead...What would be top dollar you'd pay for this?
Hell, one with mbott's LCD screens (bad ass).
Ready to buy. Researched the going rate here a bit, not quite sure how much more to pay for all being fixed up to the 9s, and thought to ask true fans, since it looks like I'm gonna be one.

Not that I would sell mine, but to be completely honest got a nice, but not minty for $1400 only around a couple of years ago. Full LEDs and a couple of mods at this exact time I would value it at $1700. So I would say that for what you are asking $2000 would probably be the ceiling.

#456 8 years ago

If you're actively looking for something you have to expect to pay a little more. Plus, you're describing an hypothetical machine in great shape.
I'd say more like up to 2500 in this situation. I can't see a maverick going for more than that though.
BTW, still my favorite machine in my collection present and past. A great one player and also fun for multiplayer with the simplicity of the basic goals and moderate ball times.

#457 8 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. It's pretty cool that only 2-2.5K will fill the bill for my first, being western themed, and also really seems to be a favorite among some fans that are in the know. I looked at the Catcus Canyon, but that's a steep price for jumping into this.

Last newb question...Is there a list of options/upgrades that are an absolute must in purchasing a Maverick that'll deliver longer life?

Hoping to find one within driving distance. Not sure if it makes much sense to drop 25-30% of the cost just on shipping.

Thanks again

#458 8 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Is there a list of options/upgrades that are an absolute must in purchasing a Maverick that'll deliver longer life?

This is pretty much the only one I can think of: DMD needs an upgrade, the kit can be purchased at a number of suppliers including Marco Specialties and Pinball Life.
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb106.pdf
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/500-6326-00

#459 8 years ago

I just discovered this game at my local Ice Rink (!) and I LOVE it. Lyman Sheats killing it on the code once again!

#460 8 years ago

To piggyback on the dmd upgrades, I would suggest checking out Ingo's dmd extender board, too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-savers-from-german-pinball-vids-review/page/2#post-2754480

#461 8 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

To piggyback on the dmd upgrades, I would suggest checking out Ingo's dmd extender board, too.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dmd-savers-from-german-pinball-vids-review/page/2#post-2754480

Yep, second that. Easy to install, cheap, and still unsure about how much more life it helps you squeeze into your DMD but at the price point worth a shot.

#462 8 years ago

Cornelius, What's the name of the ice rink? Anyone know of a Maverick closer to San Diego?

The word is great around this campfire, but I need to try before I buy.

#463 8 years ago

Performing a cursory review of Maverick pinball with the playfield glass on to take stock of what I'll need to do when I get to this project.

Fairly certain that's mummified remains of a mouse in the vertical up kicker.

20151105_190815.jpg20151105_190815.jpg

#464 8 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Fairly certain that's mummified remains of a mouse in the vertical up kicker.

that's downright creepy

#465 8 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Cornelius, What's the name of the ice rink? Anyone know of a Maverick closer to San Diego?
The word is great around this campfire, but I need to try before I buy.

It's at the Aliso Viejo Ice Rink. Not a bad place to play for a few hours, when the machines are working... they tend to go through phases of working really well, and then not so well. Currently everything is working pretty well. They have Black Hole, Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, Space Shuttle and a turned off Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man. Bring gloves!

#466 8 years ago

I just picked up a Maverick pin. It is more fun than I expected (I like the targets and associated rules). Other than a couple clear plastics and a couple switch adjustments/issues, it looks nice and plays well.

Glad I didn't have any carcasses in my game like PoMC had .

#467 8 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

It's at the Aliso Viejo Ice Rink. Not a bad place to play for a few hours, when the machines are working... they tend to go through phases of working really well, and then not so well. Currently everything is working pretty well. They have Black Hole, Addams Family, Gilligan's Island, Space Shuttle and a turned off Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man. Bring gloves!

Thanks! Just got the Pinball Map App. Looks like PAC Man is out and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein is in. All sounds like working well.

Been Jonesin to try Maverick since reading this thread.

It's a 106 miles to pinball, we've got quarters, it's a sunny 75 degrees outside and we're wearing mittens...hit it.

#468 8 years ago

Paid $2000 for mine in 2014 with a brand new DMD and 90 day warranty delivered to my house. Best money I ever spent.

