(Topic ID: 265960)

Mata Hari Flipper Solenoid Issue

By krustykramer

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0866 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0950 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0944 (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

when my Mata Hari boots up the right flipper solenoid fires (flipper does not move) and when you coin up the right flipper activates to the up position (does not respond at all and stays there). To confuse the matter even more, when you push the right flipper button it activates the left flipper. Right flipper button does nothing.

During the self test, the flippers do not activate but the other playfield solenoids appear to be working. I have not touched the wires underneath the playfield and they were operating normally before I took everything out to repaint my cabinet.

Could it be a wiring issue from the solenoid driver board? Any other ideas?

#2 4 years ago

Resistance across coils are ~3.5 ohms and across EOS switches are .2 which I believe are acceptable.

#3 4 years ago

Check your connectors on the SDB and make sure you’re not off a pin. I think the upper left connector is flippers.

#4 4 years ago

Also test the diodes on the right flipper could be bad/faulty

#5 4 years ago

Thanks for the reply. Weill in an interesting turn of events I did have the flipper wires reversed on J1 of the SDB. I switched the green and orange (picture attached).

That said, I noticed I have an extra wire at pin 3 (picture attached). I booted up the game and now get zero response on all playfield solenoids during self test mode. checked fuse and continuity was ok.

IMG_0944 (resized).jpgIMG_0944 (resized).jpg
    #6 4 years ago

Check voltage on the playfield coils. If no voltage replace the fuse anyway. Also check the fuse holder and make sure the clips are solid and tight.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from krustykramer:

Thanks for the reply. Weill in an interesting turn of events I did have the flipper wires reversed on J1 of the SDB. I switched the green and orange (picture attached).
    That said, I noticed I have an extra wire at pin 3 (picture attached). I booted up the game and now get zero response on all playfield solenoids during self test mode. checked fuse and continuity was ok.[quoted image]

Called it!
    I was trying to get you to post pics of your plugs forever ago!
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-player-1-amp-match-credit-display-stuck#post-5553930

Did you get the altek back?

#8 4 years ago

Progress and we are SO close...

dothedoo Checked voltage on flipper solenoid & EOS's and getting around 43V so power looks good. When the game boots up the left flipper engages but returns to normal position. Right flipper does nothing at start up.

When you start a game, the left flipper immediately engages in an active position and stays there & the flipper button does nothing. Right flipper works A-OK. I lifted the hood and took a picture of the left solenoid & EOS switch and it appears to be stuck in an engaged position (open?).

I think this is a wiring/connector issue but I'd like your expertise & guidance.

mrm_4 - wrt the Alltek board Dave sent me a new one. The PIA chip was blown with a small hole in it and said he'd never seen that before. New board works fine...

IMG_0950 (resized).jpegIMG_0950 (resized).jpeg
    #9 4 years ago

forgot to mention I get around 3.4 ohms across both solenoids (left and right) when machine is off. Does this rule out a diode issue?

#10 4 years ago

SOLVED THE ISSUE - I restored the cabinet (picture below for fun) and screwed the left flipper switch too tight which caused the switch to be connected (open?) all the time. Adjusted the left flipper switch and all good!

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!!!

IMG_0866 (resized).jpegIMG_0866 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-flipper-solenoid-issue?hl=krustykramer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.