image (resized).jpg
IMG_0373 (resized).jpg
IMG_0375 (resized).jpg
IMG_0374 (resized).jpg
IMG_0372 (resized).jpg
IMG_0370 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Thank goodness for this knowledge base!

The Mata Hari that I am restoring is teaching me lesson after lesson. It has all new Altek boards and even a new transformer. I am about to begin the playfield swap, but wanted to get things stabilized and debugged before moving on.

It seems like component replacements sometimes bring more headaches than improvements.

I am replacing the drop target switches as the reaction chimes were sometimes going on longer than they should and at times the two stacks wouldn't reset after knocking them all down.

Replaced the four right side switches and everything played perfectly. I am thinking I am getting good at this. After swapping out the left side, the banks won't reset after all drops are down. Instead of the two bank reset, the saucer eject fires. I think I read somewhere that these two systems somehow share the same circuit.

BTW the bank reset works during test and game initiation, just not during game play.

Hoping for advice as to how to resolve this. I am on the cusp of reinstalling the old switches but I know I shouldn't. Could it be the switches behind the tombstones are cranky?

Thanks

IMG_0370 (resized).jpgIMG_0370 (resized).jpgIMG_0372 (resized).jpgIMG_0372 (resized).jpgIMG_0373 (resized).jpgIMG_0373 (resized).jpgIMG_0374 (resized).jpgIMG_0374 (resized).jpgIMG_0375 (resized).jpgIMG_0375 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Reset all drops, take the ball out of the game, and go into switch test.

Do any switches show closed? If so, fix that issue.
If you knock the targets down one at a time, does the correct switch number show?
If not, you have wired it incorrectly, a diode issue, or something is touching ground.

BTW-I’m not sure why you’d replace the switches, unless they were a mangled mess? You’re creating more work/problems for yourself. Sounds like it could have been a minor adjustment was needed, or a cleaning.

#3 1 year ago

Those switches appear to be wired incorrectly? That black wire that goes to all the switches should be on the other side of the diodes. Should be soldered to the leads on the side of switch so that the wires are going to the side of the diodes that do NOT have the silver band. The lead that the end of the diode with the silver band should have no wires soldered to it.

#4 1 year ago

Trilogybeer, I think you are right. Here’s the originals and the diode is reversed.

I blindly rewired it just like the original without noting that Marco shipped these with the diodes oriented different from the originals.

Will reply if this was indeed the fix.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#5 1 year ago

After seeing the original switches I think reversing the diodes ( and leaving the wiring as is) should get the switches/diodes back to the proper wiring. Assuming the switches are made the same as the originals.
Please see my PM for a more detailed explanation. I do believe once the switches are wired correctly and the contact points are gaped correctly your issues with the drop targets should be resolved.

#6 1 year ago

FWIW, Marco ships identical looking switches with the diode installed. Unless you test the new switch, you wouldn't necessarily know that the leaf connects to a different tab on these switches.

The diodes are oriented correctly. They simply use the other tab connectivity-wise. The solve was to connect the jumpers to the non banded side of the diode on the switch tab not connected to any leaf.

I really hope this helps someone else... Hat tip to Trilogybeer!

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from Sodajerk:

FWIW, Marco ships identical looking switches with the diode installed. Unless you test the new switch, you wouldn't necessarily know that the leaf connects to a different tab on these switches.
The diodes are oriented correctly. They simply use the other tab connectivity-wise. The solve was to connect the jumpers to the non banded side of the diode on the switch tab not connected to any leaf.
I really hope this helps someone else... Hat tip to Trilogybeer!

I wish I had done this when I did mine a few years ago. I wound up taking the new switches apart and rebuilding them to match the orientation of the old switches. It made the job way more difficult than it needed to be.

#8 1 year ago

You have the strobe wire soldered to the wrong terminal. The strobe should solder to the diode anode lug on the first target and daisy chain to the other targets. The diodes on the remaining targets are not used.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Boards
Troxel Repair

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-drop-target-reset-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.