Mata Hari SS won't start game

By Deverezieaux

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm working on a SS Mata which was buried in a garage for 30 years. I've spent a few weeks replacing a few coils that tested bad, all fuses, and replaced the MPU with an Alltek. I also cleaned checked all connectors and reflowed some contacts. Ran through the safe powerup at http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally/Stern#Powering_up_the_first_time and she started up and played her tune. The MPU flashed appropriately, all voltages are good, and she'll coin up, but will not start a game. I also ran through the self tests and everything from the general illumination, to displays, and coils seem good.

This seems like a common issue with Matas from the threads I've read, and I've tried a few suggested fixes. Checked the start switch for grounding, checked the wires that run from the start switch through the roll tilt, adjusted the outhole switch, and a few other minor adjustments. Probably not relevant, but the upper right score display reads 11 after a few seconds of powering up. Thought it was just a bookkeeping reference. I'm sure it's something simple, just looking for a nudge in the right direction.

#2 2 years ago

Does the start button register in switch test?

#3 2 years ago

Does it have the proper amount of balls inserted?

#4 2 years ago

Haven't seen a Bally game of this era not need at least one of the connectors rebuilt. If the previous MPU had alkaline damage, pretty good bet it corroded the pins in the connectors - of which the start button is part of.

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys. Let me answer your Q's then give a quick update.
- The self test shows if buttons are stuck Zacaj, and doesn't indicate any issues, including with the start. Not sure if there's a way to test this particular pin switch by switch?
- I believe Mata only takes one ball Rockwell, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
- I cleaned the connectors a few times but it is entirely probable one or more is bad Xenon. The MPU board was laying on it's back in storage so the battery leak coated the entire board, which is why I didn't bother trying to restore and went Alltek. I have a rebuild kit coming for the rectifier board connectors (they're not bad, but I want to rebuild anyway), and could easily order a kit for the MPU connectors. That will be the next step barring other options.

Here's the update since I first posted: I have been able to start a few games. On powerup the score displays show 00, if I press start quickly I can play a game. Once "11" appears in the upper right display start will not work. If I powerup and wait a while the display will show 00 and again I can start a game. After one game the problem re-emerges and can be cleared only by restarting or running through the diagnostics to reboot, but then it's the same issue.

I think this probably supports a connector issue on the MPU like Xenon was saying. I'm going to give them another cleaning, and if that fails I'll rebuild.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Deverezieaux:

- The self test shows if buttons are stuck Zacaj, and doesn't indicate any issues, including with the start. Not sure if there's a way to test this particular pin switch by switch?

This is a common misconception. It doesn't specifically show if buttons are stuck. It just shows which buttons are closed *at the moment*. So if you go to switch test, and then press the start button (or any other switch on the game), its number should show up on the display (assuming no other switches are closed, as it just shows the lowest numbered switch)

- I believe Mata only takes one ball Rockwell, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct. And most older single ball games don't actually care if a ball is in the game or not when starting.

Here's the update since I first posted: I have been able to start a few games. On powerup the score displays show 00, if I press start quickly I can play a game. Once "11" appears in the upper right display start will not work. If I powerup and wait a while the display will show 00 and again I can start a game. After one game the problem re-emerges and can be cleared only by restarting or running through the diagnostics to reboot, but then it's the same issue.

When it shows 11, it may be going into audit mode. It's possible your test button is stuck down, or otherwise malfunctioning? Try unplugging J2+3 on the MPU (these are how all the switches connect), and see if that stops the 11 from showing up

#7 2 years ago

That's good to know. I freely admit I restore arcade cabs, pinballs aren't my thing. They just keep falling in my lap. Knowing this I tried it and the start button does not show in the switch test. Other switches do.

Unplugging J2 & 3 didn't have an effect. I don't think the test button is stuck since it doesn't seem to cycle through test. I also tested the leads to see if it was stuck on. It just starts at 11.

Also, I cleaned the MPU connectors again and now the ball is being kicked out on powerup. I had this happen with another pin a while back and I can't remember what the culprit is. I feel like something is stuck or shorted somewhere.

EDIT: After I posted this I plugged J2 & 3 back in and the game was still playing as though they were unplugged. I unplugged power and plugged back in and now the game is playing perfectly. The start button issue has ceased. I've turned on and off and played several times now. I have no idea what changed? Loose connection?

#8 2 years ago

You sir, are due for re-pinning your connectors and replacing pins on the boards.

#9 2 years ago

I would suggest reflowing all the pins on the motherboard where the connectors plug In.

#10 2 years ago

Since the MPU was corroded, its likely the connector pins were contaminated, too. At a minimum, re-pin J4 to the mother board.

#11 2 years ago

I'm going to rebuild all the MPU connectors. Since the MPU board is a brand new Alltek, I won't be doing anything with that. For the time being it's still working perfectly, so I'll be doing mostly cosmetic work until the connector kit arrives. It seems pretty clear it was acting weird because of the MPU connections.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 199.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-ss-won-t-start-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.