• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Soccer Match Unit (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

This is on Heat Wave (Wms 1964).

I've cleaned and reinstalled the Match unit.

To test, I've gotten to the end of a game and manually advanced the unit. It cycles through all of the match numbers.

Seems like when it came to the number showing on the 0-9 reel, it would give a free game. But, it didn't.

Is something wrong, or had it already passed the point of giving a free game?

How can I test that the match unit properly syncs with the 0-9 reel besides playing game after game until there has been a match on each digit?

Mike

#2 3 years ago

It won't once it has gone to game over.

It's easy to test it. Leave the match number on 0 or step it to 0. Restart the game which will reset the reels to 0. You want to score points which will not step the 0-9 unit so you close the ball chute. Then drain all the balls. The 0-9 unit will still be on 0 and so will the 1 point reel. It should match. Obviously you do all this manually with the glass off.

#3 3 years ago

I don't have the schematic but if you do then you can look at the light bulb circuits and find a switch on the Game Over relay that lights the match numbers. Put an Alligator Clip jumper wire across that switch and the match numbers will stay lit while you're playing a game.

#4 3 years ago

Match is 'on' (via radio plug in the back box)? And you're not maxed out on credits?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

How can I test that the match unit properly syncs with the 0-9 reel besides playing game after game until there has been a match on each digit?

This is a good situation to use your meter since what you really want is to test all 10 possibilities. Here's the relevant part of the schematic from Soccer, but yours will likely be similar.
Soccer Match Unit (resized).jpgSoccer Match Unit (resized).jpg
The first switch on the left shows that the match is only awarded when the Score Motor is turning. And the last switch on the right shows that the match is only awarded if the Replay Unit isn't maxed out. No matter.

If you unplug the game and clip your meter onto the two wires highlighted in red you should be able to verify that the Score Reel and Match Unit are working properly together. Put the meter on the lowest resistance setting and watch as you move the Match Unit and Score reel manually. For each digit on the score reel you should be able to find one position on the Match unit where the resistance between your probes drops to an ohm or less. That's the resistance going through both units and proves that there's a conducting path through them.

So the process would be:
- unplug the game
- clip the meter in
- advance the Match unit 10 times or until you see the resistance drop to 1 ohm or less
- if the resistance drops you've found the path for that Score Reel number. advance the Score Reel an repeat the previous step
- if you don't find a position where the resistance drops there's a problem with the path for that Score Reel value

/Mark

#6 3 years ago

For anyone else who wants to test that the 0 - 9 reel and match unit are correctly matching, here is the order of the match lights:

0 4 9 5 2 8 3 7 1 6 (its on the schematic).

So, to test match for zero, do as EMsInKC says, above. Get to Game Over, manually advance the match unit to zero, start a game, hit a ten point target so the ones digit doesn't move, and drain the balls.

To test the for a match on 1, get to Game Over, manually advance the unit to 7 (one point before 1), hit a one point target and drain all the balls.

To test for a match on 2, you'll have to advance the match unit to 9, so that when you hit a one point target twice you will have 2 on the score reel and the match will have advanced 2 clicks from 9 to 5 to 2. And so on.

#7 3 years ago

MarkG I saw that on the schematic, but don't know how to relate that to the physical connections on the match unit.

There's 11 connections running along the top of the unit, plus the one to the very right which is not used. So, I guess I'm looking for a set of 11 or 12 connection points on the schematic.

And, there's 10 along the left edge of the unit, running top to bottom. Is that what the diagram at your red arrows is pointing at?

I can't find a set of 11 and 10 on the schematic.

The connections on the unit itself are not labeled. How does one know which is which?

The schematic shows an advance unit at approx 8 E. Is that the match unit?

#8 3 years ago

The match unit probably has 11 connections just for the match lights (10 numbers and a common). But there's no need to unwind the specific physical connections. In the schematic above you could clip into one wire at the Tilt relay and another wire at the match adjustment jones plug and not worry about how the Score Reel or Match Unit are wired. If you can identify that there is a path through each of the 10 score reel values you're done. No wire tracing needed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/match-unit-testing?hl=dgampguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.