IMG_2495.JPG
IMG_1477 (resized).JPG
03 pop bumper (resized).jpg
02 pop bumper (resized).jpg
PopBumper_Cap.png
IMG_1474 (resized).JPG
IMG_1470 (resized).JPG
26be0fd78cd37d8fb74b1ef39b5b3e7530f43e38 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyfan64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Recently acquired Mata Hari has rebuilt pop bumpers. They work about 90% of the time. But it seems if they are hit really hard like a direct shot from the flippers, they don't fire. It seems kind of weird that they harder they are hit, the less they work correctly. I looked at the switches. I made the gap a little closer. I cleaned them with a business card. No change. The spoon is new and looks centered. What should I be looking for? Thanks.

#3 7 years ago

This is the solid state version. There's only 1 set of contacts on these. Is it best practice to try to bend the leaf that's closest to the spoon or the lower leaf? Or should I try bending the angled piece that's below them both? I've tried all of them. I thought I had it as it seemed better but then it starting miss firing again. It looks like there are caps on these already.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for all the great tips guys. I'll play around with it and see what I can do.

#10 7 years ago

Great info. Thanks again guys.

#11 7 years ago

It's hard to tell from this picture but the pin in pushing down slightly on the spoon in the resting position. Too much pressure?

IMG_1470 (resized).JPGIMG_1470 (resized).JPG

#12 7 years ago

Need a magnifying glass but those might be diodes and not caps.

IMG_1474 (resized).JPGIMG_1474 (resized).JPG

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Yes every playfield switch has a diode. From the looks of the brown wire terminal there are remnants of where a cap used to be.

Yes I see that. Are the caps used to help with rapid fire like when the ball is bouncing between the bumpers? If so that's not really the issue. It seems to score perfectly when it's doing that. Issue seems to be that the lower portion of the bumper doesn't always register, especially when it's hit hard. By lower I mean around the 5:00, 6:00 or 7:00 o' clock position of the bumper.

#17 7 years ago

The bumpers were rebuilt but I think the spoon may be original. Not sure. I'm going to order some capacitors and spoons. Is this the correct capacitor? Do they just solder across the same lugs as the diode?

ebay.com link: 047uf 50V Ceramic Disc Capacitors Popular Value 15 PK

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

No they get connected to the same solder tabs as the wires.

Thank you.

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from klr650:

I'm still looking at the picture in Post#11. Is it just me or is one of those switch contacts upside down?

Hmm I see what you're seeing. I don't know. Could be. I just ordered the caps. Maybe I should order a whole new switch.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Actually, the capacitor goes on the lug that just has the wire only and the other lug with only the diode on it.
Zoom in on the first picture in this post to see an actual switch - the capacitor is the green disc.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-pop-bumper-switch#post-3719360
This is how it looks from a schematic point of view.

Thanks, I'll be sure to double check here before I attach the caps. I'll look at it again tonight after work. I'll post a couple more pictures.

#27 7 years ago

I'll try the adjustments but the entire switched should probably be changed if it's the wrong kind. I can't find it online. It looks like everybody is out of it. I'm going to call TNT since I bought it from them.

#28 7 years ago

I could be wrong but I don't think they are tungsten. They look gold to me. However they do look like the one blade is reversed on all 4 bumpers. How is that possible on all 4? Here's a closeup of the 1000 point bumper which works fine but because of it's location it doesn't really get hard direct hits. The possibly reversed blade has a tiny dome contact on the other side. On all the rollovers the flat contacts are pointed toward each other.

IMG_1477 (resized).JPGIMG_1477 (resized).JPG

#31 7 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. I managed to get the leaf turned around on one of the bumpers. After some fine tuning with the gaps, it seems much better. Fires every time. I don't have the capacitors yet but at least I know i'm going in the right direction. I'll work on the 2nd bumper tonight. Getting the switch apart was a little tricky.

#32 7 years ago

Well after a few days I noticed I was still having a few misfires. So today the caps went on. It's not pretty but so far so good. I'll give it a few days.

IMG_1500 (resized).jpgIMG_1500 (resized).jpg

IMG_1501 (resized).jpgIMG_1501 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phillyfan64.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-pop-bumpers-not-firing-on-hard-hits?tu=phillyfan64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.