2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by joshmc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

324B80B8-6B4B-415B-B26F-FE9E0CF3A80B (resized).png
    7AA1EE8E-A72C-4DEF-BD03-74739FBF8FDD (resized).png
    0F434AC5-EAA3-403C-8D57-2C0544E09B83 (resized).png
    Playfield Scan2 (resized).JPG
    Playfield Scan1 (resized).JPG
    Clear Contact (resized).JPG
    #1 2 years ago

Hi all

I have worked out how to create a vector image for my Big Deal playfield using Photoshop and a Silhouette Cameo. I'm having a bit of an issue with the actual stencil material however. I've tried friskit as someone recommended that. Obviously, I'm after something transparent, however the friskit is quite temperamental: the back sticks to the cutting matt. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can try? Would appreciate suggestions. I've also heard of the 'floating' method but it sounds terribly complicated

Regards
    Josh

#2 2 years ago

Try Oramask 813 and low-tack transfer tape.

#3 2 years ago

Take your photo, pick a reference point, start measuring.

#4 2 years ago

I have used clear removable shelf-liner material in my Silhouette to make stencils for a cabinet, it’s cheap and available at any dollar store. It’s pretty sticky though so test that it doesn’t take paint up if your PF isn’t clear coated.

#5 2 years ago

I tried this stuff, last night. Believe it or not, it actually works really well. It doesnt take the paint off the playfield when removed. Lining up the cut out image with the playfield is a little challenging however and I'm afraid my 'tracing' in Photoshop wasnt exactly 100%. I'm actually thinking it might be easier to skip using Photoshop and the Silhouette cutter altogether: rather, I would just lay the contact material on the playfield and use an exacto knife (very very lightly) to cut out the areas I want to paint.. one colour at a time.

Clear Contact (resized).JPGClear Contact (resized).JPG
    #6 2 years ago

You should be using material sold as 'paint stencil' or 'paint mask'.

Are you using a scanner like the HP4670?

You can cut frisket directly on the playfield, as discussed by vid1900 or as @HEP does (although he uses a razor blade). Depends on how steady a hand you are and the kind of shapes you need to cut.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

You should be using material sold as 'paint stencil' or 'paint mask'.
    Are you using a scanner like the HP4670?
    You can cut frisket directly on the playfield, as discussed by vid1900 or as @HEP does (although he uses a razor blade). Depends on how steady a hand you are and the kind of shapes you need to cut.

Hi Doc,

I used a Cannon CanoScan LiDE 400. It's the only flatbed scanner I could find with a removeable lid. Most other scanners have a lid that either cant be removed or (at the very least) bend back 180 degrees. Scans of the playfield arent the issue. The Cannon can scan up to 600 DPI (I generally use the 400 DPI setting) and the quality of the images is 'ok'.. good enough to use the pen tool in Photoshop to create the vectors.

Is there a particular brand of paint stencil or mask you would recommend that doesnt cost an arm and a leg?

Regards
    Josh

Playfield Scan1 (resized).JPGPlayfield Scan1 (resized).JPGPlayfield Scan2 (resized).JPGPlayfield Scan2 (resized).JPG
    #8 2 years ago

Also, in terms of the letters… stencil or decals?? I saw a guy do a restoration of a Close Encounters and it looks like he uses a transfer for the letters / text

0F434AC5-EAA3-403C-8D57-2C0544E09B83 (resized).png0F434AC5-EAA3-403C-8D57-2C0544E09B83 (resized).png7AA1EE8E-A72C-4DEF-BD03-74739FBF8FDD (resized).png7AA1EE8E-A72C-4DEF-BD03-74739FBF8FDD (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/material-to-use-for-playfield-stencil and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.