Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mpsa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

why is the match feature enabled during free play? isn't the idea of match to get a "free" game.?

#2 10 years ago

On modern stern machines you can go in and turn the match off by setting the match percentage to 0% (it may even say off) in the game settings. I did this with my MET so that I could get back to playing instead of watching the match over and over.

Not sure what options other machines have.

As to why it's not off by default when you turn on free play I wondered the same thing myself.

#3 10 years ago

I kind of like the match feature at the end of the game, even if it is set to free play. In a way, it reminds me of when I was a kid a replay (whether won or a match) was meaningful.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from rad:

In a way, it reminds me of when I was a kid a replay (whether won or a match) was meaningful.

Or on location with games costing $1 or $2 now! It does feel good to get one then

#5 10 years ago

I don't have any of my games set to free play, I like using credits and getting matches, just feels more fun for whatever reason. To each there own.

#6 10 years ago

match feature is awesome! Even on free play

#7 10 years ago

I agree that getting a match on freeplay is pretty damn cool. You can just hit the start button if you want to cancel it anyway so I'm not sure what the issue is. I do find it annoying playing the pinball arcade how you have to wait for the match screen before starting a new game. I find that to be completely pointless considering it is a video game.

#8 10 years ago

On my ACDC you have options to choose. Some people like the Match feature, some don't. When set to Free Play it doesn't matter but there are people out there that still want to watch the sequence at the end to see if they're a winner. It's a nostalgia thing. On ACDC you can set it so there is no sequence animation. You can set it so it so it displays the Match Sequence and rewards a credit at whatever percentage you choose. The factory setting is 10%. Or, and this is my favorite, you can set it to show the Match Animation Sequence, but set the percentage to ZERO so it will never match but it will still show the sequence. I love it when people come over and play it and hope for a match. I know it's not going to happen but they still try to act like a winner.

#9 10 years ago

To be honest on my MET I just don't like the snake puking sequence and neither does my wife so I elected to turn it off.

I did not realize that hitting the start button canceled the animation. This is my first pinball machine so I am still filling out my rookie card .

Now the idea about needing to use tokens and getting free games sounds like it may be an interesting thing to try.

#10 10 years ago

Match is cool at first. Then it just gets in the way of quicker game play.

#11 10 years ago

The match feature is just one of those things that IS pinball. It's right up there with the knocker and the tilt bob. The game just isn't the same without stuff like this, IMHO.

#12 10 years ago

I like watching the sequence before it matches and if it gives me a free game i play again haha

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

The match feature is just one of those things that IS pinball.

100% agree with MattElder on this one.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

You can just hit the start button if you want to cancel it anyway

Just curious, if you do this, do you still get the match (ie, if you match)?

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

No i don't think it does registar

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from KenH:

It cancels the match sequence and any award you may have received.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from digitalbytes:

To be honest on my MET I just don't like the snake puking sequence and neither does my wife so I elected to turn it off.

Haha I love that animation and the callouts that go with it.

#18 10 years ago

I have all of my pins set to 0% match, that way the only time I hear the knocker is from a good score.

#19 10 years ago

Some games can change the free credit to an extra ball.

#20 10 years ago

On modern stern machines you can go in and turn the match off by setting the match percentage to 0% (it may even say off) in the game settings. I did this with my MET so that I could get back to playing instead of watching the match over and over.
    Not sure what options other machines have.
    As to why it's not off by default when you turn on free play I wondered the same thing myself.

Unless I'm missing something, I tried to take the match feature off POTC, but could only get it down to 1%....both TS and CV have it turned off completely.

#21 10 years ago

On modern stern machines you can go in and turn the match off by setting the match percentage to 0% (it may even say off) in the game settings.

cool thanks for the info, will do tonight on x-men as i don't like that match sequence.

now, on breakshot, that's a different story. best sequence ever imho!

#22 10 years ago

STID has a synthesized knocker sound. Just not quite the same.

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

It cancels the match sequence and any award you may have received.

I actually did this last night on a Sopranos on location. Someone was sitting right next to the machine, so when I saw the match, I hit start. Lost fifty cents...

#24 10 years ago

I don't know if this is possible but probably rare, in 4 player i had 2 matches come up as we had the same number..........has anyone every had 3 or 4 matches in the same game

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from Mato:

in 4 player i had 2 matches come up

Yes I have seen 2 matches at once, never 3 or 4. Match feature on an EM is truly random. The match feature on a SS pin is adjustable. When on location if 4 people are playing a SS pin, there is a good chance that 1 person matches, the others will play again.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from smokey_789:

STID has a synthesized knocker sound. Just not quite the same.

All newer Sterns have this, no?

7 years later
    #27 2 years ago

I installed a real knocker on my Stern Jurassic Park .I love the replay match feature. It sucks only goes to 10%. So nostalgic how I hear a knock.

#28 2 years ago

I have credits maxed out on high scores. It’s fun to embarrass people at get togethers when they think they broke it and it knocks 10 times.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

I have credits maxed out on high scores. It’s fun to embarrass people at get togethers when they think they broke it and it knocks 10 times.

good idea.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Reminds me of the old 80s Bally/Stern trick I do sometimes just so I can hear it - set high score to 10K, then at end of a 4 player game it knocks 12 times. Might knock a few more times if anybody wins a match.

2 months later
    #31 2 years ago

So locations can set match percentage to 0 and it will still show the match animation so you think you have a chance? Seems kinda like a rigged lottery.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/match-feature-during-free-play-why and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.