5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by AlbanyTim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I'm looking for guidance on how to do what I want in matchplay.events. We are a small group and 11-15 people normally show up to our weekly league. There aren't any large public locations around us and our location has only 2 machines. We want to set up tournaments in match play where each participant plays each game twice in group play. Replaying the same people is secondary, but we still want to randomize the groups each round.

I have tried several different setting when creating tournaments, but no matter what, I can't get match play to force each player to play each machine twice. Does anyone know how to do this in match play? Thanks.

#2 5 years ago

The best thing to do is reach out to Andreas, he responds pretty quick.

I have found that MP is good at matching/balancing players, but machine distribution is secondary - so this is opposite your goal.

What tournament format are you trying to use?

#3 5 years ago

Can you set up each game two times so you have a total of 4 games (eg TAF1, TAF2, SS1, SS2)? Assuming the group remains the same you should be able to create one round with 4 matches, and then each group would play the four games. If you're looking to change the groups after each round of fewer than 4 games there's no way to guarantee they play each game twice.

#4 5 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

Quoted from Black_Knight:

What tournament format are you trying to use?

We're using a group match play format. I reached out to Andreas. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quoted from u2sean:

If you're looking to change the groups after each round of fewer than 4 games there's no way to guarantee they play each game twice.

That's what we've been finding out. We just need more machines.

#5 5 years ago

Not sure this is even possible. You’ll have to give up on one of the variables I think. Either concentrate on playing every game twice, or randomizing players.

Or have it do balanced pairings (means it will pair you with people you haven’t played) and do it so you play 2 games per round. Then each round have half the groups play one of the games twice, and the other half of the groups play the other game twice.

Or have each group play one game on each game. Then when groups are reordered, do the same thing, until everyone has played each game at least twice.

#6 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure this is even possible. You’ll have to give up on one of the variables I think. Either concentrate on playing every game twice, or randomizing players.

I think you're right.

I have the groupings I need written out on paper for 8-16 people (everyone plays both arenas twice and only occasionally replays players). I just can't have match play generate them for me. Manually entering them is a bit of a pain, so I might be stuck with doing it on paper.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from AlbanyTim:

I think you're right.
    I have the groupings I need written out on paper for 8-16 people (everyone plays both arenas twice and only occasionally replays players). I just can't have match play generate them for me. Manually entering them is a bit of a pain, so I might be stuck with doing it on paper.

If you do what I suggested you would just have to pick the games each round. If you have each group play one game on each game each round then regroup, shouldn’t take more than 10-15 seconds each round to set the games. Just pick manual arena draws.

Unless I’m missing something, that should work pretty good.

Hell if you select balanced for arena selections too doing it this way it should make each group play each game each round.

So after two rounds, everyone will have played each game twice.

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Unless I’m missing something, that should work pretty good.

The first time I attempted it, I got a javaScript error. After you posted the second time, I tried it again and it worked correctly. Your solution will be what I do. Thank you.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/matchplayevents-trouble-with-small-tournament-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.