(Topic ID: 98277)

Matching Gottlieb Colors

By KloggMonkey

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Trying to match up the colors on my Royal Flush, I'm using Createx airbrush colors per Vid's Playfield Resto guide.
I am having a hard time getting my yellow, but I am sure I will have difficulty with the others as well.

The Gottlieb yellow seems a bit more 'golden' than the stock opaque Createx I can get all kinds of turd yellows but not the yellow I'm looking at on my PF. I've added red, white, even a small amount of black trying to get this yellow match.

It is very frustrating. Anyone have some color recipes I can tweak to match the amount of fade that's on mine?
Or even some color matching tips in general, I have good color vision I just have no clue what to add to make my mix change in the direction it needs to go.

I have the standard 6 opaque colors, perhaps I need some others also to get the matches?

#2 9 years ago

I read somewhere recently (I'd post the source if I remembered where it was) that there was sometimes a bit of neon color mixed in. However, since I'm not seeing anything explicitly labeled as "neon" on the createx site, maybe someone else has some more information.

#3 9 years ago

Try adding orange or brown.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys, I think I just need to use a color wheel and understand how to use it. I'll do a little homework.

#5 9 years ago

Take the playfield outdoors and mix the paint in sunlight.

Have your wife mix the paint if you are stuck - women have better color vision.

#6 9 years ago

I'll try the sunlight mixing. Seems to be lots of yellow with a small amount of orange.

I'm toying with the idea of clearing it with minimal touch ups or maybe none at all. I'm all for things looking good but as long as its flat and plays good I can handle a few blemishes.

#7 9 years ago

Or if you have a dime size sample area, have the local hardware store mix you up a quart with their computer color matcher.

If I've got cabs to do, I'll just take the head or cab into the store on a dolly and have them mix it up.

3 years later
#8 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Or if you have a dime size sample area, have the local hardware store mix you up a quart with their computer color matcher.
If I've got cabs to do, I'll just take the head or cab into the store on a dolly and have them mix it up.

Do those stores have acrylic paints that will work on a playfield that is going to be clear coated?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/matching-gottlieb-colors and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.