#469 8 years ago

Widebody Maverick! In digital form but still pretty awesome. Anyone know anything about this? It is obviously a work in progress. There is some out of place music and sound effects and different (possibly original) callouts.

#470 8 years ago

Got to play Maverick for first time last night. I'm in. Definite fan now. Targets galore! Only bummer was plunger shot (hole #1) not sending ball to lock. Machine couldn't find, I forget the funny quoted during each time trying to locate, and when found, ball would get shot up upper flipper area. Anyone got a estimate cost on fixing something like this?
You can see your breath in that ice arena, damn cold, especially in that corner where the machines are. Hopefully preserving em

#471 8 years ago
Quoted from DiegoWally:

Got to play Maverick for first time last night. I'm in. Definite fan now. Targets galore! Only bummer was plunger shot (hole #1) not sending ball to lock. Machine couldn't find, I forget the funny quoted during each time trying to locate, and when found, ball would get shot up upper flipper area. Anyone got a estimate cost on fixing something like this?
You can see your breath in that ice arena, damn cold, especially in that corner where the machines are. Hopefully preserving em

Mine had the same problem at one time. Just a broken switch under skill shot 1 hole. Easy fix.

#472 8 years ago

Couple questions as a recent Maverick owner... What does the Indian say when you drop the ball in Start Mode? It sounds like something a "google a doogle"!? Also, any thoughts on fixing my main ramp... it's sagged just enough to the right that the ball can get caught on the 4th drop hole if it doesn't have enough speed to make it up to the top. Should I replace the plastic or can I heat it just enough to get it to angle back left properly? Maybe a video would better explain what's going wrong if I'm the only one having the issue. Thanks!

#473 8 years ago

Picked up a Maverick recently, in really great shape. I've got all new drops in for it and going to replace the optos on Lauren Belle and ball locks since those are a little spotty. Also bought Ingo's DMD saver for the big, expensive DMD. Looking forward to digging in more on this game.

#474 8 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Also, any thoughts on fixing my main ramp... it's sagged just enough to the right that the ball can get caught on the 4th drop hole if it doesn't have enough speed to make it up to the top. Should I replace the plastic or can I heat it just enough to get it to angle back left properly? Maybe a video would better explain what's going wrong if I'm the only one having the issue. Thanks!

You are not the only one with this issue. For lack of a best way to fix, such as a new ramp - my temporary solution to this was to build up a small hump using some foil tape right at the spot where the ball would normally stick. It works for now.

#475 8 years ago

Welcome to the club new members! Have fun working on and playing your Mavericks!

Quoted from The_Director:

lso bought Ingo's DMD saver for the big, expensive DMD

Nice!

#476 8 years ago

Can you guys provide some tips how to led the backbox to really stand out. There isn't much variation other than some blue in the bottom right corner and the Maverick letters in red.

I need ideas. Please shoot some pics of your backbox both open and closed to get me going further. I'm stuck and not satisfied...

Thanks
Matt

#477 8 years ago
Quoted from Flippermatt:

Can you guys provide some tips how to led the backbox to really stand out. There isn't much variation other than some blue in the bottom right corner and the Maverick letters in red.
I need ideas. Please shot some pics of your backbox both open and closed to get me going further. I'm stuck and not satisfied...
Thanks
Matt

Maverick translight image is a photo collage and does not work well with colorized bulbs at all, best bet is plain warm white. I think it looks great that way and really pops.

1 week later
#478 8 years ago

I have a Maverick up for sale if anyone is interested:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-maverick-data-east-1994-1996

Thanks, Eric

#479 8 years ago

Yesterday I replaced the batteries behind the back glass to move them away from the pcb behind there, so obviously all the settings reset on the machine. The one thing i can't figure out though is that after a game it always used to say "It's gonna be a real pleasure playing with you again" but now it just simply says "Bye". I've looked through the manual multiple times and I can't seem to find anything pertaining to what is said at the end of a game. I was wondering if anyone here had any insight on this.

