20230114_140147 (resized).jpg
20230103_184534 (resized).jpg
20221129_113759 (resized).jpg
178ABAA9-2F03-4B7D-844E-ED654EF9AA57 (resized).jpeg
55B09A28-1A86-4901-8E00-E999A7C1A26F (resized).jpeg
644301EF-632E-4BD6-9C92-CFC498488763 (resized).jpeg
20200522_174245 (resized).jpg
20200522_174638 (resized).jpg

There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 2 years ago

I would like to make a reproduction boat for #Maverick Lauren Belle. I saw where user Cooky77950 listed a 3D printed boat, and reached out to him. He hasn't been online in 5 months, so I don't know if he will reply. Anyway, if anyone has a NOS or preferably an accurate 3D printed one for sale, I'm interested. My plan is to use it as a template for making a vacuum formed part. Suggestions are welcome and if you know Cooky77950 (from France) please have him contact me. I have a decent plaster cast already, but it could chip easily and don't want to risk it with vacuum forming just yet.

#2 2 years ago

Awesome! I would buy a spare for sure!

1 week later
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Awesome! I would buy a spare for sure!

I appreciate the interest! I didn't get a response, so I am putting shellac on the plaster cast now. Gonna try my hand at thermo-forming in a week or so and will let you know how it goes.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

I appreciate the interest! I didn't get a response, so I am putting shellac on the plaster cast now. Gonna try my hand at thermo-forming in a week or so and will let you know how it goes.

Awesome! Also, if you posted on the Maverick fan thread you would probably get more interest!

#5 2 years ago

I have a cracked after market one... and need a new one So I am definitely interested.

#6 2 years ago

Hope it goes well I am in for sure also ,keep us all updated

#7 2 years ago

I don't need one atm but if this gets going I'm in if the price is reasonable. I wish I had a NOS to help.

#8 2 years ago

I'm interested pending results and price. Thanks!

1 month later
#9 2 years ago

Any updates on this? Id like to get a new one for my game... Also, anyone have any pics or documentation on using a qtip and alcohol to clean the optos? Id like to clean mine on maverick and make sure I get it done right.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

I am in for sure please let us all know how it goes

4 weeks later
#11 2 years ago

The shellac chipped, so I made a silicone mold of it and did a resin pour. I need to finish sanding ithe resin smooth to prep for thermoforming. Sorry, I got distracted on a project Amigo pin. It should be done in a few weeks then I will hop back on this project.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

The shellac chipped, so I made a silicone mold of it and did a resin pour. I need to finish sanding ithe resin smooth to prep for thermoforming. Sorry, I got distracted on a project Amigo pin. It should be done in a few weeks then I will hop back on this project.

Np bud this happens ,please keep us update as I have two Mavericks that needs boats

1 week later
#13 2 years ago

Put me down for one as well !

3 weeks later
#14 1 year ago

Put me down for one!

2 months later
#15 1 year ago

Any update on this - am avidly awaiting news! No pressure . It’s only a hobby!

3 months later
#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

Hi bud any update lately

2 months later
#17 1 year ago

Well folks, I finally have an update. My first model was plaster and shellac. The second model was resin with filler. I was unhappy with the texture on the resin, so I put a glass-like coating on the plaster one, and it looked amazing! First test with thermoforming was a mild success but it trashed the model because the heat fused it to the model. Model 3.0 is almost complete!!! Pics attached of the first attempt and the new model. I have been bulldogging it the last couple weeks and will stay on it until I have something good. Just need to fill in some cracks, drill 3 holes, seal the wood, wax it, and dust it with talc before the next attempt. Bear with me!! If I succeed, I am thinking of offering them at around $50 each. Thoughts? I'm sure I could scalp folks at $100, but that's not cool. Just need to recover some time and materials. I started on the wood model Saturday, and its my 2nd woodworking project ever.

20211017_184825 (resized).jpg20211019_194317 (resized).jpg20211019_200346 (resized).jpg20211019_201301 (resized).jpg20211027_173218 (resized).jpg
#18 1 year ago

I might take one for $50. I would certainly buy 2 for $50.

If I remember correctly from my college plastics technology course, drilling some pinholes in the mold help prevent those webs from forming, right?

