Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pin-it
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Is there anyone with a working MH-EM that can help a Bally noob/novice read a schematic and debug a startup sequence issue? The ball count unit won't reset all the way, the bonus unit under the playfield resets but needs a single step up to stop the motor or it runs on. It's not getting that step up signal. Also the drops register a hit but no score, the 50 pt relay seems to fail latch to complete motor pulses. I rebuilt the motor switches, I'm pretty sure they are adjusted correctly.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

I rebuilt the motor switches,

Could be the issue^^ did it work proper before the rebuild?
If you have the Bally owners manual along with the schematic,it will tell you within the general game operation what relay/score motor triggers the reset sequence.
For an example:>From a Bally Captain Fantastic as you can see how it shows its operation starting on page 2 of this link shows you the sequence.>>
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/438/Bally_1976_Capt_Fantastic_FULL_Manual_United_States_Domestic_.pdf

#3 10 years ago

As for reading the schematics in general, it's way easier than it looks.
You have a list of coils and their respective function. You find them out on the diagram, then follow the line all the way to the power source.
You have the color codes of the wires written on there so you can match them up to what you see in your machine, and you have the coil letter that the switch they go through is activated by.
From there, when you find the function that's not working, check every switch along the way.

One thing that helps too is making a jumper wire with two alligator clips and shorting out parts of the circuit until you corner the culprit.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Could be the issue^^ did it work proper before the rebuild?
If you have the Bally owners manual along with the schematic,it will tell you within the general game operation what relay/score motor triggers the reset sequence.
For an example:>From a Bally Captain Fantastic as you can see how it shows its operation starting on page 2 of this link shows you the sequence.>>
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/438/Bally_1976_Capt_Fantastic_FULL_Manual_United_States_Domestic_.pdf

Rebuilding the motor got it further along in the startup, no it didn't work prior.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

As for reading the schematics in general, it's way easier than it looks.
You have a list of coils and their respective function. You find them out on the diagram, then follow the line all the way to the power source.
You have the color codes of the wires written on there so you can match them up to what you see in your machine, and you have the coil letter that the switch they go through is activated by.
From there, when you find the function that's not working, check every switch along the way.
One thing that helps too is making a jumper wire with two alligator clips and shorting out parts of the circuit until you corner the culprit.

I'm fairly adept at fixing these, just can't seem to translate the schematic to the physical connections. The notes confuse the hell out of me. Need a crash course on Bally schematic reading.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from John_in_NC:

The notes confuse the hell out of me. Need a crash course on Bally schematic reading.

How are you going with this, Sorted, or still needing help?

#7 10 years ago

Stuck, have not looked at it since last post. I need to get this fixed and out, projects are piling up.

#8 10 years ago

I'm good with schematics but don't have a copy of Mata Hari, do you have a email-able copy?

#9 10 years ago

it's about a 10' long Scroll. I appreciate the offer.

#10 10 years ago

Anyone got a Mata Hari schematic in PDF?

#11 10 years ago

I did a bit more research and figured out how to read this, color codes and map jumps are no longer a mystery. Tried a little troubleshooting this afternoon, still has me chasing my tail, maybe tomorrow when I have a clear head.

#12 10 years ago

Just scan the bit of the schematic you need help with and post here. I have many other Bally schematics, for the most of it there the same.

#13 10 years ago

Problem resolved. It was a timing issue caused by my stupidity. I rebuilt the scoring motor. Removed cleaned all the cams and spacers, cleaned and adjusted all contacts. When I put the cams back on the spindle, they were flipped over so essentially the motor was running backwards logically. You can imagine the problems that will cause.

#14 10 years ago

Problem resolved.
Cool beans.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rehoboth, MA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-em-startup-and-scoring-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.