Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Billc479
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I am restoring a Mata Hari. MPU, Rectifier, Lamp Board, Test board have all been replaced. EVERYTHING WORKS EXCEPT the extra ball light and function. I've even replaced the lamp holder. So lamp holder is new, bulb is new, continuity exists from yellow/green wire at bulb back to lamp board but no voltage at lamp! Additionally, as far as I can tell the extra ball function does not work either. This is the ONLY thing that doesn't work. CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE.

#2 3 years ago

Sorry, I said test board but I meant the solenoid board....

#3 3 years ago

Using alligator clips, put one end on ground, and tap the metal tab on Q40 on the LDB - that should light up the Playfield Shoot Again lamp. This will verify your circuitry to the playfield. For the backbox, same thing, but Q3.

Not sure what to tell you about the game code not working. All I can suggest is to manually make the A & B lanes to light the extra ball to verify whether its working.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks so much; will try it tomorrow (I am at a different location right now)

#5 3 years ago

I should add that the self test button on the coin door demonstrates that all lights work, except the playfield "Extra Ball" light. Even the BACK BOX "Shoot Again" lights up (Q3 leading to pin 21 on J2) so I don't need to verify it. What is interesting is that I cannot identify a "shoot again" light in the Mata Hari playfield although I clearly see it identified as Q40 (leading to pin 22 on J3 in the wiring schematic (thanks Billc479 for pointing this out)). The one I had been referring to earlier that "has no voltage" is Q26 which leads to pin 7 on J2 (labeled " AB Value X Ball"). To check that voltage, while in self test mode, I checked each of the playfield lights in the "Making A & B Game Scores" row by simply touching the positive and negative for each lamp base. Each had adequate voltage except the playfield light for "Extra Ball" which had no voltage and of course it is the only thing that doesn't come on with the self test (and still don't know where the playfield "shoot again" light is even located).

I have not tried to manually make A&B lanes reach the extra ball requirement but I have reached the total score requirement for extra balls while playing and no extra balls came. I certainly will try the manual approach for AB.

Hope that clarifies my dilemma.

#6 3 years ago

Playfield shoot again is the red arrow on the right of the dagger, under the 5x bonus arrow

#7 3 years ago

Check your game switches, especially switch 32.

#8 3 years ago

OK Fantastic. I do 100% know that that red arrow "shoot again" (and thanks greatly again) lights up with the self test. I thought it might be a switch as the problem; based on what I just saw in the manual then I am assuming that switch 32 on produces a replay while switch 32 off produces an extra ball. Correct? Can't wait to try this hopefully simple solution. Thanks ever so much.

#9 3 years ago

Correct. Hope that takes care of the problem

#10 3 years ago

There is: a) good news; b) bad news; and c) terrible news. a) For the first time ever, the extra ball function actually works! I was able to manually get repeated extra balls flawlessly by using A & B scoring; b) Bad news is that other original problem of the "extra ball" light not working still exists (either actually trying to make it light up with a manual achievement of extra ball or via self testing, both fail); c) Terrible news: as I was finishing up, something happened, not sure what, and now the machine does not recognize the game playing credit button. While one can get credits and see the credits in back box, the credit game start button is just blank. If you have any additional thoughts about the extra ball light, I am happen to hear them. With respect to the new problem, I have some ideas (including maybe a cable problem...) that I need to try but was in a hurry and didn't have my tools with me. I sincerely appreciate the help so far. Summary with old problem: 1) It now functions to give an extra ball (1st time ever since I got the machine and since I have replaced all the printed circuit boards); 2) Extra ball light still does not work; 3) I tried erasing the memory on the alltek board as exactly per their instructions and that did nothing (hopefully that did not contribute to the loss of function for the credit game button). The alltek SCR new lamp board are different than the original product so if there is a suggestion as to tap into say Q26 (the one that ends up at pin 7 on J2 LDB which feeds the extra ball light) I would have to know which one of these tiny circuits to touch. Later today or tomorrow I'll try to get a photo of Q26 so you guys can see what I am talking about. Importantly this lamp board is brand new having just been installed only a few weeks ago.

#11 3 years ago

update: Game credit button works; must have bumped its connector when fiddling with other things. Unplugged and replugged the connector and game credit button function returned. Still with "extra ball" light not working. Here is a summary: a) New lamp board only 2 weeks old; b) new lamp base freshly soldered in and fresh bulb checked today with some magic and verified that they are intact and work locally; c) meant to recheck continuity today but forgot to; regardless I have previously checked continuity and it was fine; d) have verified that function now works; extra ball is delivered and "shoot again" lights up on back box and playfield. Despite all the above, light still does not work. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THIS BRAND NEW alltek BOARD HAS A BAD SCR? If so how do I verify this in order to get a replacement board? If it isn't something to do with the board I am running out of things to consider. Does anyone have any extra thoughts?

#12 3 years ago

Sorry I just noticed a mistake in my text: pin 7 fed by Q26 is on J1 NOT J2

#13 3 years ago

All, I have finally gotten the "extra ball" lamp to work. Problem is I have no idea exactly what I did to fix this but it appears to be a combination of the following: a) Clearing the memory from the Alltek mpu; b) Re-seating the connector that led to the game/credit button; c) letting the machine sit over night. Whatever evil humor was present has now been exorcised! I have done nothing since yesterday other than letting the machine just remain off. The light now works and I have a game that is 100% flawless. Thanks to all who are reading and great thanks to Billc479 who gave me the idea for the switch setting.

#14 3 years ago

Paul -

I suspect the connectors on the cable harness are causing issues. IF stuff starts happening again, look at the pins on the cable harness - if they are corroded, they should be replaced. I don't know your location or level of expertise, but replacing the pins can be tedious, so there may be someone in your area who has the experience/tools and could help you walk through it. Congrats on getting it going! Repairs are half the fun.

Bill C

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-extra-ball-light-function-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.