• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0330 (resized).jpg
0 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi all. Super grateful for this knowledge base. I am hoping for suggestions to possibly revive my Mata Hari resto.

After a complete repinning, everything worked normally for a short while. Suddenly the 4 amp fuse blows
and after installing a spare SDB I now have no solenoids except the coin door, the chimes and the knocker.

As a bonus, most of the GI bulbs popped. Sockets on the right and lower side of the playfield read 18.3 VAC. Left side sockets and back box work ok.

Everything else on the machine works. (HV) Displays, scoring, feature lights, game start all work fine...just no playfield solenoids.

I am totally stumped. Have been through the connectors twice and the work checks out. Running Alltek boards with the exception of original the lamp board. I am coming to realize that once you migrate to the new boards, a lot of the testing advice you might find goes out the window.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

0 (resized).jpg0 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Did you repin the rectifier board? Do you have a wire off one position going to/from SDB and or rectifier board?

Look closely at the 7 or 9 pin (I don’t remember which) connector at the rectifier board. If you’re using a replacement board, some have an extra pin and you can connect to it one pin off.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from Sodajerk:

... I now have no solenoids except the coin door, the chimes and the knocker.

1 amp slow blow fuse under playfield is likely blown.

Once you replace it, double check your wiring on rectifier board connector J2. If that appears correct, remove J1 and J3 connectors on rectifier board and test voltages. Your troubles aren't likely due to the boards. Everything else in the game is 45 years old. That's likely where your troubles are coming from.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern#Attract_Mode_Test_Points

#4 1 year ago

So the under playfield fuse is good. I replaced it anyway to no avail. Cannot find a short either

Might anyone have pics of original Bally Mata Hari rectifier plugs and wiring? I am considering the pinball like transformer and rectifier board.

Someone had tried fixing the machine before I got it. Heaven knows what was done. Lesson learned

IMG_0330 (resized).jpgIMG_0330 (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

That is a new rectifier board with at least two of the connectors rebuilt. Manual will tell you if the wiring is correct for each connector. If the 4 amp fuse is still blowing, game shouldn't boot. I suggest you follow the link below.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Bally/Stern

#6 1 year ago

After replacing the solenoid driver board, as Billc479 asked you may have installed the playfield J1 connector one pin off at the rectifier board causing the playfield solenoids not to work and also sending 43 volts to half the G.I. lamp circuit on the playfield and blowing those globes.

From the picture above it looks like the J1 connector is now installed properly.

What are your current symptoms besides a bunch of blown playfield G.I. globes?
Do you measure 43 volts DC on both sides of the under playfield fuse?

#7 1 year ago

it may not be the case, but a strand of wire from solder lug 8 on the transformer looks to be touching solder lug 10 ?

#8 1 year ago

Rookie mistake. Rectifier plug j1 was off by one pin. In plugging in the connector, just by chance I felt the unused pin hiding in the back, totally out of view.

Thanks to everyone who took time to weigh in and provide guidance. The community here is fantastic!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 22.50
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-hail-mary and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.