• Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

I am planning to get a Mata Hari pin. My question is if there is any way to replace chime tones with a soundboard to make it more silent.

#2 4 years ago

The AS-2518-32 could be used in a game like Mata Hari. I think there is a service bulletin somewhere that shows how to wire it up. You would need the chime ROM too, I am not sure if anyone has ever dumped that one.

You could wire up a WMS rectangle sound board too. Would need a 12v center tap = earth transformer to do so. Then just find what ROM and sounds you want to use for 10pts, 100pts, etc by manually grounding the signal input plug to map out the sounds. Then wire the 10pt SDB transistor to ground the signal input plug so when it wants to fire the 10pt coil it stimulates the sound board instead.

To me the Bally chimes are great and I would not want to molest the game to add electronic sounds =D. The -32/-50 sound board is pretty sucky compared to the glorious bally chime box. The WMS sound board is better but would be odd to hear WMS noise in a Bally game.

#3 4 years ago

Thank you for your answer. When you say to wire a WMS rectangle sound board too, can you be more specific please because I m a newbie. Let me figure it out. As you say I can use a WMS rectangle sound board too, or maybe a generic card like “adafruit audio fx sound board”? So, I must give to the soundboard a 12v dc (or whatever need) and I choose 3 channels if card have more and give each channel a ground coming from chimes plug connector, to simulate 10’s, 100’s, 1000’s. Am I correct? The “trigger” for each chime from chimes plug connector is a ground or a positive current? I am confused.

#4 4 years ago

Yes, Bally made a sound board conversion for chime games, but IMHO even if you could find it and the parts it sounds awful and ruins the character of the game.
If your trying to make the game quieter try using a towel or rag draped around the chime unit.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from jdrossos:

Thank you for your answer. When you say to wire a WMS rectangle sound board too, can you be more specific please because I m a newbie. Let me figure it out. As you say I can use a WMS rectangle sound board too, or maybe a generic card like “adafruit audio fx sound board”? So, I must give to the soundboard a 12v dc (or whatever need) and I choose 3 channels if card have more and give each channel a ground coming from chimes plug connector, to simulate 10’s, 100’s, 1000’s. Am I correct? The “trigger” for each chime from chimes plug connector is a ground or a positive current? I am confused.

wire the driver board connections to go to the signal input connector of the sound board you want to use. Gottlieb, Bally, and WMS early sound boards could all be controlled this way. You would just have to figure out what chime coil goes to what sound noise signal input you want. If you do this make sure to disconnect the wire from the chime coil or 43v will back feed through the coil winding to the logic inputs of the sound board.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

This is basically the wiring the Bally service bulletin tells you to do when converting to the -32 sound board.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-soundboard?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.