New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 75085)

maverick (update part 2)

By dementedwarlok

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dementedwarlok
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20140226_180532.jpg

#1 6 years ago

Have the option to buy a maverick for 1000. How is it? Would be my first dmd game.

#2 6 years ago

Fun, fun pin. Just make sure that big DMD is working 100% as it is beyond expensive! Also... make sure the paddle wheel is OK. If the playfield, cabinet look good and it works, grab it man!~SpOoKy

#3 6 years ago

Going to try. I am a bit short. Wasn't expecting a response so quick with the post I had made. Gonna go check it out next week.

#4 6 years ago

I wouldn't wait until next week at that price. Maybe offer up a refundable deposit to hold the pin? Just saying but good luck an karma either/or!~SpOoKy

#5 6 years ago

It wasn't a posted for sale. He contacted me. I posted on the dreaded cl I was looking for a pin 1000 or less. Also he said he has been a owner operator for 20 years then turned collector. He has 30 plus he is trying to thin out so I may wait for a better title.

#6 6 years ago

Well for that price I would take a road trip got any pics from him if your passing pm me

#7 6 years ago

well he is between lansing IL and O'hare. guess most of his games are in O'hare. I really dont know much it was hard to understand him, either he had no teeth or wasted. his cough said he is most likely selling due to health problems.

#8 6 years ago

$1,000? Go get it.

#9 6 years ago

If you end up with DMD issues, it isn't that big of a deal anymore since you can use a DMDExtender and install an LCD in place of the DMD for a semi-reasonable price.

#10 6 years ago

I cannot say enough good things about this machine, I simply love it. I have most of the A listers in my collection of almost 30, but I can't wait to come around to this machine each time.

Quoted from winteriscoming:

If you end up with DMD issues, it isn't that big of a deal anymore since you can use a DMDExtender and install an LCD in place of the DMD for a semi-reasonable price.

That is still quite costly and time consuming, I would still say it's a major factor for this large display machines. It's nice there is an option of course.

#11 6 years ago

I paid $1400 for mine just a few months ago, in great shape 100% working including DMD. It was worth every penny to me. It's my only DMD and I can't get enough of it.

#12 6 years ago

Maverick is a fun game. It is my wife's favorite. Has a few modes (I want to say like 6, a blackjack game for, and mystery ), skill shot, 3 or 4 ball multiball, and is a drop target game (has 4 banks ) not a ramp and orbit shot game....kind of different. The object is to complete the drop targets for poker hands.

Data east games are not as well constructed as bally/Williams games but oh well. The d m d is pricey (like 400 if you can even find one) but the other poster is right, using extender and raspberry pi I can make a new one out of an old laptop monitor.

The only think I don't like about my maverick is the boat optos. They are a maintenance nightmare. I am always having to adjust the things and they are super sensitive. They always seem to go on the fritz during an epic game.

#13 6 years ago

Maverick was my 1st pin ever and it's the best bang for your buck pin out there. $1000 is a nice price. Just check the DMD and the paddleboat optos (I had a problem with those constantly). The game play is really great if you like drop targets, the modes are fun and the poker theme is nice.

The artwork and actual maverick theme and the brown cabinet are detractors and surprisingly the twangy music didn't bother me.

#14 6 years ago

Great pin for the price, but it does not hold some peoples attention for long. The drop targets are fun, the ramp shots are good, but the music will get to you. For a first DMD it is well worth 1k in good condition. The board sets alone are worth the investment.

#15 6 years ago

Do it.
Do test the DMD though, through the test menu. An outgassing one may not always be very noticeable but will put stress on the power supply and eventually blow some stuff up.
A replacement DMD, if that's still findable, is upwards of 500$, and if not with the new alternative probably still close to 300$.

My first machine also, I now have at least one or two too many and it's not going to be the first one to go. Love the music, love the theme. Can't go wrong with poker.

3 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

Maverick's a great pin and sell for a lot more in Australia...maybe that's why we get a lot of import ones.
I love mine as I'm a fan of the poker theme and drop targets as well as the film! Buy it!

4 weeks later
#17 6 years ago

Going to go look at it next tuesday. I hate waiting.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

Going to go look at it next tuesday. I hate waiting.

Yeah, you are always wondering if something is going to go wrong, someones going to buy it out from under you. Hang in there! Post pics when you get it...love my Maverick!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Yeah, you are always wondering if something is going to go wrong, someones going to buy it out from under you. Hang in there! Post pics when you get it...love my Maverick!

Yeah he had contacted me about a week after Indiana big snow storm asking if I still wanted it. I had to pass then due to our customer Ford not making cars so I had to dip in my pin save fund to keep things a float. Must be a sign for me that he still has it.

#20 6 years ago

It's a corny theme, but a fun machine, tough to score big.

#21 6 years ago

I will have to watch the movie. Since I never heard of the movie I guess it didn't do well.

#22 6 years ago

I will have to watch the movie. Since I never heard of the movie I guess it didn't do well.

I know Gibson's stock has fallen (and deservedly so) but I always loved this movie - great cast and just all-around fun.

#23 6 years ago

Some of the best movies are the ones that didn't do well...but I'm pretty sure Maverick was a hit back in '94.

#24 6 years ago

The movie was based on an old TV show, of which a comic book was made. If you have some free space on your wall next to your machine, they can look pretty cool with the right frame:

ebay.com link

#25 6 years ago

Passed on maverick and spent 400 on this

20140226_180532.jpg
#26 6 years ago

Maverick needed a shop job. Sound was working may have had a loose connection. The boat wheel worked but the belt was broke. Looked loike the opto was modded to a switch. Dmd worked great he said he replaced it. He is firm on the price. Next to maverick was junkyard, roadshow, and banzi run. He had a decent looking space invaders with no playfield wear. Also had some old slots. He showded me some what looked like nos playfields for fireball 2, seen a rock playfield. He showded me a translite for nitemare on elm just the paper no glass had to be nos. Had a few old arcade games. Had a beer game the one tthat goes up and down put the ball in the hole. A mrs pacman that was a caberay. A game called fire rescue. In garage freezing he has a big hurt. It was a amazing experience

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
PinSound
$ 50.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
€ 339.00
Displays
GermanGamingSupplies.com
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside