You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pintool4 (resized).jpg
pintool5 (resized).jpg
pintool2 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Got a Mata Hari off eBay the end of last year in pretty decent shape in spite of some mice calling it home at some time in the past. Turned every piece of paper in pin to confetti but I have not seen any chewed wires at all. Rebuilt the flippers and was playing ball. Replaced all playfield bulbs with LED's and aside from a little flickering all was good. Earlier this month it stopped booting up and pulling out the molex connectors and re-seating got it back working, for a while so I ordered rebuild kits for all of them. Rebuilt the connectors on the rectifier board (which is a nice shiny replacement board from Gulf Pinball that came in the it) solenoid and light boards (forgot about the MPU connectors when I ordered but they are on the way now) Also installed new Alltek solenoid and light boards (she already had a Alltek MPU board) Fired her up and she came to life, back box clank and chime intro, press start button and get the chimes but "ball into play" solenoid, doesn't fire. Checked all fuse for continuity including one under playfield (that holder had some signs of age so I replaced it as well) Self-test most lights are on just not some on the lower field. No stuck switches and only solenoids 2-6 fire (back box and 4 chimes)

I see the lights for each solenoid test blink for each one on the Alltek board, does that indicate the board is trying to fire them and the issue is on the playfield?

What do I check next?

Thanks
Bill

#2 6 years ago

Well as it turns out, solenoids don't fire well without their 43V. The J1 connector that was on Mata
hari was a 8 space and did not have a key installed. Somewhere in my connector fiddling, I put it back one pin off, which I faithfully reproduced in my meticulous one by one swap to the new 9 pin connector. Luckily my second pin is a Strikes and Spares so I had model to confirm my goof.

The bobby pins I adapted to pin removal tools did a nice job removing the pins without damage. One just bent open and one bent open and the side lightly ground down to reduce it's width so it would not open up the Trifurcon Connector
bobby pins and my 8 pin connectorbobby pins and my 8 pin connector

first pin inserted, notice it is not full widthfirst pin inserted, notice it is not full width

Use second bobby pin to depress barb. I pressed it with a tumb nail until flush and gently pull out the pinUse second bobby pin to depress barb. I pressed it with a tumb nail until flush and gently pull out the pin

#3 6 years ago

Good to hear you figured it out!

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Good to hear you figured it out!

Thanks, it's amazing how stressed you can get when they don't work.
Now on the Deloris (Strikes and Spares) who won't boot. Her rectifier board is almost as old as me with rusty fuse holders. She's getting a new board. They say women in the same house have their cycles sync. Didn't know it applied to pins as well. Deloris stopped booting the day before Mata.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-playfield-solenoids-not-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.