Kurt

#480 8 years ago
Quoted from gehmann:

Yesterday I replaced the batteries behind the back glass to move them away from the pcb behind there, so obviously all the settings reset on the machine. The one thing i can't figure out though is that after a game it always used to say "It's gonna be a real pleasure playing with you again" but now it just simply says "Bye". I've looked through the manual multiple times and I can't seem to find anything pertaining to what is said at the end of a game. I was wondering if anyone here had any insight on this.
Kurt

Mine just says "Bye"

#481 8 years ago

I'm hoping to get some help from a Maverick owner. My paddleboat wheel isn't moving and the balls get stuck up there and the game is essentially over at that point.

here is my thread with some pics:https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-the-movie-help-no-paddlewheel-movement

Has anyone here done a mickey mouse job to get that pulled connected? Or can someone steer me in a good direction for a replacement? I would love to play TODAY!!!

#482 8 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

I'm hoping to get some help from a Maverick owner. My paddleboat wheel isn't moving and the balls get stuck up there and the game is essentially over at that point.
here is my thread with some pics:https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-the-movie-help-no-paddlewheel-movement
Has anyone here done a mickey mouse job to get that pulled connected? Or can someone steer me in a good direction for a replacement? I would love to play TODAY!!!

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5513-00

#483 8 years ago

So I guess I'm not playing today, dammit.

thanks I will order a couple

1 week later
#484 8 years ago

Can anyone tell me what type of rivet (part number if possible) and tool(s) I need to attach the topper to the L brackets?

#485 8 years ago

Just got a Maverick and am trying to fix her up. I have a broken coil wire that connects to the paddle wheel motor. I'm hoping and I can just repair the broken wire - it sounds possible based on a bit of googling similar issues. Can someone please take a pic of the coil or let me know if there are one or two wires coming out of it - I only see one red coil wire sticking out as of now. Here's a pic of the connector wire that it must attach to. broken coil wire.jpgbroken coil wire.jpg Thanks!

#486 8 years ago

I´m not in the club anymore but I´ve owned one for about a year and I´m still a big fan of it. Probably the most underrated machine out there, the ruleset is just fantastic.

It also stands out to me as the best unrestored 90s pin I was able to find in terms of condition. Mine looked literally like new, like it was fresh off the assembly line. Great find, great game, great fun.

1 week later
#487 8 years ago
Quoted from muzikman:

Just got a Maverick and am trying to fix her up. I have a broken coil wire that connects to the paddle wheel motor. I'm hoping and I can just repair the broken wire - it sounds possible based on a bit of googling similar issues. Can someone please take a pic of the coil or let me know if there are one or two wires coming out of it - I only see one red coil wire sticking out as of now. Here's a pic of the connector wire that it must attach to. Thanks!

There's always two wires on every coil...you have to have a circuit, a path, for the electricity to flow. The wire with neon lamp goes to one side of the motor. In fact, the very fine wire looks to be part of the motor coil that was ripped away. The other wht/red wire goes to 28VAC power. The motor should have a solid white wire coming off the other terminal that goes back to the other leg of 28VAC power (diagram below)

wheel_(resized).jpgwheel_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#488 8 years ago

Hey guys

could somebody provide me a picture (or more than one) of the ball deflector just before the Lauren Bell wheel? Mine is missing and I would like to know how it looks to rebuild it...

Thanks in advance

T

1 week later
#489 8 years ago
Quoted from gehmann:

Kurt

Same thing happened to me. I do believe it has something to do with the high scores. Possibly needing 1st place to get "gonna be a real pleasure playing you again ".

#490 8 years ago

Look real closely at the board on the right side of the batteries. It looks nasty. I bought this pin from a retail store with a tech that works for like 3 of the biggest pin retailers in the area. Been in the business a long time. Is this previous acid damage? New acid damage is white and fuzzy right? Does it look like it has been cleaned up already if it was/is acid damage? I have had my machine lose its settings a couple times in the last couple months and it never has before. Batteries were just over a year old and I replaced them today. Hoping I have no more issues. Could the batteries go bad in a year? They were energizer.

20160115_172218_(resized).jpg20160115_172218_(resized).jpg

#491 8 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Is this previous acid damage? Hoping I have no more issues. Could the batteries go bad in a year? They were energizer.

First, get those batteries off the board. Now. Even new alkaline batteries can leak prematurely (quality defects, been on shelf too long etc.) Get an NVRAM, memory capacitor or off-board battery holder. Keep alkaline batteries off CPU boards, period.

