• 31 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by HighNoon
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Mata Hari worth restoring?”

• Yes - put a new playfield and stencil and it will be still valuable 11 votes
    58%
  • No - just clean it up and get out 8 votes
    42%

(19 votes)

#1 8 years ago

So, I have this Mata Hari that is actually pretty nice. It's a SS and it's all there. Boards are nice etc.

Playfield is typically worn - enough that it either should be left and sold or something needs to be done. I don't see investing 30 hours on restoring this playfield if the machine isn't worth anything.

Of course, CPR is coming out with a new deck.

So, question is - is it worth it? Does it have the same or similar draw as Kiss or Xenon?

#2 8 years ago

It's a cool looking game, but I don't see it being worth a new CPR playfield, in my opinion.

#3 8 years ago

With prices being what they are & keeping more pins out of the landfields. Let's keep pins on the market, cause someone will be looking for one.

#4 8 years ago

no way

#5 8 years ago

I cleaned up one for a friend and have been playing it for a few months. Its a fun little pin, a bit simple yes but fun. It is totally worth it to clean it up, the playfield teardown is really simple and easy, the first one I ever did and completely worth it.

CPR playfield on the other hand... Thats kind of pricey. I love the art package so if you are looking for a stunning show piece I say go for it. Otherwise just clean that baby real good.

#6 8 years ago

Hey, new poster here, but I'm in a similar situation. My feeling is that I shouldn't look at it from a purely value/return on investment standpoint - no way that works out in my favor if I do.

Instead, I'm looking at is as a chance to cut my teeth on a pf swap and restore project. It is a relatively simple swap, and will be an excellent learning opportunity for me.

My current pf is actually in pretty decent shape - wear around some of the bonus inserts and some ball swirl, but I think I can sell the old pf to offset at least a fraction of the cost.

MH was my first machine and I still enjoy playing it a great deal. I don't know if/when it will leave the collection, so for me at least, the new PF will be something I'll definitely tackle (hopefully within a year).

#7 8 years ago

Yea... well it was a trade-in so I have no attachment to it. I do enjoy the restoration work so I don't mind doing it. I'd rather do the restore and wait for a buyer who wants it - but don't want to be upside down on the darn thing. It is a stunning machine though. I love the colors and theme.

Need more votes!

#9 8 years ago

yea I found your site earlier. Definitely will be using it as a reference!

#10 8 years ago

Out of curiosity, does this have the inscription on the knife?

#11 8 years ago

Yes, it has the inscription on a near mint backglass.

Also, it has new Bally boards. Got lucky on that one, so it already has potential.

#12 8 years ago

Restore that baby! We can't have enough beautiful machines around.

#13 8 years ago

Magic eraser did wonders on the ball swirl on mine.

#14 8 years ago

I say restore it. Mata Hari is the best Bally SS chimer in my opinion and it is a personal favorite (of any era). Plus it is a beautiful game to look at.

--Luke

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Magic eraser did wonders on the ball swirl on mine.

I did have some success with ME/95% isopropyl on a small area of the PF but even with a light touch, I was starting to see the slightest bit of paint lifting, so I stopped.

Never got around to doing any more (the playfield suddenly seems SOOO big when you start working on it with those tiny 1" squares of ME...)

#16 8 years ago

Sell it - buy the EM and restore it.

Scott

#17 8 years ago

really? I way prefer a SS over an EM any day if they play the same. The reliability on a SS is undeniable.

#18 8 years ago

True, but very few of the EM's around. I think more collectors may be willing to pay a premium for one of a few nice em's.

#19 8 years ago

yea well... i have this one already. So selling to buy another is out of the question. :p

#20 8 years ago

If you put in a repro playfield, I think it's unlikely you will get your money back. There just aren't that many collectors around willing to pay a huge premium for a Mata Hari.

#21 8 years ago

I value all of these opinions. It's a tough one no doubt. Normally this decision is pretty easy for me.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from jcharlton:

I did have some success with ME/95% isopropyl on a small area of the PF but even with a light touch, I was starting to see the slightest bit of paint lifting, so I stopped.

Never got around to doing any more (the playfield suddenly seems SOOO big when you start working on it with those tiny 1" squares of ME...)

Really? I never had that issue. Also I had the Magic erasers from Target and they were MUCH bigger than 1"x1" but regardless it is always a good idea to stop at any sign of paint lifting that is for sure.

#23 8 years ago

Personally I hate the thought of parting out machines. Of course it would be nice to have a mint machine but to me a machine is what it is. These machines have years and years of use and abuse under their belts.

Unless you have a pretty strong attachment to the machine I wouldn't bother with a repro playfield but I would bother with a complete shop out and get the machine playing as best it can. I have a few machines like this that aren't very minty but they play just as good as a minty one would and maintain their life story and history.

I like to say to people, 'judge the machines on how they play, not how they look'.

Have some fun doing a bit of a resto on the machine and playing it afterwards then hopefully you will get your money back and maybe a little bit more to make it all worthwhile. Take pride in the fact that you saved another pin's life.

#24 8 years ago

If you value your time at more than $1 a hour, you never really "make" money on restoring a pin.

I say get the new playfield, and have a beautiful game.

#25 8 years ago

+1

Give the old girl a new lease on life. Better than parting her out.

#27 8 years ago

Hey, that's funny, I just got a Mata Hari too about a week ago dirt cheap. Thank goodness the playfield, plastics, and glass are in good shape. But, I have some electrical work still to do. New power and MPU, but now I think I may need a solenoid board too. I also have to repaint the lower cab (some kids painted it). I try to only spend what I absolutly need too. I considered the new playfield, but spending too much takes the fun out of it. So I've polished the payfield up, I would like to clearcoat this one. I'll also have to create some vector drawings for a cab stencil. I have the skill for it, so it makes this effort enjoyable. She's got a great attract mode!

#28 8 years ago

This past summer I shopped out my old Mata Hari. This was the first pin I bought when I got in the hobby. Sure, I'm upside down on it, but what the heck. It's a beautiful pin and fun to play. Revive it. It's a classic!

Here's a link to my blog post detailing my restoration.

http://www.duaneconnell.com/blog/?p=592

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Really? I never had that issue. Also I had the Magic erasers from Target and they were MUCH bigger than 1"x1" but regardless it is always a good idea to stop at any sign of paint lifting that is for sure.

Same here... Bally Playboy & Evil Knievel... scrubbed my brains out with ME & Isoprope and never came close to the paint, and was never really satisfied getting the swirls out either.

(and agree... all the ME's I've seen/bought are standard kitchen sponge sized... guessing they meant they cut the ME's down to 1" squares, to maintain "clean" sides)

To the original question... if you really like the game... restore.

Greg

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from castlesteve:

Yea. I've decided to do it

Awesome man! Show us some pictures when you get it all done.

--Luke

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
West Bloomfield Township, MI
$ 32.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside