• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Kharag
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello everyone,
I have a Mata Hari here that normally works pretty great, but sometimes the flipper just stop working and then a few seconds later they work again before stopping again. Usally just restarting the machine fixes the problem and I can keep playing for a few hours without a problem.
I also noticed when this problem occurs I can hear a clicking sound probably coming from the backbox(?), but I'm not sure if that's related.

Lastly I have to say I'm a complete newbie to pinball repairs and don't even know where to start looking, as this issue doesn't occur every time.
Maybe some of you have an idea what this could be and where I should look to fix it.

~Kharag

#2 1 year ago

The clicking you hear is the flipper relay on the solenoid driver board. Is the game resetting when this issue occurs? Either way you probably need to rebuild the connectors going from the mpu to the solenoid driver board. If the problem still occurs after that we can dive into what might be going on with the mpu.

#3 1 year ago

There is a jumper wire going to pin 25 of the J3 connector on the solenoid driver board, top right corner of the backbox. This jumper often gets loose or the pins it connects to lose their solder connectivity. Resoldering the pins and cleaning and tightening the jumper itself will fix this problem.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

The clicking you hear is the flipper relay on the solenoid driver board. Is the game resetting when this issue occurs? Either way you probably need to rebuild the connectors going from the mpu to the solenoid driver board. If the problem still occurs after that we can dive into what might be going on with the mpu.

Yeah, one time it also reseted itself, but normaly it does not. Will that make any difference?
Alright thank you, I will check the connectors and if the issue persists, I will report back.

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

There is a jumper wire going to pin 25 of the J3 connector on the solenoid driver board, top right corner of the backbox. This jumper often gets loose or the pins it connects to lose their solder connectivity. Resoldering the pins and cleaning and tightening the jumper itself will fix this problem.

Thank you as well! This definitely helps me and gets me an idea what I should do next. I will check all that on the connector.

#6 1 year ago

Dry joints are very common as a pinball ages, and Mata Hari is 40+ years old.

The flipper relay is a cube with a clear cover on it, to the left of the soldenoid driver board which is on the top right hand side of the backbox.

It is possible that there is at least one 'dry joint' causing this issue.

Looking at the back of the solenoid driver board, the solder side, where the 8 pins are for the flipper relay, two of them are slightly further away from the other six. Can you post a clear picture of this area?

A dry joint is where solder has cracked away from the pin.
It may look okay but it is not.

3 weeks later
#7 1 year ago

Redoing the connectors seemed to have solved the problem for now. But I guess reflowing all the solder joints would make sense and I plan on doing that some time in the future.
Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-flippers-sometimes-not-working?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.