As to the damage done...yes, it is certainly *old* acid damage. I zoomed in at those components, and they have significant damage, those diodes to the right and the cap as well. The problem is, when you go to clean acid damage that has spread beyond the battery holder is that you are already too late. If you can see it on component legs, there is a strong possibility it has migrated INTO the component bodies. It will keep on munching away at them after cleaning externally. The only way to correct it is to replace the components. You might also have corrosion on those battery terminals causing some resistance that is showing up as an intermittent ability to hold settings/data.

If it were my game, I'd seriously consider replacing that group of components that look the worst, get the batteries off the board, and then see how that goes.

#492 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballTiger225:

Can anyone tell me what type of rivet (part number if possible) and tool(s) I need to attach the topper to the L brackets?

I just used small bolts with nuts on the backend. No need to rivet it.

#493 8 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

First, get those batteries off the board. Now. Even new alkaline batteries can leak prematurely (quality defects, been on shelf too long etc.) Get an NVRAM, memory capacitor or off-board battery holder. Keep alkaline batteries off CPU boards, period.
As to the damage done...yes, it is certainly *old* acid damage. I zoomed in at those components, and they have significant damage, those diodes to the right and the cap as well. The problem is, when you go to clean acid damage that has spread beyond the battery holder is that you are already too late. If you can see it on component legs, there is a strong possibility it has migrated INTO the component bodies. It will keep on munching away at them after cleaning externally. The only way to correct it is to replace the components. You might also have corrosion on those battery terminals causing some resistance that is showing up as an intermittent ability to hold settings/data.
If it were my game, I'd seriously consider replacing that group of components that look the worst, get the batteries off the board, and then see how that goes.

Thanks for all the great info!

2 weeks later
#494 8 years ago

Does anyone sell the skill shot decals for the ramp? The black 1,2,3 #s for the holes?

Bought a new ramp and will need to buy or make those decals.

4 weeks later
#495 8 years ago

I'm IN! Fun machine! - I totally recommend installing a larger pulley on the Lauren Belle, doubles the speed. (Thanks The4Horse)

http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/item/puf0240635064ab/pulleysugrooveplastic/

IMG_0658_(resized).JPGIMG_0658_(resized).JPG

IMG_0661_(resized).JPGIMG_0661_(resized).JPG

IMG_0627_(resized).JPGIMG_0627_(resized).JPG

#496 8 years ago
Quoted from Harvs:

I'm IN! Fun machine! - I totally recommend installing a larger pulley on the Lauren Belle, doubles the speed. (Thanks The4Horse)
http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/item/puf0240635064ab/pulleysugrooveplastic/

IMG_0658_(resized).JPGIMG_0661_(resized).JPGIMG_0627_(resized).JPG

Can you make a short video of the Lauren Belle so we can see how fast it is?

#497 8 years ago

Can't attach a vid. PM me and I can email it.

2 weeks later
#498 8 years ago

I had a Mav delivered a couple of weeks ago.

Few questions...

1) When the lit chip drop target bank is all hit and completed, the call out is correct for the next bank and the correct chip lights up in front of it, but on the DMD it always displays the "Shoot the Pair" and not the correct bank. I've seen vids of other Mavs and know the DMD should also be displaying the bank that has been called out and lit up. Any thoughts on a fix?

2) When shooting into the #1 LockBall hole (when lit), should the ball be launched up into the Lauren Belle 100% of the time? Or is it a random launch and "LockBall" only guarantees "Lock Lit"? If so, am I looking at skill shot launch assembly or what?

3) Would like the knocker to be louder. I noticed it's plastic plunger hitting the metal plate. Any thoughts on swapping the plastic plunger out for a metal one?

Don't know if this helps, but this all Data East. Does not state Sega anywhere.

#499 8 years ago

Is there any way to get knocker to fire for extra balls? Or is it just replays and high scores?

#500 8 years ago

As far as your #2, it should be locking the ball on the first skill shot hole. At least that's been my experience with my machine. If the ball isn't locking, then you might have an issue with your Lauren Belle optos.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,856 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, PA
$ 259.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 1,866 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-fan-thread-we-play-till-we-drop-winner-takes-all/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.