Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5D86B7CC-1E5C-4250-BADF-21765D017363 (resized).jpeg
71643B7B-0D62-4959-8C5F-EBBFD8CE60AC (resized).jpeg
F18D8ED8-5787-4861-88FE-EFF1F9D12273 (resized).jpeg
ECD0F208-72ED-4314-8586-A2854940564C (resized).jpeg
2D8F369D-3E8E-479B-A64C-56D249DC314B (resized).jpeg
A65AB87D-3AB7-4A06-AE3A-71AE75573DB5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

EM guy and SS noob here.

Just got this nice Mata Hari in a trade and really only one issue I can find and it’s that twice during a game and once before I even started a game, it will cut out and the score displays go dark. Playfield is still lit up but it’s dead.

One time it rebooted back up just fine and I played a bunch of games with no issues and a couple of times it wouldn’t reboot right away but did after a few minutes. It’s not tilting because it goes dead (other than lights) and won’t kick ball out to the shooter lane.

I don’t see any burnt connectors.

Thanks for any help.
Danny

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Back to basics - check your supply voltages from the rectifier and solenoid boards. Pinwiki has a good guide for these Bally machines.
A few pics of the rectifier board and MPU will also help us in troubleshooting.
Is there a pattern to the rests? For example, only when hitting “X” target, only when using left flipper, etc.?

Thanks Bill, I will check the voltages and take a look at the Pinwiki page.

No real rhyme or reason with it cutting out that I can detect because one time it did it with me not even touching it after it had booted up for a few minutes. That one was when it was in attract mode.

#4 2 years ago

Just played a game and everything was great. Ball 5 drained, game over and 30 seconds later score displays go dark. Lights in the backbox and all playfield lights are still on.

I’ll post some pics of the rectifier board and MPU in just a sec.

#5 2 years ago

MPU and Rectifier Boards

2D8F369D-3E8E-479B-A64C-56D249DC314B (resized).jpeg2D8F369D-3E8E-479B-A64C-56D249DC314B (resized).jpegA65AB87D-3AB7-4A06-AE3A-71AE75573DB5 (resized).jpegA65AB87D-3AB7-4A06-AE3A-71AE75573DB5 (resized).jpegECD0F208-72ED-4314-8586-A2854940564C (resized).jpegECD0F208-72ED-4314-8586-A2854940564C (resized).jpegF18D8ED8-5787-4861-88FE-EFF1F9D12273 (resized).jpegF18D8ED8-5787-4861-88FE-EFF1F9D12273 (resized).jpeg
#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Boards look good - new, and nothing jumps out at me on the boards.
On the rectifier board, why is J2-10 taped? That is the power ground for lots of stuff. I am guessing it is a splice. Verify its good. Also, while there, give a slight tug on J2-9 & 10. I want to make sure those crimps are solid and they are locked into the connector.
Speaking of connectors, look at the MPU, J4 connector and see if you can tell whether it has been repinned. You will have to unplug it to look. While its off, look at J4 on the board and see if you any green "watery" looking stuff - that would indicate it was mated with corroded pins, which means J4 had not been repinned when the board was replaced.
The intermittent nature, along with new boards, makes me lean toward a connector issue. (Is the ground braid in the bottom of the head secure? There should be a screw or something holding the ground braid to braid from the belly of the machine.)

The ground braid is secure and screwed down. I’ll check the rest and report back.

Thanks a bunch.

#8 2 years ago

Bill, J4 MPU looks clean and all connectors are tight. Not sure if it was re-pinned but it looks in great shape.

The tape on rectifier J2-10 wasn’t a splice apparently. It had a small area of the plastic insulation that looks like it just slightly melted and they were being cautious I assume. Picture below.

I think you may have nailed the Rectifier J2-9, it was a little loose when I tugged on it I pushed it in but I’m guessing that I should re-pin?

Really appreciate your info and help.

71643B7B-0D62-4959-8C5F-EBBFD8CE60AC (resized).jpeg71643B7B-0D62-4959-8C5F-EBBFD8CE60AC (resized).jpeg

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Rectifier J2-9 is return for the flipper switches, so I doubt that was the issue. If the pin stayed in the connector, then it should be fine.
Do you have a spare MPU so that it can be ruled out?
What is making this difficult to find is the intermittent nature of the problem. My intermittent problems usually pop up on my machines when I’m having one of the best games I’ve had on it for quite awhile, and then, clunk.
Hopefully, others will chime in with ideas.