#19 1 year ago

Great work maybe try air holes and hook up a air so it sucks just a bit it should be the same as the boat u made ,I used too work for where they made bath tubs that's how they did it work great for them and if everything goes well I will take two of them ,I have two Mavericks ,keep up the great work bud

#20 1 year ago

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will keep at it and post ASAP with results. Stickers are $35 form Marco. They come with additional stickers too. I may try and make some as a much less expensive option. Stay tuned...

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I will keep at it and post ASAP with results. Stickers are $35 form Marco. They come with additional stickers too. I may try and make some as a much less expensive option. Stay tuned...

That's great I think I even have a set of stickers your doing a great job looking good so far keep us posted

#22 1 year ago

If you can provide me with a scan of the stickers, I would be VERY grateful! That would save me a few steps...

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

If you can provide me with a scan of the stickers, I would be VERY grateful! That would save me a few steps...

I will find them and let you know

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

I haven't forgot just been very busy with work and all that stuff should find them over the weekend
Happy flipping

#25 1 year ago

It's ready for a vacuum forming test... drilled, sealed, painted, coated, waxed and I'm feeling optimistic. I will coat in talc. Tomorrow or Tuesday nite...

20211031_203150 (resized).jpg
#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

It's ready for a vacuum forming test... drilled, sealed, painted, coated, waxed and I'm feeling optimistic. I will coat in talc. Tomorrow or Tuesday nite...
[quoted image]

Looks so good bud I hope it all goes well keep in touch ,

#27 1 year ago

I created a soft seal where the plastic sheet contacts the vacuum former. Much improvement, but still imperfect. Next attempt will be with a tandem vac for added suction. That will have to wait until this weekend...

20211102_205048 (resized).jpg20211102_210309 (resized).jpg
#29 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

I created a soft seal where the plastic sheet contacts the vacuum former. Much improvement, but still imperfect. Next attempt will be with a tandem vac for added suction. That will have to wait until this weekend...
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow bud u almost go it nice work your doing very well

#30 1 year ago

I spent the weekend researching and reworking my setup. I made a sturdy frame out of 1" aluminum tubing sith slots on the outer edges to clamp the plastic between the two frames with binder clips. I tested different plastic heating temperatures, sag, and mold temperatures. I added a second vacuum in series, added a raft under the mold, and wedges around the mold to reduce webbing. I can smooth out some imperfections while wearing Oven Gloves but there are too many variables that must be perfect to get a decent product. I think a different size plastic will solve most issues. It might be here Tuesday...

20211107_171821 (resized).jpg
#31 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

I spent the weekend researching and reworking my setup. I made a sturdy frame out of 1" aluminum tubing sith slots on the outer edges to clamp the plastic between the two frames with binder clips. I tested different plastic heating temperatures, sag, and mold temperatures. I added a second vacuum in series, added a raft under the mold, and wedges around the mold to reduce webbing. I can smooth out some imperfections while wearing Oven Gloves but there are too many variables that must be perfect to get a decent product. I think a different size plastic will solve most issues. It might be here Tuesday...
[quoted image]

Your doing great keep up the good work u will get it

#32 1 year ago

I am so excited to see the progress! I am definitely in for one, This is the last piece I need to restore mine.

Well, actually I need the poker symbol flipper bats.. but those are unobtainable. So decals will have to do!

#33 1 year ago

The new plastic arrived today. I gave it a quick try just to size it up. I think it turned out great cnsidering I didn't try to "fix" it while it cooled down (one wrinkle). I didn't heat the mold either. I def need to sand out the woodgrain, and do one minor trim on the front left of the mold. The boat's front left side of the pic is looking sad. I think this is progress tho! It's gonna be a weekend of tests!

16366036097451052518395404056163 (resized).jpg
#34 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

The new plastic arrived today. I gave it a quick try just to size it up. I think it turned out great cnsidering I didn't try to "fix" it while it cooled down (one wrinkle). I didn't heat the mold either. I def need to sand out the woodgrain, and do one minor trim on the front left of the mold. The boat's front left side of the pic is looking sad. I think this is progress tho! It's gonna be a weekend of tests!
[quoted image]

That's coming along really good so far your almost there bud keep up the great work bud

#35 1 year ago

That is awesome!! Your test pieces are so much better than what I have. I can't wait until you have some ready to sell!

