(Topic ID: 168826)

Match light not lighting but get free credit??..

By BanditBoy

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hi all,
Sorry to keep asking for help..... But when will I ever get to stop having to tinker with an EM to keep it alive? (If ever)

Anyway, latest problem.......
If I get an end of game match it knocks and adds the credit but the light that illuminates the number doesn't light up? It did when I first got it..

John

#2 7 years ago

I'm assuming this is happening on a Royal Guard?

If I remember correctly this era of game has a game over relay on the control bank in the cabinet. If your game has a game over relay, check the switches on that relay. One of them closes when the relay trips to supply power to the game over and match lights. This switch needs to be making good contact. Also check to be sure the wires at the switch lugs have not become detached.

If your game has a match feature control plug, check to be sure both pins on that plug are making a good connection with the socket.

If those are OK, the next thing to check are the lamps and lamp sockets. If you have a jumper wire you can jumper the GI power to each of the match lamp sockets to confirm that they will actually light. If they don't, then you'll need to replace lamps and/or clean sockets.

Once you know the lamps are good, if you still have the problem then you will need to look at the 0-9 stepper unit located in the upper-right area of the head. Check to make sure that all the rivets and wipers are clean and making good contact and that all the wires are soldered to the lugs around the outside of the bakelite disc. And, make sure that there are jumper wires soldered across all three sets of double-wipers.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago

Hi TimMe..
Thx for the reply, there's plenty there for me to check out, I will have a look tomorrow...

Is there any nasty life terminating voltage in the back box or is it all low voltage??

Regards
John

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from BanditBoy:

Hi TimMe..
Thx for the reply, there's plenty there for me to check out, I will have a look tomorrow...
Is there any nasty life terminating voltage in the back box or is it all low voltage??
Regards
John

Well, you're in the UK, so I assume your game is running on 220v. But that's at the transformer. So I also assume your game has the standard 6v on the lamps and 25v on the coils. 25v is "potentially" dangerous but in actual practice rarely is.

#5 7 years ago

Thanks' for that, I'm bit wary since I got a belter from it when I first bought it... Some clown had changed the main cable but wired it the opposite way around, I thought the cab switch had killed the power but it was coming in the other way..

John

#6 7 years ago

Yes, you want to be very careful with 220 volt mains current! The safest thing to do is unplug the game while working inside it.

Also, be aware that all of the plastic-covered wire that you see inside your game is at mains voltage, while all of the cloth-covered wire is low voltage - 25 VAC or 6 VAC.

- TimMe

#7 7 years ago

Hi
Thx for that bit of info regarding wire insulation, always best to know things like this when tinkering, but as you said........ Best to pull the plug.

John

#8 7 years ago

Thx for the help lads, problem sorted.... It was a dodgy contact on the game over relay as was mentioned by TimMe....

Thank you Tim......

#9 7 years ago

Wow, that is one grateful emogi! Anyway, you're quite welcome - glad you got it fixed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/match-light-not-lighting-but-get-free-credit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.