Yeah it’s happening again and just like you said, right in the middle of a good game last night.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Is your solenoid driver board new too? Maybe could be an issue with the 5v regulator on it if it's an original board

The solenoid driver board is new too. I’ll post a picture. Thanks for weighing in.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Agreed, Sea_Wolf, post a pic of the Solenoid Driver/Voltage Regulator board.
Also, have you repeated the socketed IC's on the MPU board? Support the board if pressing on the IC's in an installed board.

Here’s a picture of the new SDB. Thanks for weighing in and I’m not understanding your last question regarding ICs. Sorry I’m a rookie on SSs.

Could you explain the last part? Thanks

5D86B7CC-1E5C-4250-BADF-21765D017363 (resized).jpeg5D86B7CC-1E5C-4250-BADF-21765D017363 (resized).jpeg
#15 2 years ago

One last thing that I had mentioned above. Last night it cut out during a game when the bonus was counting down score displays go dark and playfield is dead but all lights are on. I’d turn machine off then back on and the game wouldn’t reboot for over 20 minutes. Then it would reboot like normal.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I started having the exact same problem on my Mata Hari. I figured it was because I need to repin connectors. I checked the voltages on my SDB and all the test points were dead on 5v or 12.5v which is why I’ve been thinking connectors.
I have crimpers but man I hate recrimping no matter what I do it looks terrible and I feel like the originals were better off when I’m done haha

Agree. The thought of re-pinning makes me ill because I’m terrible at it.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

He means to reseat the ICs by taking them out with an extractor and putting them back in the socket. When you push down on them, put some support behind the board so it doesnt flex.
But new solenoid driver board... Im fresh out of ideas. Seems like it has to be a wiring problem somewhere. Maybe check the main AC cabinet wiring and see if anything jumps out at you, then I would start repinning all the connectors that haven't been repinned yet that deal with the 5v supply
Maybe contact barakandl and see if you can send the MPU to him for bench testing

Thanks for the clarification. I’ll do those things first and if no better I’ll contact the board man.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Sea Wolf -
On the MPU board are several ICs (chips) that are in a socket. In other words, they can be removed from the board without desoldering. What MR Bally is saying is to pull up on them just a little bit, and then push them back down into the socket. Sometimes a chip will get loose, and reseating (He had a typo, which may have caused the confusion) the chip clears the problem.
If you go this route, you should take out the board to do it. You don't want to flex the board - flexing may cause cracks in the runs and lead to other problems. Before doing this, I would remove and reseat every connector to the MPU and see if that clears the problem. If you remove the board to reseat the ICs, you won't know if reseating the connectors or reseating the ICs was the cure.
I'm not sure what to think about the 20 minute wait for it boot. It could be a bad capacitor on a power supply. The next time this happens, take voltage readings on the rectifier board, SDB, and MPU. The boards should have test points to get these measurements.

Appreciate the explanation and I’ll keep chipping away at it with all your guys’ suggestions.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

In your collection it says you have an Eight Ball. Could try taking the MPU in the Mata Hari and testing it in there. Don't forget to change the dip switches on the MPU when swapping games

Yes I forgot about your earlier suggestion on swapping out the MPU board. The Eight Ball MPU is an original board. I’m assuming that makes no difference.

#26 2 years ago

Appreciate all the help guys. I’ll let you know what I find. Lastly, I just played a game and it cut out on ball 3, then it tried twice to reboot by itself and then it successfully rebooted by itself.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Did you get any voltage readings when she stopped working?

Well just before I broke out the multimeter and checked, I did what Knxwledge suggested in checking the MPU board to see if it was flexing. Not being SS savvy I didn’t see that there was a mounting screw missing on the upper left of the MPU. I put a screw in there and tightened it up so it was supported and that seems to have solved the issue.

Do you guys think that was possibly all that was wrong? And if so, what exactly did the board flexing forward cause the MPU to click on and off?

Really appreciate all the help from Billc479 , @knxwledge, MrBally and @mrm_4.

So far so good, 6 games and no issues. Thanks again,
Danny

#32 2 years ago

You guys are awesome and I figured I wasn’t done yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.50
1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sea_Wolf.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mata-hari-cutting-out-during-gameplay-and-before?tu=Sea_Wolf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.