Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Raff
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180222_115056 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    p (resized).jpg
    007 (resized).jpg
    20180223_140224 (resized).jpg
    20180222_2004357 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Can you help with matching this colour any ideas would be great I have tried to match it with no luck
    20180222_2004357 (resized).jpg20180222_2004357 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Get a few blues, a pure yellow and a pure green. Then mix.. I would use all three to get in the ball park- then take a small amount of what you got (close or as close as you can get) and separate this into thirds and to each third add either more blue, more yellow, or green. A little at a time. Literally, two big brush scoops of the first mix into a mixing tray and then touch the top of a brush into the green or blue and mix (each third will be mixed with additional blue or green or yellow ONLY). Then after you dip a tip into the color and mix it into the little bit of paint- paint a stripe across the playfield (its acrylic, you can wipe off with a baby wipe) or on a sheet of glass over the playfield. Keep doing this, add a bit more yellow (to the one you adding yellow to) etc and at each addition paint another stripe next to the last one from that mix. Never judge wet paint and keep going with each mix until your Certain that adding more of the single color is making it worse. Then figure out about what to use based upon which matched best.

If it’s to dark. It the color is looking good, add white in tiny amounts like instructed painting small stripes at each addition until you get there. Once you have a match, make a big batch using more or less the same start and then start adding the color you know you need using the same strategy and stop when it’s perfect.

#3 6 years ago

Blue and white to tint it. Possibly needs yellow. If it needs to be desaturated add a very small amount of red or orange.

What paint are you using? Createx has some blues in that range.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

What paint are you using

20180223_140224 (resized).jpg20180223_140224 (resized).jpg

Got the blue green & yellow paint out will start from there.

#5 6 years ago

I responded, and I do eventually get near perfect matches, but trust me I am slow and its frustrating- basically what I am trying to say, is the method I outlined will get you there but I can guarantee its the fastest.

I am guessing your using brushes given paints... that can work but consider using an air brush for a seamless repair. You can get one cheap and thats plenty good enough to do this. That, a razor and a 20 dollar roll of Frisket and you will be restoring like a pro. If you want to try an air brush, you will probably want to switch to a different paint set, but you can also stick to your guns and work carefully... curious, the paint your were pointing to looked really good, I presume your planning on repairing something else?

#6 6 years ago

Before image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

After
    Thank you , after mixing the aqua colour and white and then just kept adding white this is the result
    007 (resized).jpg007 (resized).jpg inside the black circle is where the paint went I reckon that's a good match , I am no expert at playfield but this looks a hundred times better than before it was down to bare wood and a nice gauge in it , rufessor this is a tempore fix for now , I have thought about air brushing and will look into it but first I have to learn how to use one. This aqua blue colour and titanium white are the winning colours if any one needs the colour for Quick Draw. Thanks rufessor for pointing me in the right direction and thanks dr-nybble, and thanks to aphil3025 for helping out .

#7 6 years ago

p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg Black line fixed on top.
    This red insert When lit where can you buy them from.

#8 6 years ago

Most places will sell opaque red inserts. You have to sand them to get rid of the mold mark and also potentially to make it fit (or clean out the hole). Then you have to apply a decal (or paint via using a paint mask, or rub-on transfer) and clear coat it.

Alternatively, try a red LED under the old insert. You'll be surprised how much better it suddenly looks!

#9 6 years ago

Yea i have red led will put one under it

1 month later
    #10 6 years ago

I have the exact same playfield repairs that you just did. How did you get your lettering so perfect? Thanks

#11 6 years ago

I am also restoring my Fast Draw and I had some trouble with color matching.
    studying some nos playfields , and original flyers I understand that original colors were very different than the colors on my sample after more than 40 years of environmental damage. So I decided to repaint all the colors , given also the fact that the playfield had some serious (bare wood ) damage.
    Using createx opaque colors I found that the large light bluish area is almost identical with the createx opaque sky blue (it can be tweaked with maybe 10 sky blue and 1 white) , the darker blues can be produced by mixing 4 blue 3 white , red is 1 red 1 yellow , yellow as is , and all yellowed whites must be painted pure white. All colors from the createx opaque line.

will hopefully be posting some documentation really soon.

Charles

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bill_EM:

I have the exact same playfield repairs that you just did. How did you get your lettering so perfect? Thanks

Looks like a waterslide decal (you can see the decal outline if you look closely).

1 week later
    #13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bill_EM:

yep i used clear waterslide decal paper , print then spray with a acrylic clear spray and let it dry.

#14 6 years ago

20180222_115056 (resized).jpg20180222_115056 (resized).jpg
    Use a wood putty to fill the dent sand it back ,paint let it dry then apply water decal
    The black outline i did that by hand not the best but better than before.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/matching-a-colour-on-the-payfield-quick-draw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.