#37 1 year ago

I spent the weekend sanding and vanishing at least 10 coats to get a smooth surface and minimize woodgrain texture on the plastic. I am still unable to eliminate the one wrinkle on the nose, and the corners aren't sharp on the tiers. Gonna borrow another shop vac and drill another port to connect it in parallel instead of series. I am also looking for a neoprene gasket to improve vacuum integrity too. I have to travel for work this week, and will have family over for Thanksgiving week so updates will be sparse for a bit. It's very close to acceptable and I will let you know when we finally get there!

#38 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

I spent the weekend sanding and vanishing at least 10 coats to get a smooth surface and minimize woodgrain texture on the plastic. I am still unable to eliminate the one wrinkle on the nose, and the corners aren't sharp on the tiers. Gonna borrow another shop vac and drill another port to connect it in parallel instead of series. I am also looking for a neoprene gasket to improve vacuum integrity too. I have to travel for work this week, and will have family over for Thanksgiving week so updates will be sparse for a bit. It's very close to acceptable and I will let you know when we finally get there!

Enjoy the break and take your time - have been waiting a while and can wait a while longer!

#39 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

Yes have some time off enjoy it bud ,your right I used too make bathtub and shower unit and they used lots of vacuum and holes everywhere too help with all the spots hope this helps take care bud

#40 1 year ago

That is awesome news! I can't tell you how much it means to me that you are doing this and trying your best to get as close to perfect as possible! This is one of my favorite tables and this is one of the only pieces left for my restore.

#41 1 year ago

As for making the edges sharp, What if you made a negative buck and pressed it on top of the plastic as you vacuum form it? That is how they make foam bowls at the plant I used to manage IT for.

#42 1 year ago

A negative buck would help sharpen the corners, and I don't think it would be as challenging as the main buck. U just gotta get rid of the webbing on the nose. I didn't plan ahead, and had a 90 degree corner below the front left where the original plastic part stops. I cut the corner down and will add a slope out away from the boat to take up excess plastic. That solved webbing in all other areas, but the geometry wasn't as intense as the nose of the boat.

#43 1 year ago

A negative buck would help sharpen the corners, and I don't think it would be as challenging as the main buck. U just gotta get rid of the webbing on the nose. I didn't plan ahead, and had a 90 degree corner below the front left where the original plastic part stops. I cut the corner down and will add a slope out away from the boat to take up excess plastic. That solved webbing in all other areas, but the geometry wasn't as intense as the nose of the boat.</blockquoate>

Yes the nose of the boat is the main part too work on for sure as always u will find the right way great work bud keep it up and thanks for posting

#44 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

A negative buck would help sharpen the corners, and I don't think it would be as challenging as the main buck. U just gotta get rid of the webbing on the nose. I didn't plan ahead, and had a 90 degree corner below the front left where the original plastic part stops. I cut the corner down and will add a slope out away from the boat to take up excess plastic. That solved webbing in all other areas, but the geometry wasn't as intense as the nose of the boat.

I think your progress is absolutely amazing. If the latest one you posted, was the best I could get... I would still be happy. But I am glad that you are striving for perfection. Maverick is one of my favorite tables and this and the poker flipper bats are all I need for the mechanical restoration of the WRECK of a table I bought!

1 month later
#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Prodigal1:

Hi bud I hope everything is going good with this ,all best wishes

1 week later
#46 1 year ago

My Lauren Belle cracked over the weekend. A ball got stuck on the drop targets, then the machine cycled them up. The result was squishing the ball up under the Lauren Bell and tearing part of the side. ☹️

#47 1 year ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

My Lauren Belle cracked over the weekend. A ball got stuck on the drop targets, then the machine cycled them up. The result was squishing the ball up under the Lauren Bell and tearing part of the side. ☹️

That sucks I think it happens too all of us

#48 1 year ago

Hi bud is there any updates on your work lately

2 weeks later
#49 1 year ago

Hey Prodigal1 , If you have abandoned the project... Can I buy one of your "failures"? As they are nearly perfect and heaps better than what I have.

#50 1 year ago
Quoted from RandyW:

Hey Prodigal1 , If you have abandoned the project... Can I buy one of your "failures"? As they are nearly perfect and heaps better than what I have.

Same here!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
3,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Gilbert, AZ
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Maverick Reproductions
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
PinSound
Boards
4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Charles Town, WV
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 128 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/maverick-boat-lauren-belle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.