Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by epthegeek
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Last week started off the 6 week series. I set up the Series with 6 tournaments. Each week is Group match play, 1 round with 4 matches. I set it up with Swiss pairing however. I started tomorrow’s round to test the pairing between weeks and just like I thought, it’s not pairing between tournaments within the same series. What am I doing wrong?

#2 5 years ago

desperate plea for help bump

#3 5 years ago

Matchplay doesn't carry over rankings between tournaments in a series, so the swiss pairing doesn't carry over.

#4 5 years ago

So to do a 6 week league with Swiss pairing should it be a TOURNAMENT instead of a series, and have 6 rounds in the tournament? And wait til the next week to start the round?

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

So to do a 6 week league with Swiss pairing should it be a TOURNAMENT instead of a series, and have 6 rounds in the tournament? And wait til the next week to start the round?

That might work. Not sure if it's a problem to have a single event open that long. Or you could manually do the seeding for the following weeks to carry it over from session to session.

#6 5 years ago

better to post this on the tilt forums matchplay thread...

#7 5 years ago

thanks for the responses, basically to do what I want I have to just set up a 6 round tournament instead of series. The series works great for knockouts but not group play. Ive done the long tournament in the past like this but I wanted to utilize the series option, because I give the players 2 of the worst scores to drop so if they miss a week or 2 they aren't out of the running, but I have to do that manually now on a spreadsheet.

I was going to do the manual seeding but its a pain when you go to start and you have 30 people waiting on you to thumb around with the clunky matchplay site.

#8 5 years ago

just add the players in the order they are seeded and they are then seeded, or latest that's what happened during my last tourney.

#9 5 years ago
    Quoted from NeilMcRae:

better to post this on the tilt forums matchplay thread...

http://tiltforums.com/t/match-play-events-open-thread/958/1029
    The developer posts there so that's your best chance of accurate information about Matchplay.events

AFAIK Matchplay has no way to drop any scores. When we dropped scores during our Bat City Pinball league we used a Google Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13V9ELlFWoVRBv3QrkXQHkxNgO5utObNJzYROML2VFSU/edit?usp=sharing
    Our format was three week qualifying, dropping the lowest five of fifteen total games. Use the ten counting games for seeding into a ladder finals. Feel free to contact me if you need more details.

#10 5 years ago

the last series we did I did the 6 round tournament and each week kept the scores on a spreadsheet, matchplay swiss paired throughout the 6 rounds but as the weeks went on I manually deleted peoples 2 lowest weeks to get the true number outside of matchplay. Its not that bad but on matchplay while setting up a series it gives the option to drop 2 low scores out of the tournaments. That's what made me try this out. Like I said this would work for a knockout series, but not for the Group Play. I feel like they should just add the option in the tournament (Swiss pair based on previous tournaments in a series)

#11 5 years ago

I use matchplay for a "play x number, drop x number" league series, and I usually do swiss pairing. I just let it do random for the first round each time and it uses the swiss for the night, so people end up with similar competition by the end of the meet, rather than caring if the seeding holds between meets.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/matchplay-help-for-6-week-league and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.